Non broken in bat better for mush balls?

Softball.com:

slomaro

Addicted to Softballfans
Wouldn't this make sense that a stiffer non broken in bat would actually be better for hitting softer balls like classic +?

figuringitout

Addicted to Softballfans
my stiff OG Catty outhits my broken in 09 Titan right now with .52/275 balls. There is probably some theory to stiffer wall performance. But someone smarter than me will give us the real answer soon...

Hacksaw34

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't really consider .52/275's to be mush balls. They seem to carry just fine with any bat as long as you get back spin

slomaro

Addicted to Softballfans
Not being a smart ass but what do you consider to be a mush ball then ? A 52/275 is the lowest compression rating ball and is notorious for feeling and sounding like rubber when hit.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
We have found that the old fashion metal bats hit them the best. You don't need high tech bats to hit those suckers and it always comes down the batter and not the bat.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I'm sure that pstz is terrible on them, especially if the graphics are decent, let me know if I can help with the disposal of that substandard bat for you.

figuringitout

Addicted to Softballfans
We have found that the old fashion metal bats hit them the best. You don't need high tech bats to hit those suckers and it always comes down the batter and not the bat.

yeah i had a demarini 375 that i loved. sold it before the season and my league switched from .44/375lb to .52/275 on me. wish i had that bat back now. my composites were killing the harder ball so i sold it.

slomaro

Addicted to Softballfans
Wouldn't this make sense that a stiffer non broken in bat would actually be better for hitting softer balls like classic +?[/QUOT

which one of your bats is performing the best? i see a helmer and z in your sig

For classic M balls I'm liking the Z2000 the most. None of them feel good and it's hard to tell a difference with the classic + but that's just the ball.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
I'm sure that pstz is terrible on them, especially if the graphics are decent, let me know if I can help with the disposal of that substandard bat for you.

The PST's worked real good with the 52/275 balls. If my PST98Z was usable in games I would accommodate you but it is strictly a BP bat as it is bare.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Yeah, that's par for the course, let mine go cause all it had left was the asa stamp and part of a feather...

batting4th

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't really consider .52/275's to be mush balls. They seem to carry just fine with any bat as long as you get back spin

its the softest ball i have ever hit. its mushy to me.

Not being a smart ass but what do you consider to be a mush ball then ? A 52/275 is the lowest compression rating ball and is notorious for feeling and sounding like rubber when hit.

i dont think they are mush, if you a hit hard enough to hit the 52 cor center the ball flies. i guess if you use a crappy manufactured ball it would "sound like rubber" or be mush. I dont see what the big deal is, I tend to agree with hacksaw. I guess it depends on what your LD or TD decides to use. A lot of my buddies like the new Z2000 with these balls

web gem

Addicted to Softballfans
i dont think they are mush, if you a hit hard enough to hit the 52 cor center the ball flies. i guess if you use a crappy manufactured ball it would "sound like rubber" or be mush. I dont see what the big deal is, I tend to agree with hacksaw. I guess it depends on what your LD or TD decides to use. A lot of my buddies like the new Z2000 with these balls

Its "COR" as in coefficient of restitution, not "core" like the center of an object. I don't know where this misconception came from. So no matter how hard you swing, you're not reaching a harder center.

Simmer17

Addicted to Softballfans
Everything hits the Dudley Hycor well but the old metals and stiffer handle bats seem to really mash....fielding them on the other hand is tough.

web gem

Addicted to Softballfans
Keep in mind, the low compression balls were developed with four objectives in mind.

1. Minimize the risk of injuries when struck with a batted ball
2. Reduce the affect that decreased and increased temperatures have on the compression
3. Equalize bat performance
4. Reduce the damage to bats

After using these balls almost exclusively for the last year in Texas (in temps as low as 31 degrees and as high as 108) I can confidently say all of these have been achieved.

Hacksaw34

Addicted to Softballfans

I would consider a beat up league ball to be a mush ball. Yes the 52/275's make a different sound but they still come off the bat quickly and fly just as far as anything if hit correctly

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
Wouldn't this make sense that a stiffer non broken in bat would actually be better for hitting softer balls like classic +?

no. it comes down to the COR of the bat vs the COR of the ball.

as long as the bat has a higher COR(which it always will when broken in) you want the bat compressing as much as possible and the ball compressing as little as possible.

softer balls tend to compress more, which is why you lose performance. because the bat can't do as much of the work. but some softer balls also have a higher COR, which means even though the ball is doing more work, it's returning more of that energy and you won't lose as much performance. in effect, a high COR, low compression softball makes the difference between bats smaller. it does not, however, make a mediocre bat great and a great bat mediocre

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
Keep in mind, the low compression balls were developed with four objectives in mind.

1. Minimize the risk of injuries when struck with a batted ball
2. Reduce the affect that decreased and increased temperatures have on the compression
3. Equalize bat performance
4. Reduce the damage to bats

After using these balls almost exclusively for the last year in Texas (in temps as low as 31 degrees and as high as 108) I can confidently say all of these have been achieved.

completely agree. guys are getting way carried away with the bat talk. the whole point of these balls is to make the bats matter LESS. swing whatever you're comfortable with, whether it's an old metal or a premo new composite. the balls are doing most of the compression/rebounding the bat doesn't really matter(within reason).

nutmegs

IDGAFOS
All I know is the z2000 and flipper hit socks better than they do rocks. So however they are made, there's your answer.

mikhalljr

Starting Player
YES....^^^^^^^^^^ these new balls are ridiculous to field sometimes...bad hops everywhere knuckling, they definately do not roll on ground the same or carry in the air the same.. Kind of like a superball sometimes...lol

KYounglas25

Extra Hitter
I played in a coed rec league and they used a "soft touch" ball by Diamond you could compress is quite a bit in your hands. I had the best luck hitting it with an old Steele's bat.

JoeG3

Doesnt matter, had sex
I played 14" ball this fall. Thats legit mush and I put away the Salvo to swing single wall metal.

From playing multiple tourneys and leagues with both 40/375s and 52/275s, the new ones do sound mushier and are far less forgiving. imo, what happens is the mush sound on a mis hit fly ball gets in a guys head, he starts thinking too much and overswinging, and suddenly his webbed up Flex is no good for the ball. When in reality he just needs to stop thinking and go back to hitting.

If you notice, most people who played with the 275 for a long time will tell you it's not hugely different in performance. Dance with who you brought. Don't be playin mind games with deebo.

Also got picked up to play in one small town tourney in Ivanhoe MN on a baseball field, 400 to center, 325 down the lines. Few ASA B, C, and D tourney players scattered around on pick up teams. They hit a 44/375 and it was in the 60s-70s. JBird11 hit the only 3 bombs of the tourney to LF with his flex. Harder ball was easily noticed.

dmelectric99

Addicted to Softballfans
We use 40 275 balls where I live and in higher temps it's better to use a whitesteel or alloy bat but in the winter you can use whatever but the composites are better