New glove dummy questions

LTB a new glove and I am a novice with what it is I want. I'll try to get some specifics of what I know and look for recommendations based off of that.

Small, not very flexible hand (wear M batting gloves)
Wear batting gloves with fielding glove
Traditional finger placement, index finger outside of glove
Close thumb to middle/ring
Like the idea of light weight glove (pitch) but also play outfield so 12.5 is probably as short as I could go, typically play 12.75 - 13"

Everything else is basically up in the air, thanks guys.

Maybe I should have clarified a little better, as this isn't a 'LTB' thread. I appreciate the offers so far but frankly, I need to be directed a certain way (manufacture, model, style, etc) that fits with what I've already described.

There's a lot of knowledge here (and passion), which is why I'm reaching out rather than heading to some retail store and just pulling the trigger on "a great deal".

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
1) Rawlings Pro3029 or Mizuno Pro Select GPS1-700DH.
2) Rawlings Pro601 (but you might have to go custom).

milocoman

Administrator
Staff member
You could go 3029 or 601 as suggested by Rous and then move wrist lace to smallest position to help with smaller hand.

Lightweight material you could look at any of the 12.75" hypershell Rawlings models they save considerable weight over all leather.

Nokona does offer a FP version glove with a velcro strap but they are generally some of the heavier gloves out there due to the tanning and oiling process they go through.

Sounds like the perfect glove for you may be the recent Wilson ASO Lab 12.75" model. Though it would be very costly, it has a fairly small hand stall.

Thank you for the input, it is appreciated. Now it's time to dig in a little deeper and weigh in the differences, and go from there.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Thank you for the input, it is appreciated. Now it's time to dig in a little deeper and weigh in the differences, and go from there.
The Rawlings 303 is generally preferred for softball over the 302 because the 303 is wider and better accommodates TIP (two fingers in pinkie). For a smaller hand, tighter fit and traditional grip, the 302 is the better choice. You can always swap on a wider web to get it to play as big as a 303, but still have the snugger fit (I did this and it was awesome). I think the mesh or hypershell versions are both lighter and often snugger (that was true for the mesh as they need to gather a bit more of the mesh in the seams when they sew the glove together).

I mentioned the 601 because you wear a batting glove (which snuggs up the fit). The finger stalls extend closer to the hand opening, so you get a little more control that way. You can also loosen the web laces (although this might require a relace as Rawlings does not give you a lot of extra lace to work with) to create a wider and deeper glove and pocket.

Drumbum37

Addicted to Softballfans
If you have a sporting goods store bear by that would be a good place to try different gloves out (if you're even able to). You can then report back here with what fit well etc. I too have small hands (M or even S batting gloves) and all I use now is Mizuno. Granted I probably went to the extreme (I have 16 now, tho about half are slowpitch worthy).