NGTG call during a play?

NMax13

Manager
So i was just thinking about this while reading in the Ask the Umpire forum.

Here is the scenerio. No one on, the batter grounds a ball to the third baseman. As the ball is hit and rolling to the third baseman (or SS, or whoever), I tend to yell "TIME TIME TIME TIME" over and over as to say "You have time to make the throw!" I have no intentions on throwing anyone off by making them think the ump or someone is calling TIME OUT..

I always ask myself if that could be a delay of game call on me or something if anyone ever said anything.

what do you think? NGTG or good communcation with my teammate?

guzzler2209

The Veteran
Retarded? Yes

Delay of Game? No

I guess if the batter were dumb enough to stop because he thinks an umpire called time-out, and the umpire thought you intended to confuse the Batter...a call could possibly be made.

guzzler2209

The Veteran
Oh, and if you're worried about it enough to ask the questions, why don't you find something else to yell to communicate with your player?

NMax13

Manager
Why is it retarded? It's the same thing as telling the fielder trying to catch a fly ball in Foul ground how much room he/she has by saying "ROOM ROOM ROOM.. FENCE!"

...at least i think so...

NMax13

Manager
How isn't it? both cases you're letting you're fielder knwo what's going on when he/she is focusing on the ball....

surf2snow1

mixednutz
How isn't it? both cases you're letting you're fielder knwo what's going on when he/she is focusing on the ball....

When was the last time you heard an umpire start yelling ROOM ROOM ROOM??? TIME TIME TIME sounds like an umpire calling time out... come on man!

guzzler2209

The Veteran

Ok then, keep yelling "Time Time Time Time".

What position do you play? If you're catching or playing somewhere in the infield you should be able to communicate with your teamates better than that. If I was your 3rd baseman, I'd get annoyed pretty fast.

Tell you what, i've got some other suggestions that are commonly used.

Tell your 3rd baseman if there isn't enough time, by telling him "Eat it" or "No play" or something else. If you don't say anything, he fires to first.

NMax13

Manager
When was the last time you heard an umpire start yelling ROOM ROOM ROOM??? TIME TIME TIME sounds like an umpire calling time out... come on man!

My point was that I am talking to my 3rd bseman in each situation... not what the ump would call....

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
Why is it retarded? It's the same thing as telling the fielder trying to catch a fly ball in Foul ground how much room he/she has by saying "ROOM ROOM ROOM.. FENCE!"

...at least i think so...
"Got room, got room," or "fence, fence!" Not "(got) room! (got) room! (got) room...FENCE!" And "got time, got time," or "hold it," "eat it," "no play," etc. Twice, just in case they didn't hear you the first time; if they don't hear you the second time, you're probably "that guy."

guzzler2209

The Veteran
My point was that I am talking to my 3rd bseman in each situation... not what the ump would call....

You are talking to your 3rd baseman, but you are obviously concerned that what you are yelling may cause a problem. If that's the case, yell something else.

You asked the question, you got replies.

surf2snow1

mixednutz

are you whispering it to him? there are other people on the field that are going to hear you, mainly the base runners. they may think its bush league, the ump may get pissed at you for it. why not avoid any problems and just say "you got time"

TastySalami

Addicted to Softballfans
How about just let him make the play without you yelling something at him? I assume you yell, NO TIME NO TIME if he doesnt have time, which also means that you are constatly yelling at your third baseman. If I were him I'd tell you to shut the **** up and let me throw the ball.

Don't be that guy.

NMax13

Manager
are you whispering it to him? there are other people on the field that are going to hear you, mainly the base runners. they may think its bush league, the ump may get pissed at you for it. why not avoid any problems and just say "you got time"

I completely agree with you. I just shorten the verbage as much as possible for a quick, kinda thing for him to hear.

The reason i say something instead of nothing when he does have time is because as a corner infielder for many years (i play 1B and have played 3rd) it's nice to have that confirmation when moving to my left or right on whether my thought to throw the ball was correct or not...

Just a mental confirmation i think... my current 3B doesn't mind at all...

Anyway... i expected flames and stupid responses and "are you retarded?" responses.... but i just felt the need to ask.

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
I completely agree with you. I just shorten the verbage as much as possible for a quick, kinda thing for him to hear.
If you say it over and over again, does it really make a difference if you add a whole extra syllable?

Any 3B I’ve played with just throw the ball and make the play. It sounds like this is something you should ask him or your team to make sure they are cool with it. Like some have mentioned, I usually don't yell to the infield except to tell them to ‘eat it’, to watch out for someone trying to take an extra bag, or to tell them to yell time if they don’t call time. Out field is a little different and I might help by yelling back, in, right there, fence, etc.

foxx14

Try yelling, "HEY BUDDY, YOU HAVE SUFFICIENT TIME TO GET TO FIRST BASE BECAUSE EITHER THE THIRD BASEMEN'S ARM IS A LITTLE SUSPECT AND/OR IT'S A SLOW ROLLER AND HE'S A LARGE INDIVIDUAL, SO DON'T HURT YOURSELF TRYING TO BEAT IT OUT!!!!"....or something like that. He'll prolly be on second before you get it all out, but it stops any of the confusion. Just a suggestion :D