New pitcher!

CBWAninjas

hey y’all, I pitched my first slow pitch softball game with our rec league. I did decently giving up 6 runs in 5 innings but the last inning I struggled getting the ball to the plate. I would love to know your tips on getting some power (to get the ball over the plate) to not tire out so easily.

Thank you.

CBWAninjas

I've pitched 8 games in a day multiple times, my tip is get in decent shape. Its bending over and pushing a 12 oz ball 50 feet underhand. Seriously here, stop reading into this and go jog for 30 mins.

Thanks! Not being in shape to pitch is not the case here for me. I was asking for pitching mechanics help.

Country469

If you need power on an underhand pitch to "not tire out easily" during a one hour rec game, yes its your endurance that is the issue. its underhand softball, what kind of mechanics do you really think are going to help you?

basilray

It's all mental.

As the game goes on, just focus on your release point. The more you pitch, the better you'll get at understanding where you need to release the ball to hit various spots. If you're conscious of where the ball is leaving your hand in relation to where you're trying to put the ball, you'll likely become more consistent in the later innings.

Normy

Mark off 50' and throw baby throw. Experiment with different grips, releases etc and find what works best for you.

THESHOE

Starting Player
Hot ice man. Lots of hot ice.

In all seriousness, maybe experience and just doing it often?

I vary my pitching depth as strategy, not so much fatigue. I try to switch things up a bit batter to batter, inning to inning. I may take a step in if coming up short.

It's effin lob ball. The effort is more in keeping your head up and alert AFTER the pitch.

Lobbing strikes is the easy part (unless it's windy AF and lobs stop holding a straightish line in)

blakcherry329

It's about getting into "pitching" shape. If you're new to pitching, then your body has to get used to the pitching motion. it looks easy, but it's not as easy as it looks.
Just pitch BP every chance you get. It's just like any other skill you want to get better at, practice. You don't need power, you just need the correct mechanics and build up some stamina in your legs and arm.. Watch some videos and practice.

huzzdog

retired
it's classic.. in warmups everybody wants to show you how good they throw a knuckle ball... it's easy till greg connell buzzes one 400 ft an inch from your head

THESHOE

Starting Player
Yes keep breaking it low outside on a power hitter 3rd strike scenario.... Smart....

Same pitchers who'll cry when you zip it within 30ft of them over their heads or up an IF gap.

I am very familiar with these types.

You ever notice its always some old ass man doing this and its never pitching to a decent hitter to show how easy it would be to smash a pitchers face off with who throws that ****?

I pitch my warm up in a way that looks like garbage or completely different to how I will go about pitching the batters. They all watch warm ups as if you're showing them your stuff. I will pitch deep af and then come at them nibbling front edge because they go set up back of box after watching. You'd be surprised how little people catch on to that. Some you play all season.

it's classic.. in warmups everybody wants to show you how good they throw a knuckle ball... it's easy till greg connell buzzes one 400 ft an inch from your head