One Nation Slowpitch

Rgates8

Question- our local softball league is abandoning our long time ASA sanction for something called One Nation Softball. We will apparently be using rules from all sanctions with maybe no limitations to bats used with 52/300 balls. Just wondering if anyone knows of this and can tell me how this will be a step in the right direction for softball in western Washington. Thanks in advance for any info.

westdude

Addicted to Softballfans
I think the selling point they're trying to emphasis with One Nation is avoiding sandbagging teams and individuals. As far as rules, the only variation from normal stuff that stands out is the designated home run hitter. The bats are 1.20/220 compression with a variety of balls including 52/300. Your league may be allows the ASA stamp to help blowback from the change.

Just an observation but it sounds seems like every decade or two local municipalities have drama/pushback with more established associations and move to a different one. I hadn't played softball for 10+ years and came back and there were several new associations springing up from this cycle.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
My understanding is that OneNation was started by the same person that started GSL. Which is why the rule book is almost exactly the same, like the DHH. They've really been battling with USSSA/GSL in the midwest to the point that I'm not allowed to umpire OneNation without specific written authorization of the USSSA Director of Officials.

@jbo911 do I have that right? OneNation is why USSSA doesn't allow you to see a specific players rating anymore.

@Rgates8 Do each of your players have to pay the registration fee in addition to the team?

Rgates8

Yes I was told each individual has to pay a registration fee and be given a status of play A-Rec. I am also excited about looking for a Utrip bat.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
If our league did this i would call it done for me, I'm not paying an individual fee regardless of how much/little it may be.. recreational softball is just not all that important imo

dunkky

i think an individual fee of 20 or 25. don't know why they are charging it, but they do.

also, it's a yearly thingy i believe. i could be wrong.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
My understanding is that OneNation was started by the same person that started GSL. Which is why the rule book is almost exactly the same, like the DHH. They've really been battling with USSSA/GSL in the midwest to the point that I'm not allowed to umpire OneNation without specific written authorization of the USSSA Director of Officials.

@jbo911 do I have that right? OneNation is why USSSA doesn't allow you to see a specific players rating anymore.

@Rgates8 Do each of your players have to pay the registration fee in addition to the team?
We have not played it, but it wouldn't surprise me. When i go to utrip's website and i can't see a players info i usually just assume utrip is being utrip though.

Taking the time to make a website and list teams rosters only to hide them before major tournaments doesn't make sense to me.

Rgates8

Our area used to have 7 divisions full of teams and lots of tournaments when we were NSA. We switched to ASA and saw a steady decline over the years of divisions and teams. Now this One Nation switch coupled with COVID
I’m guessing we will have more of a decline this year than normal. Not saying any of the associations have led to any of the decline because our city has been mostly to blame with high costs for **** fields, extra fees for lights, you name it and they have thought of it. I’m gonna embrace the change and hope for the best, it’s a great excuse to buy a couple more bats if nothing else.
Might even be able to swing senior bats with a valid USSA card. We’ll see.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
We have not played it, but it wouldn't surprise me. When i go to utrip's website and i can't see a players info i usually just assume utrip is being utrip though.

Taking the time to make a website and list teams rosters only to hide them before major tournaments doesn't make sense to me.
My understanding from talking to people in your area is that USSSA made the move to hide a player's rating from everyone but the player and their manager because OneNation was literally classifying teams and players in their program by looking up the USSSA ranking.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
My understanding from talking to people in your area is that USSSA made the move to hide a player's rating from everyone but the player and their manager because OneNation was literally classifying teams and players in their program by looking up the USSSA ranking.
I get that, and it doesn't surprise me, but isn't the point of having player info online to discourage cheating, sandbagging, and playing with illegal players on your team? Stout Will tell you i have some strange views on this, but I'm already agitated about the roster issue to begin with. I can't believe protests cost $100 or whatever it is, and that we get nothing from the associations for our sanction money in this regard. It shouldn't be our job to police their rosters with no association assistance.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I get that, and it doesn't surprise me, but isn't the point of having player info online to discourage cheating, sandbagging, and playing with illegal players on your team? Stout Will tell you i have some strange views on this, but I'm already agitated about the roster issue to begin with. I can't believe protests cost $100 or whatever it is, and that we get nothing from the associations for our sanction money in this regard. It shouldn't be our job to police their rosters with no association assistance.
I'd actually like to see the USA model followed, certain games they check everyone, no id or id doesn't match, team is gone. I heard that something like this happened at D and E worlds this year, someone used an illegal player on Thursday, the team won, when they showed up on Friday to play they were told they were gone from the tournament.

I'd also like to see at bigger stature tournaments, state, nationals, worlds, that every team in the tournament gets one protest, just like a challenge in most sports now. Let's be as upfront and transparent about everything we can be, from umpires' interpretations to questionable bats to roster legality.

If all rosters are online, and the software won't allow you to post an illegal roster, what are you protesting that it would make a difference if the rating is publicly available?

I just finalized my schedule for this summer, I'll be in Cincy twice again this year.