New Rawlings HOH Custom in Golden Brown

mpk

Extra Hitter
Hemmed and hawed quite a bit about what to do for a custom gift for my son. I settled on golden brown after seeing a couple pics on IG that really peaked my interest. There wasn't much info out there on golden brown but I decided to take the plunge anyway. Since I couldn't find much on golden brown, I thought I'd post some pics under different light conditions here for anyone thinking about this leather in the future.

Details:
-Pro204-2 pattern 11.5" w/ narrow fit
-Golden brown HOH leather and binding
-Tan lace
-Traditional scarlet patches and scarlet embroidery
-Vegas gold stitching
-Grey split welting
-Dark tan palm liner
-Leather palm pad
-BOA wrist liner

Only thing I don't really care for is the MLB logo :(.

Thanks to Chad for making it happen at a good price. It came just in time for them to cancel the start of our season here in WA due to coronavirus. D'oh!

MPK_2395.JPG MPK_2397.JPG MPK_2399.JPG MPK_2400.JPG MPK_2401.JPG MPK_2417.JPG MPK_2419.JPG

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
mpk, man that is beautiful, your son is going to be blown away, he’s a very lucky kid! Great photo skills too, that’s one of the best looking gloves ever posted here since I’ve been hanging around!

And I’m with you on the MLB logo, a flat out NO! If I were to do another custom, I’d do it this time with scarlet embroidery, don’t own one with scarlet.

Fed-Ex dropped off my new NP5PRO at work after I’d already left so I never saw it, and like you said, the day after they pulled the plug on my MS baseball team! :mad:

******Hey, just realized that NP5PRO has scarlet embroidery! :D So never mind!

Again, beautiful glove, you made great choices!

mpk

Extra Hitter
It really is a beautiful glove. I'll post some comparison pics in a day or two with my horween KB17 and my Jtan Pro1000. Wish I still had a Wilson Saddle Tan to compare it to since that's the color it makes me think of most.

mpk

Extra Hitter
mpk, man that is beautiful, your son is going to be blown away, he’s a very lucky kid! Great photo skills too, that’s one of the best looking gloves ever posted here since I’ve been hanging around!

And I’m with you on the MLB logo, a flat out NO! If I were to do another custom, I’d do it this time with scarlet embroidery, don’t own one with scarlet.

Fed-Ex dropped off my new NP5PRO at work after I’d already left so I never saw it, and like you said, the day after they pulled the plug on my MS baseball team! :mad:

******Hey, just realized that NP5PRO has scarlet embroidery! :D So never mind!

Again, beautiful glove, you made great choices!

Thanks! He really earned it. Got straight As the first two semesters this year in school and holding strong on that front currently in an acedemically rigorous school. Plus he's started really working at getting better with sports, asking for me to work out with him, etc. He has even has toned back pestering his little sister which is my personal favorite!

mvfjet

Part Time Player
This is probably the lightest looking golden brown I've seen. Beautiful glove. Still undecided on golden brown or Chocolate brown.

mpk

Extra Hitter

mpk

Extra Hitter
This is probably the lightest looking golden brown I've seen. Beautiful glove. Still undecided on golden brown or Chocolate brown.

Have you seen many in person? I have not seen any other than this one. The few pictures I could find online appeared to vary quite a bit in their tone - I think it depends on the lighting and camera and maybe a little bit on what other leathers it was paired with in the picture.

I tried to keep the tone of the leather in these pics true to life.

mvfjet

Part Time Player
Have you seen many in person? I have not seen any other than this one. The few pictures I could find online appeared to vary quite a bit in their tone - I think it depends on the lighting and camera and maybe a little bit on what other leathers it was paired with in the picture.

I tried to keep the tone of the leather in these pics true to life.

I have not seen GB in person. This video the kid says he got his custom Rawlings in GB and it looks darker than yours.

Also the other thread where someone found some GB pictures on Instagram it looks darker.

mpk

Extra Hitter
I have not seen GB in person. This video the kid says he got his custom Rawlings in GB and it looks darker than yours.

Also the other thread where someone found some GB pictures on Instagram it looks darker.

Lets take a quick detour to talk about camera exposure because I think this explains what's going on.

The exposure meter in most cameras that controls how much light the lens lets get to the sensor wants to even things out. Some exposure meters are smarter than others. Often if there is contrasting areas of light and dark the meter will want to make sure the light areas are not too light (blown out highlights). This videos is like the worst possible scenario - white wall with a dude in a black shirt in front of it. The camera just sees the lit up white wall, doesn't want it to be too bright so it darkens everything. Look how black dudes shirt is. When someone wears a black shirt in real life it doesn't look THAT black.

That's why the leather looks dark, the exposure his camera used was not right and everything is underexposed.

It's a bit more complicated than that in reality and there's some other factors like color temperature but that's my simplified explanation. Of course there's natural variations to leather that may be at play here but I think in this specific example, his camera exposure is lying.

mvfjet

Part Time Player
Lets take a quick detour to talk about camera exposure because I think this explains what's going on.

The exposure meter in most cameras that controls how much light the lens lets get to the sensor wants to even things out. Some exposure meters are smarter than others. Often if there is contrasting areas of light and dark the meter will want to make sure the light areas are not too light (blown out highlights). This videos is like the worst possible scenario - white wall with a dude in a black shirt in front of it. The camera just sees the lit up white wall, doesn't want it to be too bright so it darkens everything. Look how black dudes shirt is. When someone wears a black shirt in real life it doesn't look THAT black.

That's why the leather looks dark, the exposure his camera used was not right and everything is underexposed.

It's a bit more complicated than that in reality and there's some other factors like color temperature but that's my simplified explanation. Of course there's natural variations to leather that may be at play here but I think in this specific example, his camera exposure is lying.

Pro207 or 208 might be with what I go with. I like the bowl shape of the pocket. Is it TIP friendly?

mpk

Extra Hitter
Pro207 or 208 might be with what I go with. I like the bowl shape of the pocket. Is it TIP friendly?

Like @ANNASDAD says, very TIP friendly. My horween KB17 is the same pattern as a Pro207 and I use it TIP for softball infield. When worn TIP the pocket is a perfect size for a 12" softball for infield play - fully wraps the ball but is not huge.

MaverickAH

Like @ANNASDAD says, very TIP friendly. My horween KB17 is the same pattern as a Pro207 and I use it TIP for softball infield. When worn TIP the pocket is a perfect size for a 12" softball for infield play - fully wraps the ball but is not huge.

I always have an issue whenever someone says something like this. A glove of a fixed size has a fixed pocket. Now how a person chooses to break in their glove can affect how it plays or how much of the pocket they actually use. Wearing your glove TIP may fool you into thinking that you have a bigger pocket, but in reality you don't.

It's been 25 years since I had the idea to actually study how my hand & arm moves when catching a ball barehanded. My thought was why wouldn't I want my glove to act in concert with the natural movements of my hand & would it be possible to break in a glove in a way to maximize the relationship? I totally ignored the so-called "break points" & concentrated on molding & breaking in my glove specifically to my hand movements & positioning. It worked like a charm! My field percentage (already very good) improved & everything just felt more natural. Now to be clear, in addition to breaking in my glove this way, I also put in the work. Improving my technique, footwork & reaction time was just as important but having my glove perform in a way that naturally suited me was key. Some gloves are very break-in specific while others are more "flexible". I will always select the more flexible design.

What's interesting is that I never really heard of TIP until this board. I always use my gloves traditionally but when I curiously played around with TIP, it turned out that the way that I break in my gloves transfers well to its use. FTR, TIP just doesn't feel natural to me.

Mpalm18

A few more along with my horween KB17 for comparison of the leather color. Note: the KB17 has seen a season of infield work and a couple coats of Pecard glove conditioner which has darkened the leather a bit.

View attachment 62466
View attachment 62467

View attachment 62468
This is the comparison I’ve been hoping to see. There are some out there between Timber and GB, but this is great. Beautiful color. I’ve been compiling funds for a GB custom in the near future and these pics are making me more excited to finally pull the trigger

mpk

Extra Hitter
This is the comparison I’ve been hoping to see. There are some out there between Timber and GB, but this is great. Beautiful color. I’ve been compiling funds for a GB custom in the near future and these pics are making me more excited to finally pull the trigger

If you like what you see here I wouldn't hesitate. It's a gorgeous leather, especially with the split gray welting. I had also mocked it up with royal patches and embroidery since that is typically our team colors but decided red was less risky. Now that I see the leather, I bet royal would look great too.

royal.jpg

No idea how it will wear but the texture feels and looks very similar to HOH JTan.

Timber is all the rage right now and for good reason - it's beautiful too. But, if you want to have a classic looking glove that nobody else in your league has, GB is the way to go.

If someone wants to send me a timber glove I'd love to take a load of pics for comparison and send it back to you!

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Great pics mpk, I’ve mocked up royal blue so many times, just couldn’t do it! I also think Timberglaze and Golden Brown with traditional red patches & black embroidery looks very sharp! That’s probably the color combo I’d go with if I ordered a custom with TG or GB.

mvfjet

Part Time Player
A few more along with my horween KB17 for comparison of the leather color. Note: the KB17 has seen a season of infield work and a couple coats of Pecard glove conditioner which has darkened the leather a bit.

View attachment 62466
View attachment 62467

View attachment 62468

You going to use the pecard glove conditioner on your son's glove? Just wondering how much it'll darken it.

I'm sending Chad the payment for my custom pro208 in GB. I'm going black lace, black split welting, red embroidery and black patches with red. This will be my first custom but I have a feeling it won't be my last.

Bow Commander

You going to use the pecard glove conditioner on your son's glove? Just wondering how much it'll darken it.

I'm sending Chad the payment for my custom pro208 in GB. I'm going black lace, black split welting, red embroidery and black patches with red. This will be my first custom but I have a feeling it won't be my last.
Definitely gonna needs pics of that the day it arrives :D

mvfjet

Part Time Player
Not to thread hijack but here's the mock up. I sent Chad the payment. I went mod trap loop to try something different and I think it'll add some more black contrast with the medium. brown I think my last 3 gloves have all been H web. Thanks to @mpk for posting these top notch pictures in helping me finalize my decision on leather color.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200318-133147.jpg
    Screenshot_20200318-133147.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 28

Bow Commander

Not to thread hijack but here's the mock up. I sent Chad the payment. I went mod trap loop to try something different and I think it'll add some more black contrast with the medium. brown I think my last 3 gloves have all been H web. Thanks to @mpk for posting these top notch pictures in helping me finalize my decision on leather color.
Nice. The builder doesn't do that leather justice. I'm intrigued by the split black welting. I love split welting, now I'm imagining black split on a glove with royal accents like MPK posted. Mmmmm