Need suggestions/input, oppertunity to create a new Church League.

greenpathy

Addicted to Softballfans
if you are speaking of the league in Selma/Smithfiled area, I have heard how bad things are all the way over in Clayton and Raleigh about that league..a lot of the tools that got run out of clayton and went that way to showcase there shaven bat skills...esp one team ( wood well done). it may not be the area im thinking of but it def sounds like it.

Psycho

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes Sir, you are correct greenpathy this is the Church League I'm speaking of, so you definitely know what I'm referring to and speaking of here. And yes Wood Well Done is definitely swinging glass for sure.

greenpathy

Addicted to Softballfans
i met a man down there last year (jon more), he has a daughter that is best friends with my daughter, and he was hosting a wiffle ball tourny at the fields..well i showed interest in playing with him that fall until he shed all the light on the same crap that you were talking about..i quickly rejected that and went to walnut creek, and play with the chargers and have loved it ever since...you guys have a mess on your hands for sure...your ideas are great for a wood bat league, or metal...ill verify 1st hand what your talking about..they played in clayton 1 year before being kicked out when one guy broke his bat and the ump saw it was tampered with threw the end cap..the end cap actually shattered and it was clear to see what had been done... one question.... do you guys not compression test your bats?? they do in raleigh and that helps alot..

Psycho

Addicted to Softballfans
i met a man down there last year (jon more), he has a daughter that is best friends with my daughter, and he was hosting a wiffle ball tourny at the fields..well i showed interest in playing with him that fall until he shed all the light on the same crap that you were talking about..i quickly rejected that and went to walnut creek, and play with the chargers and have loved it ever since...you guys have a mess on your hands for sure...your ideas are great for a wood bat league, or metal...ill verify 1st hand what your talking about..they played in clayton 1 year before being kicked out when one guy broke his bat and the ump saw it was tampered with threw the end cap..the end cap actually shattered and it was clear to see what had been done... one question.... do you guys not compression test your bats?? they do in raleigh and that helps alot..

No compression testing period, never been done there before, I have even offered to buy the bat tester, that was pretty much shot down quickly. No decal, no label no nothing on bats. The way things are going, the good players are simply not playing because of how it's been over the last few years and they're begging for something different/better and my children more enjoyable and less drama filled.

greenpathy

Addicted to Softballfans
hmmm, maybe you should come to Raleigh and just start playing asa ball. I know you probably live close to your fields but if you wanted im can ask my coach( team owner) if you can join us...

sleepin4matty

Management Material
League supplied balls sounds like your best bet. Umpire keeps all game balls to use for the following week until the next season. Wood bat sounds like a nice idea but are they going to be league supplied also?

Psycho

Addicted to Softballfans
League supplied balls sounds like your best bet. Umpire keeps all game balls to use for the following week until the next season. Wood bat sounds like a nice idea but are they going to be league supplied also?

More than likely both the bats and the balls will be supplied by the league.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
Our biggest challenge for making any type of changes is cost to the participants. Many in our league have basically $0 to budget for supplies (bats, balls, gloves, etc) so making any change to the rules i.e. bat or ball requirement changes would be hugely cost prohibitive. That's why I agree you would need to supply bats/balls.

The league we run we actually have a similar but different problem than you guys. I've found the league to be painful to play in because of the competitiveness (many act like it's the World Series) but many don't have the skill set/talent to actually make it competitive so for some, its dangerous. I wish we could garner more interest from other nearby churches but with the way softball is falling off I just don't see how we can maintain the league without someone getting injured

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Competitiveness is one thing I can deal with that ( not thinking it the world series type) but it is what it is..

Cheating with tourney/travel players in a church league and them swinging glass especially ,that's a big part of why softball is going down hill ..

greenpathy

Addicted to Softballfans
You really have to see ( to truely understand these tools he is speaking of). One look at these guys and even ray charles could see they reeek of cockyness, assholeness, jerkness , and several other select words that come to mind. Look its simple. They found a severe loop hold in your standards ( meaning they can really take advantage of your bat useage, balls, ect...). You need drastic change to weed out these fools.

moo1982

I love our church league rules.
Basic Utrip rules with these modifications.
We use league supplied ASA 52/ 300s.
No bat restriction.
5 run per inning except last inning.
HR Limit is up 3.

Now the fun part is how the coed is implemented.
We use the difference in females/ seniors between the 2 teams.
If one team has 2 and one has 1 the diff is 2.
Then there is a chart.
Differential.
+1 No free foul ball
+2 #1 and start 0-1
+3 #1 and start 0-2
+4 #1, #3, 1 less male in field

The other cool thing is it is no umps. We have a mat, on deck makes all calls at home. 1st base coach makes calls at 1st, 3rd base coach makes calls at 2nd, 3rd.

The great thing is games still go on with or without girls.

I have played in many leagues and this one is the most fun and relaxing.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
Those rules would just cause more problems for us. We have enough problems with one team vs the umpires, I can't even imagine how much worse it would be if they were calling their own balls/strikes/outs. They basically harass the paid umpires so much that they eventually get a handful of calls to go their way throughout the season. It's ridiculous. Our rules are SCMAF ASA with one major difference, all metal bats. Doesn't matter about association stamps but the bats have to be all metal, no composite at all. The head of the league has something weird against composite even being in the handle of a bat.