Other Not a question

IrishBlue

Addicted to Softballfans
As the majority of the people on here seem to be from the USA I thought I would share this video of some of our European Softball Federation umpires at work at the recent championships in Prague in the Czech Republic a couple of weeks ago.

[ame]http://youtu.be/C7rQPbF_j9Q[/ame]

IrishBlue

Addicted to Softballfans
What are they wearing?

Okay, gotta ask. What are this umpires wearing on their belt?

At every tournament the ESF gives the umpires a gift as a memento of the tournament. Last year all of the umpires were given brushes with belt pouches.

This year it was new uniform shirts as we are adding red to our blues.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
It looked like some of the umpires were wearing shirts/jackets from Honig's. I didn't know they had Honig's in Europe... :)

IrishBlue

Addicted to Softballfans
Hoenigs in Europe

Hoenigs have a distributor in the Czech Republic. They supply the ESF and other European federations.

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
I really thought by the title of this video that we were going to see some idiot slowpitch players get heated, get in the face of the umps, and then see the umps lay out the meat heads. I was a bit disappointed.

IrishBlue

Addicted to Softballfans
Lucky us

I really thought by the title of this video that we were going to see some idiot slowpitch players get heated, get in the face of the umps, and then see the umps lay out the meat heads. I was a bit disappointed.

Happily ejections are very very rare in European slow pitch at tournament level. Only one in the 13 years I've been involved. A few more in fast pitch.

IrishBlue

Addicted to Softballfans
Really upset

I was not happy at the decision to add red to our blues. Unfortunately they look much better than I thought they would so i don't get a big I told you so moment. :(

EsqUmp

Manager
Okay, so I like the idea of the video, but these mechanics are all over the place.

1. Nearly a minute devoted to watching umpires brush clean bases. They must get a supplemental check for doubling as a grounds crew.

2. Plate umpires moving into fair territory and almost trailing a BR with a R2 on 2nd base.

3. Plate umpires needlessly pointing on the most obvious of swings.

4. Plate umpires pointing to the 1st & 3rd base umpires to start each inning. Umpires are paid to make judgements. If an umpire can't judge that another umpire who is standing upright, facing home plate and has his eyes open is ready to start the inning, why is he on the field? Can we say "over officious?"

5. Plate umpires constantly making calls with their mask on.

6. 3BU calling a runner out in a "pickle" when the plate umpire has been signaling foul ball repeatedly.

7. Plate umpires not turning to watch the runner touch home plate.

8. Plate umpires making calls at the plate from 10 feet up the 3rd base line.

9. Plate umpires aggressively calling foul balls that are whacked against the backstop.

10. Plate umpires who look like they are Mimes who are performing when giving the count.

IrishBlue

Addicted to Softballfans
Ok. Ok.

Okay, so I like the idea of the video, but these mechanics are all over the place.

1. Nearly a minute devoted to watching umpires brush clean bases. They must get a supplemental check for doubling as a grounds crew.

2. Plate umpires moving into fair territory and almost trailing a BR with a R2 on 2nd base.

3. Plate umpires needlessly pointing on the most obvious of swings.

4. Plate umpires pointing to the 1st & 3rd base umpires to start each inning. Umpires are paid to make judgements. If an umpire can't judge that another umpire who is standing upright, facing home plate and has his eyes open is ready to start the inning, why is he on the field? Can we say "over officious?"

5. Plate umpires constantly making calls with their mask on.

6. 3BU calling a runner out in a "pickle" when the plate umpire has been signaling foul ball repeatedly.

7. Plate umpires not turning to watch the runner touch home plate.

8. Plate umpires making calls at the plate from 10 feet up the 3rd base line.

9. Plate umpires aggressively calling foul balls that are whacked against the backstop.

10. Plate umpires who look like they are Mimes who are performing when giving the count.

EsqUmp,

Thanks for the feedback. I don't want to debate anything as this is fast pitch and whilst some of it is common to both disciplines I don't do fast pitch.

1: That's what they are taught to do. Note that the people doing the video are generally not players, nor are they umpires so they filmed a lot of dross as b roll and compiled it as a collection of activity from the umpires. Not necessarily relevant. In this tournament there were 13 games a day over 5 days. Lots of bags and plates get brushed. The field crew clean their bags and the pitchers plate between innings and the plate umpire does the plate after the warm up pitches are finished.

2: They are taught to trail the batter runner to first except when a runner is likely to score so it's judgement whether they go in or not. These are three person crews so third is covered by another umpire.

3: I also think they point a bit too much in fast pitch over here.

4: That's what we are taught to do. Every time.

5: Couldn't comment.

6: Someone hasn't got their ears on ;)

7: I noticed that too.

8: That's their holding position. Not always ideal and not the rule on close plays generally.

9: No idea why either.

10: Nothing wrong with nice, clear signals.

11: I am surprised no one has commented on the fact that one of the umpires has ripped the arse out of their pants (6:40 in) :)

umpguy

Addicted to Softballfans
gotta agree....looks like the majority of them could use a good clinic. some really suspect mechanics