Newer white steels

froglodge32

Addicted to Softballfans
Been looking at the newer white steels '13-'14 models and thought about picking one up until seeing some reviews saying they're breaking quick. Just wondered if anybody has had any luck or bad experiences with these, and if it's worth picking one up or not?

TRaj2327

A lot of them were splitting early. I'd just grab and older one. You should be able to find one pretty easily and they tend to last quite a while longer.

Ricky2117

Addicted to Softballfans
I just picked up an 2013 28oz Raw Steel and a 26oz White Steel..the Raw cracked the whole length of the barrel after 3 hits and the White Steel less than a month of Coed play.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I just picked up an 2013 28oz Raw Steel and a 26oz White Steel..the Raw cracked the whole length of the barrel after 3 hits and the White Steel less than a month of Coed play.

I made out better than you. My Raw Steel lasted a solid 8 hits.

2fastxeg

Outstanding Bad Dealer
Dude... I can chime in big time on this one.... Our team always picks up a few new demarini white steels each time they came out with a newer version. By far, the 2012-2013(Black and grey colored) White steels do not last at all!!!!! All 6 of our bats split near the end cap and all of this happened within the first half of one season. Once we got our warrantied bats back, they came back in a slightly different color scheme with a predominantly grey color on top of black. We thought Demarini might have warrantied us back White Steels that were new and improved but the same thing happened.... They ALL dented up within the first 20 cuts fresh out of the wrapper.... by the end of that same season, all of our bats were fully dented and ALL had cracks/splits in them.... Durability-wise, the 2012-2013 Demarini White Steel's are complete ****... However, I do have to say that we were crushing the ball further than any other team in the league. The 2012-2013 White Steels definitely have more pop than the last two models of the White Steel.
I wonder if the new 2014 White Steels have any new improvements on it.... So far, the color on the 2014 White Steels are horrendous!

single wally

Professional Amateur
Last year's Raw IMO was the hottest true single wall I ever hit, and that's comparing to several generations of white steel including the OG. (for the record I never hit with the OG Raw which I hear is sick) Demar pushed the limits of performance at the cost of durability with their '13 steels. Hopefully they'll figure out how to maintain the performance of the '13s with better durability in their '14 models. '13s have been cracking right and left in metal leagues in this area, with the Raw being hands down more fragile, probably because the lower flex of the metal handle translating into more energy on the barrel at contact.

wiggie7

Addicted to Softballfans
We play in an aluminum league and we changed to that without notice... so the LD bought 1 26oz white steel for the league to use if they dont have amything... it has probably 1000 hits on it and it has flat spots only. No cracks or dents yet

adon14x

Addicted to Softballfans
I personally love last years white steel model, but the durability isn't great. I just got a Anderson Nanotek Alpha and been swinging it in the cages in about 40-50 degree weather. Probably close to 200-250 swings and no issues at all. I actually just ordered a second one before they are EOL. My steel cracked after about 15 swings. Half of them with a clincher.

techjunkee

Addicted to Softballfans
SADFACT: The steels are true fair-weather bats...swinging in temps less than 50° will bust them up in a heartbeat

SlapHappy

Addicted to Softballfans
I saw a 2013 WS split open within 6 hits of BP by a guy who barely cleared the infield. Warm day, .44/375.