ASA Not starting out in thje batter's box

yance

Addicted to Softballfans
I pitch and there are players who stand with one foot in and one foot out of the box, almost at 90 degrees to the pitcher. I ask the ump and he says "its ok." Others stand a good 4+ feet from home plate again " It's ok". since there is no penalty, does that make it ok. Been playin for over 30 years never had an ump say squat. Sorry end of rant.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
IN ASA (unless the rules have changed since 2011) both feet have to be in the batter's box. Then the questions becomes is the batter's box lined. If they are not lined good luck trying to get a batter's box infraction called.

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
ASA now USA, the rule hasn't changed. Both feet must be ENTIRELY in the box before the pitch is thrown. Whether or not the box is marked, the box is still there. Measurements don't change. Can still be called for out of the box even if not marked. 3' W x 7' L (4' forward from center of plate 3' back)

blakcherry329

ASA now USA, the rule hasn't changed. Both feet must be ENTIRELY in the box before the pitch is thrown. Whether or not the box is marked, the box is still there. Measurements don't change. Can still be called for out of the box even if not marked. 3' W x 7' L (4' forward from center of plate 3' back)
Never gets called, ever.

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
Our UIC makes it a point of emphasis every season. It's not that big a deal to tell guys to start in the box.

milesej05

The Rookie
Played in Des Moines last weekend and I have and open stance and always start with my right foot on the line or barley outside the box. Played 5 games (all with chalked lines) and was told in the 6th game that I needed to get both feet in the box.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Played in Des Moines last weekend and I have and open stance and always start with my right foot on the line or barley outside the box. Played 5 games (all with chalked lines) and was told in the 6th game that I needed to get both feet in the box.

Apparently you ran into an umpire who knows the rule and willing to do the job for which s/he is being paid:)

defos

You must have played in either Clive or at Raccoon River Park in West Des Moines. The lines tend to last there, partly because the batter's boxes are the correct size - or possibly too big at Raccoon River. At the Greater Des Moines Complex where I play, the lines don't last long at all, partly because the boxes are too small, and they don't take care of their infields like Clive does. They can't be more than 30" from the outside of one line to the outside of the other. Besides, you got called on being out of the box. They don't do that at Greater Des Moines.

milesej05

The Rookie
You must have played in either Clive or at Raccoon River Park in West Des Moines. The lines tend to last there, partly because the batter's boxes are the correct size - or possibly too big at Raccoon River. At the Greater Des Moines Complex where I play, the lines don't last long at all, partly because the boxes are too small, and they don't take care of their infields like Clive does. They can't be more than 30" from the outside of one line to the outside of the other. Besides, you got called on being out of the box. They don't do that at Greater Des Moines.

I played 2 games at DSM complex and 4 at Lions Park. It seemed the early games had the correct size boxes but when they would drag the field between games and rechalk the batters box, they made them A LOT narrower than they should be. Most likely why I have never been called on this.

defos

I played at Lions Park for 8 years, but I think '94 was the last time I played there. At the DSM Complex, there are short bits of rope sticking out of the ground to mark the corners of the batter's boxes. Pretty sure the rope bits aren't much over 24" apart, so even if the lines are outside the ropes the boxes are about 6" too narrow. I stand with my back heel against the outside rope end, and have no trouble covering the plate. I did that at Raccoon River, and my bat barely reached to the middle of the plate. The boxes at Clive are about like RR. The infields in Clive are the best I'll ever play on. Pro level or darn close to it. Took me a game and a half of a dh to figure out the bad hops I was used to at DSM weren't going to happen!