ASA Obstruction By the Umpire?

GrandCherokee

Addicted to Softballfans
Yesterday during a game our umpire called obstruction on himself. BR ran through first and after a wild throw started towards 2nd base and ran into the umpire. Umpire, after stumbling, signaled obstruction and awarded 2nd base. Is this correct?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Yesterday during a game our umpire called obstruction on himself. BR ran through first and after a wild throw started towards 2nd base and ran into the umpire. Umpire, after stumbling, signaled obstruction and awarded 2nd base. Is this correct?

As much as it would make sense to fix an umpire's mistake, no, there is no such animal.

GrandCherokee

Addicted to Softballfans
That is what I thought. I don't feel he made a mistake. Well, that is until he ruled obstruction. Thanks for the help.

smg1986

Part Time Player
That is not the correct call. The ump is considered the playing field, and thus if it hits him, then it is no different than if it hit dirt. Not only did he make the wrong call, he should never position himself in a spot to get hit. Therefore, he messed up double.

tnacty

Director
He didn't get hit by the throw but rather the runner...doesn't change the fact that he enforced a non-call

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
I could've used this a few months ago. Bases loaded, 1 out, I'm on first, and the batter hits a ground ball to the bucket playing a few steps on the first base side of second base and about 15 feet behind it. The umpire started off between the bucket and second baseman, about 10 feet behind the baseline, and when the ball was hit, turned to watch the ball and quickly backpedaled into the base line. I was running hard toward the base when I realized the umpire was moving into my path. The bucket booted the ball, but the umpire got into the baseline and I pretty much tackled him. By the time I got up, the fielder had recovered and he beat me to the base.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
In a senior game, I saw a seasoned umpire block a runner, causing an out.

They were using a scoring line and, as an unexpected throw came to home, the ump instinctively backed up to protect himself from a possible passed ball and completely boxed out the runner.

Legally, all he could say was "oops".

Last edited:

Taprootgft

Addicted to Softballfans
As much as it would make sense to fix an umpire's mistake, no, there is no such animal.

Semi-on/off topic, are there specific guidelines to umpire position? And if there are could an umpire who disregards the rules of positioning and causes a collision with either a fielder or runner and causes an injury be found negligent and create a legal liability for the league and the association he represents?

So with that said wouldn't a call like this be more of a good faith call, a mea culpa to keep good will of the other party, as we say in the insurance business, it's a "but for" "but for the actions of the umpire the unimpeded runner/fielder would have safely completed X action"

Just an observation from a liability stand point. But that is all dependent on there being guidelines for umpire positioning.

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
Semi-on/off topic, are there specific guidelines to umpire position? And if there are could an umpire who disregards the rules of positioning and causes a collision with either a fielder or runner and causes an injury be found negligent and create a legal liability for the league and the association he represents?

So with that said wouldn't a call like this be more of a good faith call, a mea culpa to keep good will of the other party, as we say in the insurance business, it's a "but for" "but for the actions of the umpire the unimpeded runner/fielder would have safely completed X action"

Just an observation from a liability stand point. But that is all dependent on there being guidelines for umpire positioning.

Always looking for reasons to sue someone in America! Gotta love it!

Taprootgft

Addicted to Softballfans
Well I'm not saying I would, but if guidelines state that a field umpire go from point a to point b as a result of a specific situation and they inexplicably go to point c instead thus causing a collision with a player which in turn causes an injury, yes I understand accidents happen, but if your accident causes an injury to someone I could see this being an issue.

Also if there is no rule to rectify an umpires interference what is there to stop an umpire who is either angry with one team or just has a prior relationship with the other team from "accidentally" interfering with play? I know 99% of umpires never would, but there is always the 1% that ruin things. What recourse would you have to protest the game with no rule or guideline to cite? Or could you cite a rule/guideline from the organizations umpires handbook (which I am assuming there is one).

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
To be honest, I don't believe that answering those questions will contribute to anyone's positive understanding of proper officiating in the game of softball.

Illegal pitcher

The Veteran
Also if there is no rule to rectify an umpires interference what is there to stop an umpire who is either angry with one team or just has a prior relationship with the other team from "accidentally" interfering with play? I know 99% of umpires never would, but there is always the 1% that ruin things. What recourse would you have to protest the game with no rule or guideline to cite?

An umpire that wants to purposely hurt a team would have no problem doing so.

What's to stop an umpire from calling a batted ball that is 5' foul a fair ball? Nothing. It can't even be protested.

What's to stop an umpire from calling a batter out that was easily safe? Nothing.

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
Well I'm not saying I would, but if guidelines state that a field umpire go from point a to point b as a result of a specific situation and they inexplicably go to point c instead thus causing a collision with a player which in turn causes an injury, yes I understand accidents happen, but if your accident causes an injury to someone I could see this being an issue.

Yes, there are guidelines for umpire movement, but that can all change depending on the play, where fielders are, etc.

You are the guy who would sue for a bad throw huh? Saying that player should not have thrown the ball cause it might be a bad throw which hits you......