ASA "No pitch" call

kybosh_ag

Extra Hitter
Blue calls "no pitch", I swing anyways and pop out to CF. Of course it was two outs, we were down, and that ended the game. I didn't think much of it until I was on the way home, but the blue, and myself obviously, treated it as an illegal pitch call. Was that correct or is it a dead ball situation, no hit, no out, and no ball or strike called? After thinking about it I assumed the blue made the wrong call, but too little, too late.

Joker

no pitch is not the same thing as an illegal pitch. if there was no pitch, then there was nothing after that

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Joker's right. If the umpire calls "no pitch," even if it was completely wrong for him to do so, everything stops.

2TransAms

Droppin' 280 ft bombs
No pitch means nothing is happening. The pitch doesn't exist. Flat or high, you can still swing and take your chances.

kybosh_ag

Extra Hitter
no pitch is not the same thing as an illegal pitch. if there was no pitch, then there was nothing after that

Joker's right. If the umpire calls "no pitch," even if it was completely wrong for him to do so, everything stops.

Thanks guys, this is what I thought, eventhough it was too late to do anything about. I know with an illegal pitch, it is ruled a ball if you don't swing, but if you do, the results are whatever happens on the ensuing play. Had I actually remembered that during the game, how should I have handled it? Like any other rule misinterpretation: bring it to the blue's attention, and if he doesn't reverse the call protest it? Does it make any difference since it ended the game? I think normally you have until the next pitch is thrown or until you leave the field of play to protest, so when would we have lost the chance to protest this call?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Thanks guys, this is what I thought, eventhough it was too late to do anything about. I know with an illegal pitch, it is ruled a ball if you don't swing, but if you do, the results are whatever happens on the ensuing play. Had I actually remembered that during the game, how should I have handled it? Like any other rule misinterpretation: bring it to the blue's attention, and if he doesn't reverse the call protest it? Does it make any difference since it ended the game? I think normally you have until the next pitch is thrown or until you leave the field of play to protest, so when would we have lost the chance to protest this call?

Illegal pitch or not, if the umpire declares no pitch, there was no pitch to be called illegal. It's the same as if the umpire had called "time," as it has the same effect.

If the umpire permitted play to continue, all you can do is protest before the umpire(s) left the field that the umpire allowed play to continue after he killed the play by declaring "no pitch."

kybosh_ag

Extra Hitter
Illegal pitch or not, if the umpire declares no pitch, there was no pitch to be called illegal. It's the same as if the umpire had called "time," as it has the same effect.

If the umpire permitted play to continue, all you can do is protest before the umpire(s) left the field that the umpire allowed play to continue after he killed the play by declaring "no pitch."

He didn't call an illegal pitch, but he treated it as if he had. I was pretty sure there was a difference, but didn't think about it until I was on the way home, so it was a little too late to do anything about.

blackbeasst

Addicted to Softballfans
3 things:

1. why did he call no pitch?
2. why did you swing?
3. had that somehow won the game would you still question it if the other team protested?

kybosh_ag

Extra Hitter
3 things:

1. why did he call no pitch?
2. why did you swing?
3. had that somehow won the game would you still question it if the other team protested?

1. I'm not sure why he called no pitch. The pitcher had been quick pitching most of the night, so I assume the blue still had his hand up.
2. I swung because I liked the pitch and wasn't contemplating the differences between illegal pitch and no pitch in the moment. I didn't even really think about it until I was on the way home.
3. No, if the rule was used inappropriately I wouldn't have an issue with the other team protesting.

spos21ram

The Legend
How loud did he say no pitch? Did anyone besdies you and the catcher hear it? Reason I'm asking is because I don't see how someone on your team didn't question the umpire about this immediately. Someone on your team must know what no pitch means.

kybosh_ag

Extra Hitter
It wasn't very loud, and I didn't even think about it until after the game, but sometimes I wonder if some of the guys I play with know the basic rules. Last season the guy that started the team got mad at me a couple times for arguing with a blue about the proper advancement of runners on a ground rule double. Good group of guys, but it's rec league. It was also after 11pm, a lot of us had to work in the morning, and we were down by 9, so I don't know if they would have even bothered. This blue had been making bad calls all night (most of them at 2nd) but he was by himself and at least he was making them against both teams.

spos21ram

The Legend
If the umpire made the mistake of saying no pitch by accident, when he meant to say illegal, he should have fixed his mistake. He may very well be extremely inexperienced and not know the difference between the two.

kybosh_ag

Extra Hitter
I'd guess he's easily in his 60's, not that it means he's experienced. I'm sure I've heard him call illegal pitch before. Plus he probably wanted to get out of there anyways, so if nobody caught it, I doubt he would correct it.

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az

In ASA, the illegal pitches can be the best ones to hit (ie. flat). Blue calls "illegal," but I'm swinging away.

donthate

Addicted to Softballfans

Correct. No pitch means anything that happens after No Pitch was called did not happen. The ball goes back to the pitcher. The pitcher may pitch the ball once the umpire lowers his arm and puts the ball back into play.