Other Need opinion on strikeout

Aguynamedpat

NSA Super World Champion
We played in the ISA Worlds this past weekend in Winterhaven, FL. First game Friday night, umpire tells us in the pre-game meeting that 3 balls is a walk, 3 strikes you're out. So we are under the assumption that we start with a 1-0 count. Doesnt make any sense to us since we played 1-1 all year long, so our coach questioned him 2-3 times to make sure he was clear, and the umpire kept repeating himself. Our coach turned around and said to the entire team "apparently you start 1-0," and the umpire did not correct him at all.

Fast forward to our 2nd batter. He walks up to the plate and gets in the box. First pitch hits the plate, 2nd pitch is a called strike, and he usually takes a pitch until he has a strike on him. So the third pitch comes and it is a little high, so he lays off. Umpire rings him up. Our coach goes out there and pleads his case, and the field umpire comes in and the home plate umpire AGAIN tries to explain everything, and AGAIN says "you get 3 balls for a walk and 3 strikes for an out." Says all of this again right in front of the field umpire and the field umpire does not correct him.

It ended up with our batting being called out on strikes. Again we played 1-1 count all year long, but we were told before the game that you get 3 balls for a walk and 3 strikes for an out, and when our coach mentioned starting with a 1-0 count, the umpire did not correct him.

Its over and done with and did not end up costing us the game (2 inning ending out/offensive ejection homers didnt help though) :(. Just curious as to what you guys think about this situation.

Aguynamedpat

NSA Super World Champion
Umpire told us in pre-game meeting that 3 balls is a walk, 3 strikes is an out. Well, our batter got called out on strikes after 2 strikes.

surf24

ADDICTED TO SOMETHING NEW
Wow.....talk about an ump not having a clue. Sorry that happened to you guys. It is things like that that gives umps a bad name.

Aguynamedpat

NSA Super World Champion
Wow.....talk about an ump not having a clue. Sorry that happened to you guys. It is things like that that gives umps a bad name.

And we understand that umpires make mistakes, but its freakin Worlds. No excuse for this stuff when you are supposed to be the best of the best among umpires.

The crew we had Friday blew 3-4 calls and cost both teams numerous outs and runs. Every time they made bad calls you could hear the crowd talking too. We did not see them out there the rest of the weekend.

Aguynamedpat

NSA Super World Champion
what doesnt make sense about it.

if anything the OP was overly redundant.

Yep and thats how we were too Friday night, repeating and repeating it to make sure we had it right, hoping that if we did not he would correct us.

i have never heard of starting 1 and 0 that makes no sense

Didnt make sense to us either, but we were going by what the man in the green shirt told us.

Last year ISA started with 1-0 count though. That was a rule they changed this year.

shotcaller

Addicted to Softballfans
pat

it was a 1-0 with a courtesy foul ball,but if you had 2 called strikes you were out.called strike,fowl ball fair ball,fowl fowl fair.I dont know what complex you were at friday night but thats how i called it all the time per my instructions from th uic.i was at diamondplex fri night and auburndale all day sat till it ended.

Aguynamedpat

NSA Super World Champion
It was at Auburndale Friday night on the first field on the left when you walked in the main gate, first game of the night. See that is the most confusing explanation ever, and if that is how you guys were told to explain it then I blame the UIC. It should be explained "start with a 1-1 count with a courtesy foul on 2 strikes" just like it was all year long.

So you guys were TOLD to explain it that way by the UIC?

shotcaller

Addicted to Softballfans
how about this?

how about a 1-1 call with the strike and ball on the backside? 3 pitched balls you walk,2 strikes must be fair,unless the 2nd strike was a called strike.

Aguynamedpat

NSA Super World Champion
We went 2-2 and finished tied for 17th. Lost to Filthy Chaos who finished 4th, beat Full Count and Extreme (something like that), then lost to Outkast who finished 13th.

shotcaller

Addicted to Softballfans
cool

at auburndale i was on field 1 for the first 5 games then i went to field 5 for 6 in a row,had filthy khaos like 3-4 games in a row to end the night.

Aguynamedpat

NSA Super World Champion
Which one was field 1? I know the umpires we had our first game Saturday were very good. The field umpire would cut-up and joke around with both teams. After the game me and about 5 of my teammates went up to both umpires and shook their hands and told them what a good job they did. Definitely a breath of fresh air compared to Friday night.

Aguynamedpat

NSA Super World Champion
easy way around the whole situation....swing the bat.

If you are told you get three strikes, always take one, and the 2nd pitch is not to your liking so in your mind you have one more strike, would you swing at something you do not like?

And I know you're going to say yes and try to be "that guy" in this thread.

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans
After the game me and about 5 of my teammates went up to both umpires and shook their hands and told them what a good job they did. Definitely a breath of fresh air compared to Friday night.

I appreciate when guys do this, especially when they lose - it shows they get it. Before I started umping I always went up to the ump and introduced myself and made some small talk in the field. Not trying to get calls to go my way, just be a human being to the guy / gal. Granted, when I argued a call I think my line moved a little farther than most after that.

monstersoftball

Addicted to Softballfans
Fast forward to our 2nd batter. He walks up to the plate and gets in the box. First pitch hits the plate, 2nd pitch is a called strike, and he usually takes a pitch until he has a strike on him. So the third pitch comes and it is a little high, so he lays off. Umpire rings him up.

what im not understanding is you clearly state that the third pitch was called a strike and if the first two pitches were strikes, what is the problem? after that second strike why was he not swinging?

Aguynamedpat

NSA Super World Champion
Clearly state?.. Where do you see that he took three strikes? First pitch hits the plate, last I checked thats called a ball. Next pitch is a strike but he took it like he always does. He laid off the third pitch because he thought it was high, but the umpire called it strike three. We were told 3 balls is a walk, 3 strikes is an out, and this was only his 2nd strike.

shotcaller

Addicted to Softballfans
Pat

here is the exact wording from the ISA rulebook.....Rule 8 Note: IMPORTANT NOTE- ISA Slow Pitch has a 3 ball and 2 strike pitch count, and does allow 1 extra foul
Note: After taking a position in the batter’s box, a batter will be declared out when he does not swing
at a 2nd strike, or fouls the second strike and the next pitch is called a strike or a foul ball
Note: Foul balls will be live with runners being able to tag and advance with liability to be put out.
Exception: Any foul ball hit after the batter has used his courtesy foul will be considered dead. The batter will be declared out and runners may not advance...i know not all the umpires were consistent on how they explained this at worlds and by the rulebook it is ambiguos also but think of it as a 1-1 with the ball and strike on the backside.

44oki

Hillbilly
here is the exact wording from the ISA rulebook.....Rule 8 Note: IMPORTANT NOTE- ISA Slow Pitch has a 3 ball and 2 strike pitch count, and does allow 1 extra foul
Note: After taking a position in the batter’s box, a batter will be declared out when he does not swing
at a 2nd strike, or fouls the second strike and the next pitch is called a strike or a foul ball
Note: Foul balls will be live with runners being able to tag and advance with liability to be put out.
Exception: Any foul ball hit after the batter has used his courtesy foul will be considered dead. The batter will be declared out and runners may not advance...i know not all the umpires were consistent on how they explained this at worlds and by the rulebook it is ambiguos also but think of it as a 1-1 with the ball and strike on the backside.

this........has me like :confused: I'm too dumb for complex counts.

monstersoftball

Addicted to Softballfans
Clearly state?.. Where do you see that he took three strikes? First pitch hits the plate, last I checked thats called a ball. Next pitch is a strike but he took it like he always does. He laid off the third pitch because he thought it was high, but the umpire called it strike three. We were told 3 balls is a walk, 3 strikes is an out, and this was only his 2nd strike.

hitting the plate is a ball? i only play asa here in wisconsin and have never heard of that rule.