Obstruction??

GaBo

R1 is caught in a run-down between 2nd and 3rd base. From second base, F1 runs after R1 and then throws to F2 by third base. F2 runs R1 back towards second, throws to F1 who tags R1 as he approaches for an apparent out. However, the umpire rules that F1 obstructed R1 and called R1 safe. Question: can a fielder who has the ball ever be called for obstruction?

ureout

The Veteran
"IF" the fielder ALREADY had possession of the ball AND NOT standing in front of the bag waiting for it I would have an out on the tag of the runner.. if the fielder was blocking the bag and in my judgment hindered the runner while waiting for the ball I would have OBS ..

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
No, a fielder in possession of the ball can not be guilty of committing obstruction. Obstruction is a delayed call, you would have to ask the umpire when the obstruction occurred. Obstruction occurs as soon as the runner has to change their path or slow down because of a fielder. If F1 was chasing, threw to F2, there is almost no way F1 is getting the ball back making the tag without obstructing.