New smaller 1799 model

NYC

Swag on 100.
The new Mookie Betts glove came out and now it's 12.5" and has a smaller 5 loop handstall. It was pretty much a 1799 in past years at 12.75" with the 6 loop handstall. Thoughts?

WTA2KRB20MB50GM-1_1400x.jpg
wilson-a2k-superskin-series-mookie-betts-game-model-12-5-outfield-glove-wta2krb20mb50gm-2020-1.jpg

ShortYellowBus

For a lot of reasons.

I buy gloves to use for softball. The 1799 I have is mostly for playing third base or middle infield. It’s perfect at 12.75” for my big hands.

People with smaller hands prefer 12” or less. I get it, but my fingers in a 12.25” glove take up too much room inside the glove. The ball bounces off my index and middle finger.

If I can go TIP with the index out, the 12.75” is perfect.

I understand it’s a pro issue baseball glove and the guys who play MLB middle infield might be 5’6 or 5’7 Dominicans or Cubans. That obviously sounds ignorant, but it’s not my favorite choice to go down to 12.5” on a glove that I like just because more people from outside the US are playing more baseball than kids here in the US.

And the colors. It’s meh.

I just hope the SBF Wilson buy-in doesn’t go this route; I want to buy one of those SBF OT6’s or a nice Sp125.

Jchap

For a lot of reasons.

I buy gloves to use for softball. The 1799 I have is mostly for playing third base or middle infield. It’s perfect at 12.75” for my big hands.

People with smaller hands prefer 12” or less. I get it, but my fingers in a 12.25” glove take up too much room inside the glove. The ball bounces off my index and middle finger.

If I can go TIP with the index out, the 12.75” is perfect.

I understand it’s a pro issue baseball glove and the guys who play MLB middle infield might be 5’6 or 5’7 Dominicans or Cubans. That obviously sounds ignorant, but it’s not my favorite choice to go down to 12.5” on a glove that I like just because more people from outside the US are playing more baseball than kids here in the US.

And the colors. It’s meh.

I just hope the SBF Wilson buy-in doesn’t go this route; I want to buy one of those SBF OT6’s or a nice Sp125.
I don't quite understand your reasoning. This is the game model for Mookie Betts, a Gold Glove Outfielder from Tennessee, not a 5'6" Cuban middle infielder.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes but it was thought to always be 12.75" despite being stamped 12.5", but now it seems like Mookie requested one that's actually 12.5" and with a smaller handstall.
I don't trust stamps. I do like that they actually have spec differences with the player model for this MB50 (unlike the RB8 which was just a color combo variation of the 1799). Essentially the KP92 is also stamped 12.5" (so having a 12.5" OF glove isn't big news).

SwingTheD206

I always felt the older 1799's that were 12.5" played more like a 12.75". Same goes for the ELO that was 12.75", but seemed to play like a 13".

MaverickAH

The original ELO was a 12.5" glove that measured 12.5" but played a little smaller. It had a baseball pocket that made it perfect for middle infield softball. I know because I gamed one as my main glove for 7 years.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Counting up the number of holes used for the heel lace, it's the same count as a 1799. There is a good chance that this is just a 1799 with the common mod to reduce the opening from 6 loops to 5 loops.

Hard to tell from pics if they took 1/4" off the length of the fingers.

19WILA20001275179BGL_Brown_Black

wilson-a2k-superskin-series-mookie-betts-game-model-12-5-outfield-glove-wta2krb20mb50gm-2020-1.jpg

Last edited:

NYC

Swag on 100.
Counting up the number of holes used for the heel lace, it's the same count as a 1799. There is a good chance that this is just a 1799 with the common mod to reduce the opening from 6 loops to 5 loops.

Hard to tell from pics if they took 1/4" off the length of the fingers.

19WILA20001275179BGL_Brown_Black

For anyone interested I got a chance to try one and it's in fact shorter than the 1799, VERY nice pattern. Snug on the hand and has a nice bowl shape, I really think this would be an awesome softball infield pattern. The only problem is you either have to get this colorway or splurge for a custom A2K, oh and it will have a Red Sox players' initials.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
For anyone interested I got a chance to try one and it's in fact shorter than the 1799, VERY nice pattern. Snug on the hand and has a nice bowl shape, I really think this would be an awesome softball infield pattern. The only problem is you either have to get this colorway or splurge for a custom A2K, oh and it will have a Red Sox players' initials.
so what you're saying is that this glove starts with 2 strikes

Party mafia

I will wait till it go on clearance once mb50 sign somewhere else since he is going to get bh34 money in fa. Lol