Any Obstruction/Interference question.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
It's early, and I haven't had my caffeine, so I might have the terms flipped, but this is a situation that happened a couple weeks ago and was just wondering if the correct call was made.

Runners on base and the ball is hit to the OF for a double. The batter turned runner eases up going into second base and stops on the bag. The SS receives the throw from the outfield, and turns to throw home. He is around 8 feet from second base on a direct line to 3rd base. As soon as the ball was thrown the batter-runner on 2nd base takes off for 3rd, and runs into the SS. Catcher throws the ball to me at third and we tag the batter-runner out at 3rd base. Umpire says runner is safe at 3rd due to obstruction by the SS.

Correct call?

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Sounds right. Or, at least, I don't see anything in your description that would make me think it's wasn't obstruction.

If the fielder is not in the act of fielding a batted ball or making a play, the runner has the right-of-way to run the bases without being obstructed. And when the play is over the umpire can award the runner which ever base, or bases, he thinks the runner would have reached had he not been obstructed.

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans
Correct me if I'm wrong...if in the umpire's judgement the runner would have been out at third even without the obstruction the umpire can send him back to second safely.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Correct me if I'm wrong...if in the umpire's judgement the runner would have been out at third even without the obstruction the umpire can send him back to second safely.

Correct, but we do tend to give the runner the benefit of the doubt.

VF500Racer

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah, but what's the point in doing that?:confused:
The defense can keep obstructing all day long
just to keep runners at same base(s).:mad:
Got to make it hurt a bit to keep people
from obstructing/interfering. :rolleyes:

I had an Asian team complained to me bitterly 2 yrs
ago b/c I called them on obstructing 1B and home plate
multi times b/c their big catcher just stand on plate
after each play and 1B always stand on inside corner
of 1B (to stop runner from turning 2nd).
Their excuse???
There were new and didn't know the rules...
I just looked at them and didn't say anything b/c that's
a BS excuse. They were lucky just to get only 2 outs from me.
I was thinking ejections at one point.

Last edited:

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Yeah, but what's the point in doing that?:confused:
The defense can keep obstructing all day long
just to keep runners at same base(s).:mad:
Got to make it hurt a bit to keep people
from obstructing/interfering. :rolleyes:

The point is that the defense is then unable to get these runners out.

mazzamouth

<font color="#191970">Punching Judy Swinger</font>

the umpre can also keep him at 3rd if he felt ( in his judgment) he was gonna make it there any ways..