New Team Bat - Asking for money

Hiltz

Built for comfort
^^^ Hiltz likes this idea. And even though he knows coldengineer was joking, Hiltz agrees with the break-in time on Eastons.

Ya estuvo 27

Part Time Player
Hi SBF,

First time posting so go easy on me.

We're finishing up our first summer league [ASA] as a team in which the league provides the bats and getting ready for our first fall league [ASA] (September thru October) in which we need to provide our own bats.

We have an ASA approved wood bat for when temperatures drop real low and for BP. I have also already ordered a '16 Combat DB ASA bat. I told the team I would get us another bat, and was wondering what you guys thought about asking the team to chip-in to use it. The bat will ultimately be mine full time and I plan to use it in other leagues. I was hoping to get about $50-75 for the season ($5pp).

Also, while you're here- I am having trouble deciding between a Miken Freak Black, Freak 52, and a Demarini Mecry. (Also considered a Demarini Steel or One OG). I prefer a balanced bat but am okay with a .5oz end load. I want a durable bat that will get through New England fall season (40s-70s prob) that I hope to use for many seasons.

Thanks!
-MM

Go wth the mercy or the freak black. I play with a Demarini team sometimes and all of them swing the juggy og that's the bat I would go with if I was buying a team bat.

Hi SBF,

First time posting so go easy on me.

We're finishing up our first summer league [ASA] as a team in which the league provides the bats and getting ready for our first fall league [ASA] (September thru October) in which we need to provide our own bats.

We have an ASA approved wood bat for when temperatures drop real low and for BP. I have also already ordered a '16 Combat DB ASA bat. I told the team I would get us another bat, and was wondering what you guys thought about asking the team to chip-in to use it. The bat will ultimately be mine full time and I plan to use it in other leagues. I was hoping to get about $50-75 for the season ($5pp).

Also, while you're here- I am having trouble deciding between a Miken Freak Black, Freak 52, and a Demarini Mecry. (Also considered a Demarini Steel or One OG). I prefer a balanced bat but am okay with a .5oz end load. I want a durable bat that will get through New England fall season (40s-70s prob) that I hope to use for many seasons.

Thanks!
-MM

Welcome to the beginning years of softball. Out of 10-12 people on a new softball team, maybe 2-3 people tops knows what it actually takes for a softball team to function correctly. Whether it be collecting league fees, finding sponsors and actually patronizing those sponsors, or buying a team the proper equipment; most people are completely clueless as to what goes into running a softball team. I really do believe that many people think that softball simply consists of going to the field with only a mitt, playing, having a few beers in the parking lot and going home. Like, bats must just appear out of nowhere, and the park and umpires run the league out of their own goodwill. Heck, we had a guy who thought he could come to Sunday practice, take the first AB of the session, and leave because, "he doesn't play the field half the time anyways". :) That's not the way a team functions.

The best of us know better however. Fill your team in on what's what. Some of them might not realize what a decent bat actually costs and how integral it is to a team. Give them the chance to step up and help with the costs. You'll find your guys who are willing to help, and you'll find your moochers who aren't. Your bats is an investment, don't be afraid to exclude people from using it. After all, are they gonna pay $200 on a new bat when yours breaks?

milesej05

The Rookie
Welcome to the beginning years of softball. Out of 10-12 people on a new softball team, maybe 2-3 people tops knows what it actually takes for a softball team to function correctly. Whether it be collecting league fees, finding sponsors and actually patronizing those sponsors, or buying a team the proper equipment; most people are completely clueless as to what goes into running a softball team. I really do believe that many people think that softball simply consists of going to the field with only a mitt, playing, having a few beers in the parking lot and going home. Like, bats must just appear out of nowhere, and the park and umpires run the league out of their own goodwill. Heck, we had a guy who thought he could come to Sunday practice, take the first AB of the session, and leave because, "he doesn't play the field half the time anyways". :) That's not the way a team functions.

The best of us know better however. Fill your team in on what's what. Some of them might not realize what a decent bat actually costs and how integral it is to a team. Give them the chance to step up and help with the costs. You'll find your guys who are willing to help, and you'll find your moochers who aren't. Your bats is an investment, don't be afraid to exclude people from using it. After all, are they gonna pay $200 on a new bat when yours breaks?

^^^This is so spot on.

Our first game of Thursday league this year, the other team brought some old beat up white 12" softball thinking they could use those for game balls.

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
I disagree with those that say it's okay to say some can and cannot swing your bat. There is no way to tactfully do that, especially if it is the only bat (or only bat worth swinging) in the dugout.

I think you are okay collecting a few $ extra per player for registration, as long as you disclose up front that it is to subsidize your purchase of equipment to be used by the team. The raffle option is a good idea too. Give the team a few options, and hopefully they'll agree to one of them.

But, if you have the only decent bat and you won't let the team use it, then you are handicaping your team. **** move.

I disagree with those that say it's okay to say some can and cannot swing your bat. There is no way to tactfully do that, especially if it is the only bat (or only bat worth swinging) in the dugout.

I think you are okay collecting a few $ extra per player for registration, as long as you disclose up front that it is to subsidize your purchase of equipment to be used by the team. The raffle option is a good idea too. Give the team a few options, and hopefully they'll agree to one of them.

But, if you have the only decent bat and you won't let the team use it, then you are handicaping your team. **** move.

You're right; there really is no tactful way to pick and choose who can use your bat and who can't. Having a full season of experience though, I'd hope for OP's sake someone else steps up and buys a bat as well. By now it is probably becoming more clear for OP who the good guys are and who the moochers are. And there really is no way of separating them without offending someone in the process, but it still isn't wrong for OP to pick and choose who can and can't use his equipment. There's just no way to do it without being kind of blunt about it. And sometimes in the end, the people who are most likely to be offended by something like that are the people you don't want to play ball with anyways.

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
There is a very clear line of who should be told not to touch your bats:

1 - anyone who you've seen or heard of slamming a bat into the ground
2 - anyone you've seen or heard of throwing a bat into the ground/backstop/etc in anger
3 - anyone with green skin and purple pants yelling "hulk smash"

And frankly, the top two on that list should be SET ON FIRE, not denied access. Other than that kind of idiot I'm not sure why you care who swings your bat. That's why you bought the thing.

If you truly play with guys that swing hard enough to harm your bats in normal weather with normal core/comp balls I'd be surprised. Those guys tend to have their own equipment. You don't show up one day not realizing you are a B league+ player.

Just sayin.

4xtra

Player/Coach
There is a very clear line of who should be told not to touch your bats:

1 - anyone who you've seen or heard of slamming a bat into the ground
2 - anyone you've seen or heard of throwing a bat into the ground/backstop/etc in anger
3 - anyone with green skin and purple pants yelling "hulk smash"

And frankly, the top two on that list should be SET ON FIRE, not denied access. Other than that kind of idiot I'm not sure why you care who swings your bat. That's why you bought the thing.

If you truly play with guys that swing hard enough to harm your bats in normal weather with normal core/comp balls I'd be surprised. Those guys tend to have their own equipment. You don't show up one day not realizing you are a B league+ player.

Just sayin.

I swear that these Rec guys do NOT respect other peoples bats at all.
When I play tournament, everyone has their own bats and do not mind others swinging their sticks.
Some of these rec guys will even go in your zipped up roller and help themselves to your NIW sticks without asking.
I seen a guy do this and broke a bat and snuck the broken bat back into a bat bag.
These rec guys here in GA are like the "Jerry Springer Show/Reality TV" of softball.