New score/stat-keeping Android app for softball

SleekStats

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share a new score/stat-keeping Android app I made for softball. I'd love for you all to try it out this season! The app is 100% free (and always will be) and only has a couple small non-intrusive ads.

Here is the link in the google play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=xyz.sleekstats.softball

The app is simple to use and allows for the easy keeping and sharing of stats. It has three different stat-keeping types - for a single player, a single team, or a whole league.

Stats include:
Player: AB, H, R, RBI, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, BB, SF, AVG, OBP, SLG, & OPS
Team: Wins, Losses, Ties, Win %, Runs Scored, Runs Allowed, & Run Differential

Here is a 1-minute preview video of the team stat-keeper:

There's more videos of the player and league stat-keepers and some of the features on the youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcvq4JJhh33k3ElPsWjgwwQ/

Some of the app features include:
  • simple UI that allows even a rookie to keep stats (simply move the icons to where the players are on base and select the at-bat result; runs and RBI are automatically calculated)
  • all stats for team and league stat-keepers are saved both locally on your phone and remotely to a cloud database, so you can view and keep stats even without a data connection (although you need a data connection when initially creating a stat-keeper), but also access your stats across devices and share with friends
  • invite friends to join your team/league stat-keeper by simply sharing a link (they can only view the stats initially, but after they join, you can change their permissions to allow them to also keep stats)
  • export stats in a spreadsheet file by email (you can export stats for players and standings for teams, and you can also export stats from each game)
  • pre-game and in-game editing of lineups (including creating and adding players in-game)
  • option to set mercy rule both before and during games
  • option to undo and redo plays when keeping stats
  • automatically saved games leaving the option to leave the game and resume it at a later point (only one game can be saved for a team/league at a time, and starting a new game deletes an older saved game)
  • options for automatic sorting by boy/girl line-up order rules (either adding auto-outs or automatically having a girl bat for every X players)
  • quick sorting of league leaders by any stat, as well as filtering by team or gender
  • easy swiping through team & player pages
  • ability to manually edit players' stats outside of their league/team games
  • ability to delete games and revert team/player stats (in the future I might add the ability to edit finished-game stats which will in turn update team/player stats)
  • ability to auto-shuffle the lineup
Thanks for your time, and please let me know if you check it out or if you have any questions/suggestions.
I've been learning android development for the past year, and this is the first app I've published, so all I ask for in return is your feedback!

tl;dr: new stat-keeping app, 100% free, please download and enjoy!

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
Can you add functionality to allow advancement of runners and outs without a corresponding at-bat? re: stolen bases, errors, runners leaving the base early, etc.

SleekStats

make a iphone version

Trust me, I would if I knew how to! I'd say it's a possibility for next year.

Can you add functionality to allow advancement of runners and outs without a corresponding at-bat? re: stolen bases, errors, runners leaving the base early, etc.

It might be a bit difficult to implement with the current set-up, but I'll see what I can do.

For most instances stolen bases, errors, or getting out on basepaths, I don't think it matter that it's along with a corresponding at bat, right?
But some outlier instances off the top of my head:
  • Player steals home (this will be difficult, mainly because the current batter shouldn't be credited with an RBI which right now would automatically happen)
  • Player causes the third out during base-running after at-bat (though there is currently a work-around of just redoing the previous at-bat with that baserunner now getting out as well)
Anything else I'm missing?

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
  • Player causes the third out during base-running after at-bat (though there is currently a work-around of just redoing the previous at-bat with that baserunner now getting out as well)
This work around would result in the batter losing the result of their at bat. I think you have the scenarios.

The app is very intuitive and I would definitely use it, if it had base runner stealing included.

SleekStats

Thanks!

I'm guessing you're wanting to use it for baseball then? The app is primarily designed for slow pitch softball, but I do want it to be usable for baseball too, so let me know if there's any other things you feel are missing or not quite right.

If you undo the play and then re-enter the at-bat in the same way but with the base-runner now out, the at bat result should not be lost or different.
Regardless, it's not ideal, and hopefully I can have a better solution by a couple weeks from now. Will keep you updated.

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm guessing you're wanting to use it for baseball then? The app is primarily designed for slow pitch softball, but I do want it to be usable for baseball too, so let me know if there's any other things you feel are missing or not quite right.
Modified fast pitch actually, but same requirements as baseball. You would still have the issue of slow pitch baserunners coming off the base and being called out. Also, what Joker said above.

SleekStats

I'd never heard of leagues that allow stealing in slow-pitch. Interesting! How does it not turn into players stealing every base?

Country469

because you can't leave until the ball crosses the plate, so unless its a passed ball by the catcher, no one really does it.

fuzzy2651

Extra Hitter
Thanks!

If you undo the play and then re-enter the at-bat in the same way but with the base-runner now out, the at bat result should not be lost or different.
Regardless, it's not ideal, and hopefully I can have a better solution by a couple weeks from now. Will keep you updated.

Take a look at how GameChanger handles these situations

SleekStats

because you can't leave until the ball crosses the plate, so unless its a passed ball by the catcher, no one really does it.

Ah, that makes sense. I'd still try it though...

Take a look at how GameChanger handles these situations

Thanks, taking a look now. The main thing I'm concerned about for this isn't the UI though, but rather the data and making sure it all stays correct (especially when undoing/redoing plays which was a major pain working out all the kinks). It should be doable but will take a little while to make sure it works right.

SleekStats

Okay, here it is: Stolen Bases!

Available now as an update in the Play Store.

Let me know what you think, and if you have any other comments, questions, or suggestions, please let me know.

And if you're liking the app, please give it a good review!

SleekStats

Hey all, I just noticed (and fixed) a pretty big bug in the mercy rule option. It doesn't affect player stats but it does mess up team scores in the case of a mercy inning.

Please let me know if it affected you, I'm deeply sorry if it did, and I'll be updating the app to allow manually editing team stats soon.

In the meantime, don't use the mercy rule option until you download the updated version 1.5.2, which should be available in the play store in the next hour or so.