Odd Sound 2018 Miken Freak 20th Anniversary Maxload ASA

pchrisp

Hello All,

I am new to the forum and recently purchased this bat brand new. After taking it out of the wrapper and taking some bp swings the bat did not sound like others. Is this normal? I am debating sending it back to Miken under their warranty. The sound is more like a thud/dull crack than a traditional ping you would hear from other bats. This is my first Miken and was not sure whether this sound is normal for a Miken to make. Thanks in advance

JFBallPlayer

what bat did you used to swing before miken?

Ping is normally from an aluminium bat
composite bats like miken/worth/easton have a thud and crack sound depending on what part of the barrel you hit.

_brudy

Honestly I have heard of the sound of the barrel of Miken 20th anni and the Freak Platinum be described as "weird" or "ugly" even by composite standards. I have a lot of experience with a Freak Platinum Maxload and its sound was always more of a dull thwack/crack, but keep in mind that no composite bat should "ping" anymore. How is the performance, is it feeling good? If you got it NIW (especially with a return) swing away! The sound should get a little better when the bat breaks in, but not very much.

mvfjet

Part Time Player
The ASA Miken's sound different because of the floating double barrel compared to their Utrip. I have last year's 20th anniversary balanced 12" barrel and this year's KP23 and they sound different from each other but perform about the same. If the performance is there don't worry about the sound.

pchrisp

what bat did you used to swing before miken?

Ping is normally from an aluminium bat
composite bats like miken/worth/easton have a thud and crack sound depending on what part of the barrel you hit.

I was previously using a demarini two-piece. I forget the name

pchrisp

Honestly I have heard of the sound of the barrel of Miken 20th anni and the Freak Platinum be described as "weird" or "ugly" even by composite standards. I have a lot of experience with a Freak Platinum Maxload and its sound was always more of a dull thwack/crack, but keep in mind that no composite bat should "ping" anymore. How is the performance, is it feeling good? If you got it NIW (especially with a return) swing away! The sound should get a little better when the bat breaks in, but not very much.

I've had a couple people, both on my team and on other teams comment on the sound being "off". I didn't know if it was a break-in thing or if the barrell was defective. I was also wondering if the rubber connection piece had anything to do with it

_brudy

I've had a couple people, both on my team and on other teams comment on the sound being "off". I didn't know if it was a break-in thing or if the barrell was defective. I was also wondering if the rubber connection piece had anything to do with it

Nah, just he inner barrel plus the composite material that is used. If it sounds like this, you are good to go

pchrisp

Nah, just he inner barrel plus the composite material that is used. If it sounds like this, you are good to go

The best way I can describe it is it sounds like I'm hitting the ball with a log plus mine is the 14 inch barrell

ShortYellowBus

I have to say, I hate selling bats to people who have little or no experience with ASA non-linear bats. I have no tie in to this thread, just stating a consistency, regrettably. The odd sounds that is heard is the bat doing the work for you.

If you swing the bat and the ball flies far, it’s probably not broken.

r8dr_rider

I have to say, I hate selling bats to people who have little or no experience with ASA non-linear bats. I have no tie in to this thread, just stating a consistency, regrettably. The odd sounds that is heard is the bat doing the work for you.

I just sold a Super Z and the buyer almost didn’t want the bat cuz the glass breaking sound

Hiltz

Built for comfort
...but keep in mind that no composite bat should "ping" anymore.

Newer ASA bats with inner barrels for the most part have a dull "thwack" sound, but there are plenty of bats that sound pingy. Any ASA Louisville with discs sounds like beer bottles clanking together and USSSA Mikens/Worths sound like alloy bats when new.

^ This.