NOW BBS U-Trip vs. Post-ABI ASA

Peacock

DBOTY 2011
Hi guys,

I wanted to ask if anybody has any data on the BBS between U-Trip and Post-ABI ASA bats.
I am mainly looking at NOW speeds, but any information will do.

I have been to the Kettering.edu page and those results are not really what I am looking for.
I am looking for real life data, if possible.

The background for this question is an argument that I am having regarding the use of these bats in FP and which bats pose more danger to the pitcher.

I would say that it's the ASA bats because they already perform at their maximum level and that they are most likely have a larger overall sweet spot.

Country35

Banned User
the difference in actual testing between an asa and utrip bat in the hands of your average player are so small its not worth discussing

Peacock

DBOTY 2011
the difference in actual testing between an asa and utrip bat in the hands of your average player are so small its not worth discussing

I know, but the guy is a total tool and I need data to back it up. He thinks he's an awesome player btw.

Chrisd

Outstanding Bad Dealer
No one gets that either my Utrip stuff and my Asa stuff is damn near the same may sneak an extra one or so out but that's all.

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
It really boils down to the bat, more than ASA vs utrip. No bat was hotter than the OGGS out of the wrapper, with the possible exception of a titanium with a rock. OGGS was better than an OG Ultra (I put the first swings on a GS and an Ultra in the same BP session). You'll also have bats like the AVR that need a couple hundred swings to really open up. On the flip side, you have bats like the SCN12 (glaring example) that need time to break in, and several post-ABI bats that are close to peak performance out of the wrapper.

Peacock

DBOTY 2011
So the conclusion is that there really is not difference, right?

Any place to get one of those OGGS's? ;)

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
there's a reason utrip bats aren't legal in asa, but asa bats are legal in utrip...

the difference may be small, maybe 1-2mph in the BBS, but it's always in favour of utrip bat.

no sense is only worrying about new vs new, most ppl will have broken in bats in games.

petebanta

Addicted to Softballfans
there's a reason utrip bats aren't legal in asa, but asa bats are legal in utrip...

the difference may be small, maybe 1-2mph in the BBS, but it's always in favour of utrip bat.

no sense is only worrying about new vs new, most ppl will have broken in bats in games.

I concur.

The general consensus that I have observed here is that U-Trip is hotter than ASA, in general (when same bat in both versions, so apples-apples comparison).

Seems hotter bat is more unsafe, regardless of Slow or fast-pitch.

Faster in = Faster out.

honda700xx

Manager
It really boils down to the bat, more than ASA vs utrip. No bat was hotter than the OGGS out of the wrapper, with the possible exception of a titanium with a rock. OGGS was better than an OG Ultra (I put the first swings on a GS and an Ultra in the same BP session). You'll also have bats like the AVR that need a couple hundred swings to really open up. On the flip side, you have bats like the SCN12 (glaring example) that need time to break in, and several post-ABI bats that are close to peak performance out of the wrapper.

No bat was hotter than a og ultra maxload out of the wrapper that ever passed the testing.

Camp

Giving Bitches Complexes
Pretty sure post abi bats don't perform at there max level. Could be wrong but I thought they are made to break in to 98mph opposed to the pre abi which broke the 98mph reg.

100+ for utrips

honda700xx

Manager
Until you hit a GS and an OG Maxload out of the wrapper side by side....

Yep and the Ultra is the hotter bat all around, no gs ever put out would hit with the ultra and if it did the market on the gs would be threw the roof just like it is for the og ultra.

Every bat hits diffrent new and I think you got a ultra that was one of those bats. Iv owned 30 or so of the og ultra maxloads a one given time or another and not one of the seem to have the same pop out of the wrapper. Im sure some of the oggs were the same.

Also the feel of a bat can play a huge role in how you hit,I could not for the life of me hit the Genesis worth a crap but could kill the ultra!!!

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep and the Ultra is the hotter bat all around, no gs ever put out would hit with the ultra and if it did the market on the gs would be threw the roof just like it is for the og ultra.

Every bat hits diffrent new and I think you got a ultra that was one of those bats. Iv owned 30 or so of the og ultra maxloads a one given time or another and not one of the seem to have the same pop out of the wrapper. Im sure some of the oggs were the same.

Also the feel of a bat can play a huge role in how you hit,I could not for the life of me hit the Genesis worth a crap but could kill the ultra!!!

The Genesis had a smaller sweetspot. Maybe the OGGS you hit out of the wrapper was one of the dead ones?

honda700xx

Manager
The Genesis had a smaller sweetspot. Maybe the OGGS you hit out of the wrapper was one of the dead ones?

This is totaly possible, im thinking about getting one form the store and trying this all over again as I still have a 27 oz og maxload niw.

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew

The questions wasn't which is the hotter bat, it's which would outperform out of the wrapper. There's no question whatsoever that an Ultra would outhit a GS once it breaks in. I'm talking about the first 5-10 swings. I've swung many Ultras, and many GS's...and nothing is hotter right out of the wrapper.

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
100+ for utrips

No. But anyway...

The only way you're really going to get the data you're looking for is to conduct the testing yourself, since most of the hard data are going to be from in-house/association testing, ergo not published. The 1.20 BPF testing doesn't, however, allow for bats to be that vastly superior to ASA certified bats when the bat stays compliant with the standard. The problem there is obviously that bats aren't staying compliant, as evidenced by the move toward ABI testing.

fierce_gt

Addicted to Softballfans
Until you hit a GS and an OG Maxload out of the wrapper side by side....

maybe that's the batter, not the bat?

i had issues hitting the ultras, which i thought was weird, but having tried other senior bats i've gotten better results with them. that was with the u2 though.

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
maybe that's the batter, not the bat?

i had issues hitting the ultras, which i thought was weird, but having tried other senior bats i've gotten better results with them. that was with the u2 though.

Definitely not. After 50-75 or so swings the Ultra was clearly ahead.