new to pitching

Luv2hitmiddle

Addicted to Softballfans
I think I would like to learn how to pitch. Any advice for being a successful pitcher? Please don't reply by saying throwing strikes, that is a given.

ninerempire25

Addicted to Softballfans
first practice just throwing strikes. once you can do that constantly then you can learn more pitches.

and be ready for shots right back at you

Breedawg69

Extra Hitter
Start by getting your command down so you can place the ball wherever you want. Then work on varying the height on your pitches to try to throw the batters timing off a bit. Then work on putting different spins on the ball. Maybe try to get a knuckler going as well. In the end you can only do so much but some guys do get thrown off by different heights and spins.

vtw8lftr

Tight But Whole
This was my first year pitching and it was for a new softball team I joined up with... first thing I did was buy a rip-it mask, shinguards, and a cup... this will help alleviate any fear of middle shots and you want to be as confident as possible so you overcome the mental part of the game.

Now the physical part of the game is a steep learning curve... for me I had some good games and some very bad games where I walked quite a few people and that, as far as I am concerned, is the biggest no-no for slowpitch. Free bases will kill your team and for me would kill my confidence... once I would walk a batter it was suddenly in my head and I would feel my entire body stiffen up and my mechanics would suffer. Don't worry about different pitches... worry about throwing consistent strikes... and this off season I will be throwing regularly into a 5 gallon bucket for practice as recommended by a couple of pitchers in our league... also horseshoes appears to be a common theme among the pitchers in our league, they are all good at it and play regularly.

pnpxtreme

Lights Out Sports
First thing I would suggest: Use the search button.

jkin. like everyone else said, learn to consistently throw strikes. After you can consistently throw strikes, I would learn to throw that strike pitch differently. Learn to throw it with lots of arch, learn to throw it flat, learn to throw it deep and inside, throw it from the right side of the mount, and throw it from the left side. Learn to throw that strike from anywhere, before learning different "pitches". Sometimes.. a good hitter will hit your knuckle ball or back spin ball, but might have trouble with a high arch strike.

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
just lots of practice. Find your rhythm and then keep doing it. Muscle memory will take over after awhile. But I see a lot of newb pitchers around here try a side spin, back spin, knuckle, far lean pitch, etc. before just learning how to consistently pitch strikes. Until you can command the ball well, you shouldn't try much of the "junk"

Breedawg69

Extra Hitter
I would also say get some people to hit BP off of you. It's one thing to pitch to a target to get the muscle memory, but you really need to pitch to batters to see what works and really get the feel for it.

2TransAms

Droppin' 280 ft bombs
I tried pitching and I sucked. Biggest lesson I took away: throw strikes on demand. You get a team that swings at everything and you're gtg, in fact you can use that to throw junk. You go up against a good team that will stand there and walk, and you are ****ed if you can't throw consistent strikes.

Ferrari1

Addicted to Softballfans
move the ball side to side, up an down...look where he sets up notice his motion when an if you throw 1st pitch a ball....need to be automatic 2-0 an expect every ball to be hit right back at you...if playing five man communicate alot with your middle in

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans
I tried pitching and I sucked. Biggest lesson I took away: throw strikes on demand. You get a team that swings at everything and you're gtg, in fact you can use that to throw junk. You go up against a good team that will stand there and walk, and you are ****ed if you can't throw consistent strikes.

Story off my life:(

NDrobber_03

Addicted to Softballfans
Work on the basic pitch and learn to hit your spots...inside..outside..short(front corner) and high. Then move to learning the junk, but the most import lesson is to field your postion..don't be one of those A$$ clowns that just throws a ball up doesn't ever attempt to stop a ball back up the middle.

jaded808

Addicted to Softballfans
I move around on the rubber too. Throwing from different angles changes the release point and thus, the batter's perception. Develop one pitch at a time. Don't learn a new pitch till you can hit all 4 corners at will with each pitch. I learned this the hard way. I tried to learn a knuckle and screwball at the same time. It was a longer road to consistency than if I just took my time to be consistent with one pitch at a time.

knockers

Addicted to Softballfans
Field the middle. Don't walk the world but I couldn't care less about knuckles and curves and ****, it only fools bum teams. Just field your position, don't become a liability out there

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
To many people are to worried about throwing nasty knuckle balls or curves and end up walking people. I'd rather have a pitcher throw cookies all night than walk people. Yes throw strikes seems obvious but trust me its not. Field your position, worry more about getting set to field than back pedaling. Get a couple of steps if you can but make sure you get set. Work fast, nothing worse than a pitcher who takes 30 seconds between pitches. Get a mask with a helmet and a cup.