New PA Thread 2012 - Discussion & Softball Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Danger ... What area do u play in??

I play in the York City league at the Hoffman fields... we were in Division 6 this year...

Also has anyone heard any info on the tourny in loysville? I know a couple of teams going but no info on any of it. I've got a team for it just need the facts.

What association is sanctioning this tournament --- on Post#1 of this thread is a link to various association tournament schedules... you could check there...

%%%

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Well --- The Summer League Tournament has begun....

8/14/12 - 6pm

We gave up 1 run in the 1st 1/2 inning - then scored 7 runs as home team...

By the 3rd inning we had let them come back to within 2 runs....

At the beginning of the 5th inning we were up 17 to 8...

At the end of the 5th inning we run-ruled them 20 to 10...

That was a great start to finishing as winners.... I'm proud of our guys working every inning toward the goal...

I hit a triple to contribute -- perhaps my 1st one this year?? I'm not sure...

Thursday we play our next game -- If we win, we're only two games away from taking the title...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

8/16/12 - Thursday - 7pm

We now have to beat everyone in the loser's bracket to get a shot at the ship....

We played the #1 seeded team - therefore we were the away team - and for awhile it looked doable...

In the 1st inning we put up 4 runs then held them to none...

However, we just couldn't make every inning count... we stopped hitting for a couple innings... we also had some running errors where we ended up giving up three outs...

Going into the 7th inning we were down about 10 to 5.... we got back 3 or 4 but just couldn't keep it rolling....

Amazingly enough, I hit another triple to contribute in the 7th...

8/21/12 - Tuesday - 7pm - We Won
8/21/12 - Tuesday - 9pm

It's bad enough that we have to put up with inaccurate and inconsistent umpiring during the regular season, but you'd think that they would step it up a notch and give us a decent tournament game.....

However, in the bottom of the 5th inning, the other team cajoled and goaded the umpire into calling pitches illegal -- granted, I do pitch quite a few illegal pitches on purpose (which I expect to be called illegal), but even the legal ones he started calling illegal -- forcing me to pitch meatballs to the other team in order to get a strike call.... it was ugly..... after holding them even with us for 4 innings, all of a sudden the umpire gave them 10 runs without us even having a chance to answer...

I just hate when Umpires are inconsistent....

Thus ended our hopes of making the championship game back through the loser's bracket...

%%%

Last edited:

jaslucas19

Addicted to Softballfans
Benefit tournament on Sept 22 at upper Allen park in mechanicsburg. 125 to enter. For all the details the original thread is in the northeast regional forum. Or pm me

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
9/2/12 - Labor Day Tournament

This tourny has a 5-game guarantee -- Saturday is 3-games played to create seeding in different 'divisions' -- My team went 1W-2L -- I didn't play since I never play on Saturday (Sabbath)...

So Sunday morning we begin the Double-Elimination part of the tourny... we play at 8am --- make it a close game but lose....

We play in the Loser's Bracket at 2pm --- we have another close game and win...

Then play again at 5pm --- we keep the score close while staying ahead until the 5th inning --- the other team begins cajoling the umpire about my pitching and the blue begins to call everything illegal --- forcing me to pitch meatballs .... this lets the other team get back into it by tying up the game...

We switch pitchers for the 6th which works better but still getting valid pitches called illegal .... we put up a couple in the bottom of the 6th ....

The blue continues to call balls and strikes badly in the top of the 7th and we switch pitching back to me after getting down 6 runs --- we get out of the 1/2 inning but do nothing with the bottom of the 7th --- and lose....

So, we went L-L-W in the seeding, then L-W-L in the DblElim part... disappointing not to make it to Monday....

But there was one highlight of the day that I have to record (both for the team and for me)....

In the 2pm game, the other team goes ahead by one in top of the 7th... we get a few hits in the bottom and tie the game .... then a few more and we have the bases loaded with only one out.... the coach held up the runner at 3rd from attempting to score thinking "we still only have one out, we'll just get a simple hit and win the game" .... well, as fate often does, it stabbed us in the back...

The next hitter comes up and lines one into short center field --- all the runners think it's a good hit and start off to the next base ... but the right center is playing short and makes a shoestring catch .... everyone starts heading back to their bases to tag up, but our guy on 2nd (the closest play) can't get back in time and there's the double play to end the inning - tied...

We hold them in the top of the 8th and therefore only need one run to win... So, after two outs we only have a guy on 2nd base - one of our slower runners --- we sub a younger player for him (who happens to love diving for bases head first)...

They give the next batter an intentional walk to create a force on the lead runner.... and I'm up to bat.... two outs, with the winning run on 2nd base....

As I step into the box, the only thing I'm thinking is 'watch the ball' --- which is a fairly nice pitch which I intend to hit to right field --- but I get it much more centered (between the pitcher and 2b) --- although it's a solid line drive about 2-feet high that goes through to the outfield ---

The guy on 2nd takes off on the hit, rounds third, and heads home --- I make it to 1st base easily ... the ball is taken by the short RC and thrown to the 2b who bobbles the catch, then retrieves it and throws home --- I turn around to see how the play is going to turn out....

As I look back into the plate, all I see is our guy (from 2b) in a Superman (in the air) leap toward home plate as the ball is getting there and then... A HUGE CLOUD OF DUST..... He must have slid about 4-6 feet and made the score to win the game .....

I'll remember that one for quite awhile....

Well --- Fall ball starts in one week now --- early this year --- so hopefully we'll get it done before snow falls in November...

%%%

Last edited:

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Out for BP yesterday (Sunday) --- on short notice, three other players showed up to take some swings and get some fielding practice...

What a beautiful day.....

A few other guys from another team stopped by, joined in and we ended up hitting/fielding for about 2 hours...

Tuesday is the start of Fall Ball --- should be good weather this full week....

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Fall Ball....

9/11/12 --- 1st let me say how proud I am of all the heroes of 9/11/01 -- Including those on Flight 93 who deliberately saved others by giving their own lives...

It was a beautiful night for softball --- a little on the cool side --- but we couldn't hit to save our .... game .... we went down in 5 by the 10 run rule .... and our defense was about as cold as the evening air....

9/13/12 --- another beautiful evening -- pleasantly cool ---

Tonight we hit early -- but really only barely did enough -- we let them hang around and they almost tied it in the top of the 7th -- but we held firm on defense and shut it down to win --- 10 to 8 ....

I had only one hit, but it was a 2 rbi triple to right field that was in and out of the glove of the rightfielder... whew!!!!

9/19/12 --- Rain delayed from Tuesday - Beautiful night ---

But we did not hit until the top of the 7th inning --- too little too late --- we could not make up a deficit of 9 runs --- only coming back enough to lose 11 to 7 ...

9/20/12 --- Another beautiful fall ball night ---

We found the hits that were missing from last night --- we hit every inning and our defense helped to hold the other team to 9 --- this was the same team we could not beat during summer ball --- we scored 19 runs by the bottom of the 5th inning to end the game ... many good hits tonight including a few by me ...

Last edited:

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
9/25/12 --- another beautiful softball evening -- pleasantly cool ---

Once again, a slow start tonight --- by the 3rd inning we had given up 10 runs (a few too many missed catches in the outfield) -- I deflected a couple (instead of catching/scooping them) -- and we definitely were not all getting the necessary good hits ---

But we hit a little more while holding them at 10 --- and by the Bottom of the 7th (we were home team) they were ahead by 10 to 5 ... then finally we began to hit and put up 5 runs to tie the game before the rally ended... including my line shot inside 1B to drive in 2 of those...

8th inning - they put up two runs and we were only able to put up one for ourselves in the bottom of the inning... Another close game but another loss! Our record is now L-W-L-W-L

(I hope we win Thursday but I don't want to keep this pattern going... it should be alot more W's)

9/27/12 --- a rainy evening for softball -- but we played anyway ---

It started to lightly rain at the very beginning of our game -- it rained for 20-25 minutes, thru the 4th inning or so....

We ended up tying the game in the top of the 6th inning (we were the away team) -- then we allowed them to put up 2 runs in the bottom....

We had our chance in the top of the 7th... but we failed to answer ... so down we went....

L-W-L-W-L-L

Last edited:

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
We might get rained out tonight-----

How about the rest of you guys posting up some stuff???

How was your summer season?? Are you playing in Fall Ball??

What's your team like? Good? Bad?
Terrible and you're thinking of quitting??

10/3/12 - and we were still rained out tonight...
so it will be made up Monday (if no rain)...

%%%

Last edited:

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
10/4/12 --- Our game at 9pm was a little cool but...

We nearly lost it in the middle innings to a 10 run rule --- but we pulled out of that and made a game of it.... we came within 2 in the final inning but just could not get enough... :(

10/8/12 --- Tonight was quite cool - with a drizzle of rain before and during the game --- This is the makeup game from a rainout last week...

By the bottom of the 4th inning we were down 9-2 ... but we hung in there... we generally are committed to keep trying and usually have some type of uptick in the later innings....

So tonight we ended up with a two out rally... we got at least 3-4 runs that inning and held the other team to zip in the bottom of the 5th...

We put up a few more runs in the top of the 6th to make it 10-9 in our favor... then they put up one to tie the score...

In the top of the 7th, we kept trying and put one more on the board to break out of the tie... then we held firm in the bottom of the 7th to eek out the win after being that close | | to losing it in the 5th...

So, all in all a good game (I had a line drive past 1b, a short pop up in right that was uncatchable, and walked once)...

Our record is 3 & 5 > L-W-L-W-L-L-L-W < with 6 more games in the season...

We have two more games this week...

%%%

Last edited:

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
10/09/12 - Another cool fall Tuesday evening --- reasonably nice until the last inning when it started raining

We were the away team but we hit every inning -- and very hard -- by the bottom of the 4th inning we were up 22 to 9...

Then we let them get back into it....

We ended the evening in the bottom of the 6th when we held them to zero runs to win 26 to 16...

10/11/12 - A very cool night...

We were the home team but by the bottom of the 4th inning, we were doomed.... and put out of our misery in the bottom of the 5th inning... :(

%%%

Last edited:

gfrmedic

<font color="#551A8B">OG Pirate Aaarrgghh!</font>
Bp

If Anyone in the Gettysburg area would like to hit some this weekend shoot me a pm. I am in town at the National Fire Academy in emmittsburg and would love to get some swings in Saturday or Sunday. Thanks Chris

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
10/16/12 -- Another nice fall evening (we've been lucky with weather this fall)

We hit well in the early innings - and held them down with our defense...

We beat them in the 5th inning where we were up 10+ and they were the home team... but we held them from scoring...

10/18/12 -- With rain threatening, it was still a mild fall evening

We hit early -- we held them with our defense... they were the home team...

They tied it up in the 3rd inning --- then we got a few runs in the 5th to go ahead again... and held them again...

We were up 16 to 8 going into the 6th inning -- we were looking to get 2 extra runs to 10-run them .... instead, we put up 7 more runs thru the top of the 5th inning....

In the bottom of the 6th inning, it started spritzing rain... just enough to be a nuisance.... we got two outs but they put two guys on base... then their bruiser came to bat...

My coach had directed me to 'roll him 3 pitches'... said if I didn't want to do that, he'd pull me out of the game and do it himself :rolleyes: .... The guy had beed talking trash most of the game and apparently was interested in taking me out as some of our guys had had hits up the middle around the pitcher...

So, I'm a team player, and I listen to my coach --- I pitch one - - it goes 45' and hits the ground about 10' out from the batter - he stares at me - I stare at him - and we both know what is coming .... I throw two more pitches exactly like that.... and he bitches all the way to 1st base ---

Of course, my coach is telling him I did it because the coach was tired of him trash talking all night -- he couldn't hold his temper any longer and let out a very loud F-U from 1st base --- whereupon the plate ump threw him out of the game and their team forfeited... which didnt' surprise the coach at all... :(

That's not my style - I wanted to pitch to him and get the out --- but the coach insisted that if I wouldn't do it, he would....

Our record is 6 & 6 > L-W-L-W-L-L-L-W-W-L-W-W < with 2 more games in the season...

dropzone

Part Time Player
Just wondering if there are many people from the eastern part of the state that reads these forums. I always see a lot of stuff happening in NJ but not much on this side of the river.

JDM215

Addicted to Softballfans
Just wondering if there are many people from the eastern part of the state that reads these forums. I always see a lot of stuff happening in NJ but not much on this side of the river.

I come through here once in a while but there's not too much action here to take part of

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
10/23/12 -- A very mild fall evening but with fog rolling through the outfield... really weird...

We hit early and held them with our defense... We were the home team...

By the top of 5th inning we were ahead 8 to 5.... in the next few innings we put up 6 more runs and they were only able to add 2 runs to their total....

We won with a final of 14 to 7...

Our record is 7 & 6 > L-W-L-W-L-L-L-W-W-L-W-W-W < with 1 more game in the season...
(We need to win that one also in order to make the playoffs)

%%%

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Dropzone & JDM215 ...

If you look at the 1st post in this thread, it lists the associations for finding tournaments being played ... it also lists some of the most popular ball fields across the state.... Also, this regional section sometimes lists tournaments in separate threads that pertain to PA....

It would be great if more PA folks would post in this thread regarding their softball activities ....

How about it???

%%%

coolcatkoko

Addicted to Softballfans
Why does Philadelphia county suck so bad when it comes to composite leagues?

Wish I could find more local tournies here.....even if they are ASA!

JDM215

Addicted to Softballfans
If you wanna play in a tourneys lmk. There are none in Philly but there a lot of good competition in Delaware county which most are ASA sanctioned. There is also an NSA league in Marcus hook

BigDann17

Addicted to Softballfans
I play in the Norristown league and then also in Kennett, downingtown, and down in Delaware sometimes.
Where do you guys play?

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
The Fate of Our Season

BWBW1370.jpg

With a number of fielding errors, our season slipped away into the ether of history....

We tied the game at one point, but then just couldn't keep from giving away more runs.... including a bases loaded walk.... :(

In the end, in spite of being home team, we just couldn't muster the firepower to put up the 5 runs we needed.... we went down in the bottom of the 7th: Out-Out-Single-Out...

So, the longest intermission between games begins.... It will be a long 5 months before our team competes together again...

Only those rare 60-degree days in December, January or February will keep the spark alive until it flares up again in April...

Just wait --- we'll WIN IT ALL next season.... (yeh, that's right, next year we'll be great!!!!) :rolleyes:

%%%

(10/30-7884)

Last edited:

JDM215

Addicted to Softballfans
I play in the Norristown league and then also in Kennett, downingtown, and down in Delaware sometimes.
Where do you guys play?

We play all over Delaware county. Have you played in any of the tourneys in Kennet? Like the charity challenge?

BigDann17

Addicted to Softballfans
We play all over Delaware county. Have you played in any of the tourneys in Kennet? Like the charity challenge?

Yeah but not this year. That was August 11th right? I had a work meeting that weekend. I was supposed to play with O'Mally's or something (I think they may have won it).

JDM215

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah but not this year. That was August 11th right? I had a work meeting that weekend. I was supposed to play with O'Mally's or something (I think they may have won it).

Maggie O'neils? and yea they won it. very good team.

Status
Not open for further replies.