Noob questions: Japan market gloves

Godsdog

<font color="#00274C">Descendant of Vander Meer</f
I am new to the gloves but it seems that there is a lot of chat around Japan.

I know that Japan has a fantastic reputation for craftsmanship and quality, overall.

I have come across just a few so far, and probably just scratching the surface. I have see pictures of Kubota Slugger and Nike Sha|do Elite online- but what other brands are there for nice Japanese gloves?

What sets these gloves above gloves in other markets? Or, is that even true?

Lastly, how do you get them? Is the bay or sbf marketplace forum the most cost effective methods? How obtainable are they in Japan- as in, can someone go to a sporting goods store like in the US and pick one (or two) up? Depending on the time of year, I may have a contact or two in Japan.

Thanks for taking a look at this post and for the education :)

Last edited:

Camoninja

Addicted to Softballfans
This is my favorite glove that I own. Its a Tamazawa.

20140417_044130_zpsd8619d9e.jpg

20140417_044300_zpsd509bdef.jpg

Godsdog

Easiest way is to know someone. I can give you info on a guy if youd like.

I also have a Sha do elite J vapor 2.0 if your interested

Are there other brands that are well respected?

What is the markup from using a guy you know vs. using the forum vs. ebay, etc.

Some of the Sha|do designs are a work of art (personal opinion)- for example the BF1589 gets me.

$_57.JPG

:biggthumpup:

And, BF1485 (801)...my goodness.

$(KGrHqF,!q8FG8456H!rBRy)4l2rrQ~~60_57.JPG

so, pretty to me.

naphiicon

Addicted to Softballfans
Kubota slugger - just get one, you won't be disappointed if you get a KSG model
MIJ Mizuno - pricey but well worth it
Nike shado elite - the 2012 models were better, the new penis models along with the weird welting isn't as appealing to me, but you might like it.
Asics wagyu - not worth the price of $470, if you find it for $250 or less, get one. (Wagyu leather is overhyped, i don't think there's anything special to it).

glove works forum talks about japanese gloves more, so head over there for more info.

Spackler

...got that goin for me
Ya those Nikes are fancy looking but all those bells and whistles don't help you secure the ball any better just find some sweet leather and a plain old H web :rolleyes:

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER
Mizuno 2GN-48907
13"
Made in China
RUBBER BALL Type
$200–300

IMHO, better than the Pro Limiteds made for the US market
(talking about the older GMPX, GMPXX, not sure about
the three digit GMPXXXs, never owned one)

Mizuno 2GW-17850
13"
Made in JAPAN
HARD BALL Type
$450+++++

Hands down, best glove I have ever owned.

Last edited:

Godsdog

Mizuno 2GN-48907
13"
Made in China
RUBBER BALL Type
$200–300

Mizuno 2GW-17850
13"
Made in JAPAN
HARD BALL Type
$450+++++

What does Rubber ball type vs. hard ball type mean? Thanks fredderf.

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER

Not exactly sure of the exact definition.

Seems to have to do with Padding & Quality.

Rubber ball gloves, I assume are meant for rubber/soft ball play.
Probably not as durable in the long run as the hard ball type gloves.

The hard ball gloves are stiffer and require alot more break in.
My rubber ball glove feels better to me than the GMP70 & my GMP55 I owned. Leather is not as good as the hard ball types, but by no means *****ty.

The hard ball type feels better than the pro issues I have owned (talking about my 2GW17850. Very stiff, leather is amazing, build quality second to none.

I hope this helps.
F

Anyone else with more input, please add/correct what I have said.

saint

Voted '15 Mod of the Year
Fellas, as posted on here numerous times... quit posting links, mentioning other sites, or directing people to competitor sites (even in PM). If you don't understand the rules, please read them here:

http://forums.softballfans.com/rules.php

I can answer any question you may have. Agree or disagree with them, that's fine, but please respect the rules. Discussion is perfectly fine. Pictures are fine as long as it doesn't advertise for other sites. This all creates more work for me, then you cry and send me hate PM's because you didn't follow the rules.

-Ryan

DIRTY 30

Kubota slugger - just get one, you won't be disappointed if you get a KSG model

KSN (N standing for nanshiki) models are nice as well. Nicer than most garbage found here in the states.

Rubberball is called Nanshiki. Hardball is baseball. Rubberball gloves are usually a step down in leather quality from their hardball counterparts from my experience. Padding and craftsmanship remain the same.

ball-nanshiki1.jpg

Godsdog

Fellas, as posted on here numerous times... quit posting links, mentioning other sites, or directing people to competitor sites (even in PM). If you don't understand the rules, please read them here:

http://forums.softballfans.com/rules.php

I can answer any question you may have. Agree or disagree with them, that's fine, but please respect the rules. Discussion is perfectly fine. Pictures are fine as long as it doesn't advertise for other sites. This all creates more work for me, then you cry and send me hate PM's because you didn't follow the rules.

-Ryan

Sorry, my apologies. By your definition, a "competitor" is any website that sells anything softball related even if sbf doesn't even carry that item?

For example: http://www.softballfans.com/index/p...earch+by+Product+#+or+Keyword&FullText=kubota No results.

Thanks!

Tomasik14

The Veteran
That Sha|do elite J MVP BF1589 has PORON padding?! Doesn't the HOH dual cores have the same kind of padding, which becomes softer faster?

Godsdog

That Sha|do elite J MVP BF1589 has PORON padding?! Doesn't the HOH dual cores have the same kind of padding, which becomes softer faster?

No clue. I am the noob :) I just think it looks super pretty :)

Looks like they can both be obtained for around $320 each.

Dirty, you ever dissect one of those?

I wonder if it really "worth" it- I, obviously, have never held one or seen one irl.

Last edited:

DIRTY 30

I'm sure it's referring to the palm pad as being poron.

Dirty, you ever dissect one of those?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySYg7MOlokE[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOQ-KniTKgI[/ame]

Here's a Dual Core for ya, Tom. They have the same padding as a normal HOH.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vj1h1p9BJw[/ame]

mikgars

Manager
I think the Poron palm pad is found in the Revo and gg lines. What makes the dual core HOH close to game ready out of the box is the leather. While still being supplied by Horween its Horween's featherlite leather which is a treated to make it softer faster than the Horween leather used in typical HOH's.

Godsdog

So, no one is doubting the quality of the Elite Js...that's good. :)

Must...resist...urge...

saint

Voted '15 Mod of the Year
Sorry, my apologies. By your definition, a "competitor" is any website that sells anything softball related even if sbf doesn't even carry that item?

For example: http://www.softballfans.com/index/p...earch+by+Product+#+or+Keyword&FullText=kubota No results.

Thanks!

Yes, even if we dont sell the item. Clearly defined in the rules. I don't make the rules, I just help enforce them. Sorry guys. You are new here and understand that you may not completely grasp the rules yet, but many of these other guys do.

Godsdog

Yes, even if we dont sell the item. Clearly defined in the rules. I don't make the rules, I just help enforce them. Sorry guys. You are new here and understand that you may not completely grasp the rules yet, but many of these other guys do.

Understood. Thanks for clarifying. Lesson learned.