Non-linear bats

swampdonkey1

Star Player
Are non-linear barrels not approved for USSSA/NSA? None of the non-linear model bats I can think of are approved for USSSA/NSA. Even the Miken/Worth ASA bats (EST/Platinum/DC41) with non-linear 4 piece designs had to be modified to 2 piece to get USSSA/NSA approval...

I'm assuming this is why Carl has not been able to make a USSSA approved bat and now paired with Pure Sports to release a Pure Sports bat with a F.I.B.?

swampdonkey1

Star Player
Are you confirming that non-linear bats are only approved for ASA? I'm trying my best to find something useful out of your b.s. comments...

swampdonkey1

Star Player
I see nothing on USSSA.com; slowpitch; rules/legal information; bat, ball,and equipment information; about non-linear barrels not being approved for USSSA.

You have a sad life if you thinking intentionally running people away from this site is fun.

ZacJohann

2017 LICENSED SOFTBALL BAT MANUFACTURERS

updated as of December 20, 2016

Anderson Bats
Baden
Boombah
Combat
Dirty South Bats
Dudley
Easton
Louisville Slugger
Marucci
Miken
Mizuno
Pure Sports Tech
Rawlings
Wilson/DeMarini
Worth

For a softball bat to be legal in USSSA sanctioned activities, it must have the USSSA logo,
follow the USSSA rule book and be manufactured by a current USSSA licensed softball bat manufacturer.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see nothing on USSSA.com; slowpitch; rules/legal information; bat, ball,and equipment information; about non-linear barrels not being approved for USSSA.

You have a sad life if you thinking intentionally running people away from this site is fun.
There were some allegedly non-linear UTrip Demarinis over the past few years, but I was not able to get any type of confirmation of their existence from UTrip. I emailed my state director and was referred up the chain, and they said that there were no pre-loading exceptions for the UTrip compression even though Demarini reps had claimed there would be.

Carl pissed off UTrip and that's why his bats aren't legal. Also why he's a clown.

swampdonkey1

Star Player
It just seems odd that most of the top ASA bats are non-linear but you dont find any non-linear bats in USSSA... I wonder if that's something that will change in the future or not

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
Are non-linear barrels not approved for USSSA/NSA? None of the non-linear model bats I can think of are approved for USSSA/NSA. Even the Miken/Worth ASA bats (EST/Platinum/DC41) with non-linear 4 piece designs had to be modified to 2 piece to get USSSA/NSA approval...

I'm assuming this is why Carl has not been able to make a USSSA approved bat and now paired with Pure Sports to release a Pure Sports bat with a F.I.B.?

I don't think the Miken/Worth Utrip line was "modified" from what it was because they were already performing well.

I think they saw the difference in performance with inner barrel tech and made the adjustments to compete in the ASA market...which i'm glad they did, cause theyre ASA stuff is amazing...

I'm still gaming a red knob DC...i have no need to get something else because its fiya!!!

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
We are an ASA Senior league and out BD just voted to ban all non-linear bats in our league. Means everyone just about has to buy new bats if they want to play. STUPID.

johnny fitz

Addicted to Softballfans
It has to do with wall compression. Most usssa is played with 44s that compress the bat/inner wall tech much differently than a 52 does. I can assure you that an Asa flipper with 44s would not pass.

We will see what Carl and pure do with their bats... I am skeptical at best about this partnership being a long term thing. How much hotter do people want utrip bats to be? There’s a limit for a reason.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm not aware of any USSSA outside of Stadium that is played with 44s. Classic M's are a .40 and the Classic + are 52s. At Worlds and Major tournaments the ball was a Dudley ZN Classic M.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not aware of any USSSA outside of Stadium that is played with 44s. Classic M's are a .40 and the Classic + are 52s. At Worlds and Major tournaments the ball was a Dudley ZN Classic M.
The stadium ball isn't a 44 either. He must be thinking of wsl or NSA.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are some dual-stamp Combats that are non-linear ("275"). Other than that, I believe that non-linear USSSA bats are rare.
They have the peds but I wouldn't call them non linear because they pass the utrip compression test easily with no different pre loading.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
ASA says they are non-linear
ASA can call them Laverne and Shirley for all I care, and I didn't say they weren't. I didn't create the category or define the term. They did. What I'm saying is don't expect then to act like a non linear bat because they don't. I hit then only with harder balls and they always passed with the standard pre load, and then I did it to a teammate who is still using it with those same results. The other nl bats would've failed out of the wrapper or soon thereafter.

Last edited:

johnny fitz

Addicted to Softballfans

Usssa in ny and ct is only the zn so I should have said most usssa is played with 40s.

Last edited: