Okay, I get it now!!

Hallsy2

After seeing all the glowing reviews on here for GW its hard not to want at least one. I went for the proper approach however (IMHO) and ordered a custom one and one from Davis Relacing. Can't wait to get them! If ANNASDAD is happy then these must be the real deal!

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
I just looked at 1/16" on my tape measure. I don't get it...….. I've used Wilson A2000's all my life & never once thought about needing 1/4" lace. I don't understand the obsession. I've got some tan lace in-house that's do stiff that I have to pre-condition it prior to use. It's more than enough in any part of a glove.

If someone sent you a new Vinci with the thumb issue at this point, it either NOS or they (or whoever they got it from) has been sitting on it for a long time or somebody did something very wrong. The lace on a Vinci Limited Series glove is a PITA because it's the same kip as the rest of the glove. It's tough as nails & a pain to break in. I've often wished that they would just use a good quality steer hide lace. They don't need better lace. They need a more workable lace.

Obsession huh? Okay, never thought of it that way but I can live with that, guilty as charged! I'm somewhat OCD, but just about a few hundred things;), but what I am OCD about, I'm REALLY OCD about and I guess ballglove lace falls into that category.....

Back to the Vinci lace, you say the Limited models have Kip leather lace just like the shell or entire glove.........the last 5 Vinci's that's been in my house were all Limited models with one being that BV1929 that I helped break in for another dad so it didn't belong to me, but the other 4 did. The thing is there is / was NO break in with any of these laces, they're seriously as flimsy and loose as old shoestrings, now I'm sure this lace meets any tensile strength requirements for Vinci so maybe there's where it's MY problem or "obsession":D.

The 4 out of those 5 gloves I'm talking about, the ones I owned, I re-laced the web, web spiral, and fingers with 1/4" Tanners within several days of opening their boxes, to me it made all the difference in the world, in looks and stiffness, and my peace of mind!

Thanks for exposing my disorder for all the World to see Maverick, I'm going to go order some 1/4" lace online now, I'm starting to feel a twitch in my head!

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I just looked at 1/16" on my tape measure. I don't get it...….. I've used Wilson A2000's all my life & never once thought about needing 1/4" lace. I don't understand the obsession. I've got some tan lace in-house that's do stiff that I have to pre-condition it prior to use. It's more than enough in any part of a glove.

I may be wrong, but I think Wilson uses lace that's between 3/16" and 1/4". I Know Mizuno does, I just re-laced a couple gloves with their lace. The in-between size is a good compromise, I don't feel the need for anything heavier. But I'm only playing softball. If I was at the hot corner in a baseball game, I'd have 1/4" in the web/fingertips.

MaverickAH

The last Wilson that I bought for personal consumption was Jan '97. Nothing even remotely close to 1/4" on that glove. I've got a XLO in my hand right now, circa 1987, that has all its original lacing & is 3/16" throughout at best. Actually, I don't think that it's even a full 3/16" lace! The only places thicker are the thumb & pinkie loops. They use thicker lace now but since all of the Wilsons I own are vintage...…..

Drumbum37

Addicted to Softballfans
Mizuno and Wilson lace is 5.5mm (in between 3/16 and 1/4 as stated). Flatbill sells 5.5mm as well but it's from Auburn leather so it's a little softer compared to TN tanning.

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
Mizuno and Wilson lace is 5.5mm (in between 3/16 and 1/4 as stated). Flatbill sells 5.5mm as well but it's from Auburn leather so it's a little softer compared to TN tanning.
The difference in measurement is negligible between 3/16', 5.5mm, and 1/4" but the difference visually is strikingly obvious. Flat Bill is also offering 3/16" and 1/4" in the very near future.

Drumbum37

Addicted to Softballfans
The difference in measurement is negligible between 3/16', 5.5mm, and 1/4" but the difference visually is strikingly obvious. Flat Bill is also offering 3/16" and 1/4" in the very near future.
I wish bfp/Tennessee tanning would sell 5.5mm tan... I'll stick with 3/16 til then haha.

beeblebobble

Starting Player
Pretty much all science is done in metric in the US.
I'm not a scientist, but its great that they conformed to the rest of the world. Sadly American engineers love to mix the two up, so as a mechanic I had to buy sae and metric everything, 90s Caterpillar equipment is the worst. And the whole disconnect from the rest of the world, its silly we're still using feet and fahrenheit.

Last edited:

NYC

Swag on 100.
I'm not a scientist, but its great that they conformed to the rest of the world. Sadly American engineers love to mix the two up, so as a mechanic I had to buy sae and metric everything, 90s Caterpillar equipment is the worst. And the whole disconnect from the rest of the world, its silly we're still using feet and fahrenheit.
I prefer imperial. 6'2" is easier to picture than 188cm.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Sadly American engineers love to mix the two up, so as a mechanic I had to buy sae and metric everything, 90s Caterpillar equipment is the worst. And the whole disconnect from the rest of the world, its silly we're still using feet and fahrenheit.

I prefer imperial. 6'2" is easier to picture than 188cm.

Yet someone just a few hundred miles north of you can picture 1.8m a lot better than 6'2"

Being born in Canada in the early 80's, I'm a mish-mash of imperial and metric.

I can tell you how tall I am in feet/inches, what I weigh in pounds, what the temperature is in Celsius, how many litres of milk are in my fridge, and I have both SAE and metric bolt thread charts memorized.

PS - colour, honour, chesterfield

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
It would make sense to only make 5.5mm lace and not have to make /3/16" and 1/4". Is tanners still a part of the Rawlings family?

Hallsy2

Not trying to hijack the thread here but Dan sent me this pic yesterday. Beyond excited!

AF1QipMHX850f_qx-gc67Xx9-FCwyPuviVv5RRxZvbPQ

Hallsy2

That ones going to be my hardball glove, i got a 12.25" coming in hopefully this week as well that will be used for softball