New To Softball

Beyonder

The Rookie
This year was my very 1st time playing softball and I love this sport with a passion. From listening to experienced players & watching videos I've got a batting distance of 300ft but theres more to the game than hitting homers. What advice can you guys & gals give a rookie to expand his game? I play outfield. Really would like to know about directional hitting to get on base cuz some times a homer isn't whats needed.

This year was my very 1st time playing softball and I love this sport with a passion. From listening to experienced players & watching videos I've got a batting distance of 300ft but theres more to the game than hitting homers. What advice can you guys & gals give a rookie to expand his game? I play outfield. Really would like to know about directional hitting to get on base cuz some times a homer isn't whats needed.

As far as being an outfielder, give them the line, foul balls are your friend. Hit the cut off low and hard, never hold the ball get rid of it....when in doubt hit second base.....bases are much closer than in baseball so you must eliminate extra bases. As far as hitting goes....bp bp bp and more bp.

elan6148

Addicted to Softballfans
I kept trying to perfect my directional hitting but was failing miserably until i picked up a tee. After i practiced hitting in all directions off of a tee ive been able to do it in games. Sometimes all you need is a little pop up over the infielders head or hit it hard on the ground between first and second baseman. And another thing i noticed is after you bloop one into right field during your first hit the outfielders will usually shift and play up on you your next at bat. If you have power hit it over thier heads.

As far as being an outfielder, give them the line, foul balls are your friend. Hit the cut off low and hard, never hold the ball get rid of it....when in doubt hit second base.....bases are much closer than in baseball so you must eliminate extra bases. As far as hitting goes....bp bp bp and more bp.

This^^ I would also say that if you're a middle outfielder, cheat middle slightly when there are 2 strikes. Guys tend to take safer swings and you can get to those ground balls through the middle more easily or even take away a few looping line drives. In terms of hitting, bp for sure. But I would also say don't try too many new things too early in games just hit the ball solid consistently in games. When you start to do that(and you may already be doing it :)), then, add some of those wrinkles that you picked up in your bp. Just don't force it, have fun with it.

22kj22

UrMoufSNIFsofFart
Welcome to softball fans!!! These gentlemen are actually right though. The more you post and read the more you will learn. I've been playin ball for years and still learn more about the game from SBF bros. I am now a pro at destroying peoples feelings on the field!!!! TY SBF

Macken

Starting Player
also true... I'm only at 40 posts and my league is forcing me to go to a wood bat this fall. they told me they would prefer to keep the covers on the balls.

wrong, they told you that to boost your confidence.. they are really just giving you an excuse for when you pop up to the pitcher

Dogue

Evil Genius
Don't worry, those become high pop ups when you get a couple hundred posts...so I've heard.

Hacksaw34

Addicted to Softballfans
Welcome to softball fans!!! These gentlemen are actually right though. The more you post and read the more you will learn. I've been playin ball for years and still learn more about the game from SBF bros. I am now a pro at destroying peoples feelings on the field!!!! TY SBF

This is about 88.6% of the game right here. 10% Drinking beer and the remaining 1.4% is defense.

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans
I dont know nothin about burthin no babys....................

oh wait, I mean I know nothing about improving softball skills, but I do know about 38 they leave you quicker than stank on S********

Welcome to the boards: Swing hard , run harder, drink beer....repeat

Mark1980

Manager
At 5k posts the SBF gods send down a bolt of lightning that strikes the tip of your penis and you instantly have the gift of dropping 400ft bombs.

softballin101

Addicted to Softballfans
Get as many games under your belt as you can. Learn from the situations that you get into and improve from them

B-REAL09

Dont Even Trip

Is this lord7 or averageJ ?

Beyonder

The Rookie
Thanx gang. Some very good & some funny advice. I gave up on aluminum bats. I was using a worth reload then started using my friends Dimarini One. There was a big difference in pop in the 2 bats. I think I'm gonna spend a little money & try one of combat brand bats or get the freak nasty I found for $149 on another page. My job had nothing for the staff to do with the huge amount of employees we have so I thought of the idea to start a softball league. It was a huge success and everyone can't wait for next season. Comradery is up & employees are making an effort to get in shape. Softball is a great sport.