Opinion on roster protesting

TheKid33

Star Player
Ok, so here's the deal. My team had our playoffs last night, and I had 4 of our 13 guys listed on roster tell me they can't show. Ok.. So I call my buddy that plays, and he agrees to come sub and pitch for us. My buddy is a pretty good player, not a world beater, he was maybe a hair or two better than any of the guys that missed our game on my roster last night. So the first team we play, we're kicking there asses 14-1 after 3 innings, coming up top of 4, ump pulls me aside and says the other team is protesting your pitcher. Needless to say I was pissed, as were my team mates, but after about 2 minutes I realized I only had myself to blame as manager for not contacting the LD prior so they could maybe make an exception since so many of our guys on the roster couldn't make it last night. While it's also pretty chicken **** of the other team to wait til they're getting there asses kicked to protest, I realize it's my fault, and I even told my buddy last night that I know this team is bitches and wouldn't be surprised if they protest. Blah. Rant over.

spos21ram

The Legend
When did the other team find out the player wasn't eligible for the playoffs? If they knew before the game and were okay with it, then once getting beat, changed their mind then that's pretty weak. However, I'm an LD and if a team used a non playoff eligible player, I'd be pretty pissed. Even if the other team was okay with it, I as an LD would not allow it. Don't even put the opposing team in that situation. It's not their fault you guys were short players. Regular season we use open rosters, but you need 40% of the games to be eligible for the playoffs. Playoffs are a big deal...here anyway, so what you did was wrong. You should have played with 9 guys.

TheKid33

Star Player
When did the other team find out the player wasn't eligible for the playoffs? If they knew before the game and were okay with it, then once getting beat, changed their mind then that's pretty weak. However, I'm an LD and if a team used a non playoff eligible player, I'd be pretty pissed. Even if the other team was okay with it, I as an LD would not allow it. Don't even put the opposing team in that situation. It's not their fault you guys were short players. Regular season we use open rosters, but you need 40% of the games to be eligible for the playoffs. Playoffs are a big deal...here anyway, so what you did was wrong. You should have played with 9 guys.

The other team knew before the game because we've played them before and they know who our regular pitcher is, he's pitched for them in years past. So they knew when he wasn't there that obviously our guy on the mound wasn't on our roster. I figured I probably should've just played with 9. I appreciate the in depth answer and honesty. It was an honest mistake on my part. I just can't believe they protested us over a guy that pitched his first game ever in slow pitch (good BP pitcher though) and didn't even have a base hit.. Really?

cstiles79

Manager
The other team played by the rules, and did what they needed to do to get the W. Should they have protested as soon as possible to secure the win.... maybe. But by them doing it this way everyone still got to play what I'm guessing was most of the game. You are correct this was your fault as manager. You brought out a player better than the ones you were replacing and knowingly broke your league's rules in an effort to try to win a softball game. It doesn't make you a bad guy, but it also doesn't mean they were in the wrong for protesting your pick up. Don't give them anything to protest and you have nothing to worry about. On the scale of chicken feces I would rank cheating as more chicken crap than protesting a team that is cheating to get to the next round. My only question to you is did you call them bitches last night while they were standing in front of you, or do you save that for message boards under screen names?

TheKid33

Star Player
The other team played by the rules, and did what they needed to do to get the W. Should they have protested as soon as possible to secure the win.... maybe. But by them doing it this way everyone still got to play what I'm guessing was most of the game. You are correct this was your fault as manager. You brought out a player better than the ones you were replacing and knowingly broke your league's rules in an effort to try to win a softball game. It doesn't make you a bad guy, but it also doesn't mean they were in the wrong for protesting your pick up. Don't give them anything to protest and you have nothing to worry about. On the scale of chicken feces I would rank cheating as more chicken crap than protesting a team that is cheating to get to the next round. My only question to you is did you call them bitches last night while they were standing in front of you, or do you save that for message boards under screen names?

I looked their manager dead in the eyes and called him a *****, and that was that. He didn't say a word, because it wasn't worth it. His team moved on. I'm not glorifying it I'm just simply stating what happened. The part that I find funny is as soon as they protested our guy, team manager on the field over caught wind of it and protested a player on the team they were playing against, and was upheld. Except the guy that was protested on that team was a C tourney player who mashes, as opposed to us bringing a decent ball player. I guess the moral of it all is, either way, it's still breaking the rules.

No need for the smart ass comments at the end, I see you're from Texas, I thought you'd have more honor than that, making petty comments. Come on, man!

zachd

The Veteran
It would be best if the rules were such that you had to protest in the first inning. You might want to double check that's not how the rule is stated if this is in a sanctioned league. I know for our ASA tourney you had to protest by the end of the first inning. Of course you also had to pay $150 (get back if the other team has illegal player, lose if they don't) . And they check YOUR roster first before the other team. So needless to say no one ever protests in our end of season ASA tourney.

We play in two different leagues here. One is strict with ASA rules... If player isn't on roster, he doesn't play. For player to be eligible for playoffs, he must have been on the lineup for two games before the playoffs begin (local rules). Protests/questioning validity of player must be done in the first inning.

On second league, it is a loose ASA league. Pretty much open roster through the season, everyone knows everyone, but any protests during playoffs have to be done before the first pitch. Otherwise, too bad, play.

I agree with OP, it was a ***** move on their part. If it wasn't a problem in the first couple innings, then there shouldn't be a problem with the rest of the game. However, rules are rules and if they aren't enforced, then they're just guidelines. Overall, it really depends on how strictly the rules are enforced in that local league.

doG

dabz
Do you guys win more than T-Shirts for winning your league? I think its laughable that anyone would complain about 1 PLAYER that's not on the roster. An incredible ***** move imo. Whoever did it is a ***** unless he's the sponsor, and even then just a little less of a *****. ALL THAT BEING SAID YOU SHOULD HAVE PLAYED WITH 9:D

doG

dabz
Slo pitch gets way to f-omg serious these days

lulz ya when I read these posts I always try to picture the man small enough in stature, confidence, and self respect to call out a ringer in the league playoffs.

Luda1468

Addicted to Softballfans
We normally roster like 15 guys just so something like this doesn't happen. There was a team here that roster checked their way to a championship after playing 4 innings the first game. Roster checked every team after that and everyone had at least 1 player that wasn't on the roster. I wouldn't roster check especially after 4 innings but everyone knows the rules at the beginning of the season so just roster extra and avoid this problem.

Redman

Come playoffs everyone brings ringers around here. I say roster check every ****ing time in playoffs.

Next time roster 25 guys and you're good.

Odog

Addicted to Softballfans
As far as etiquette, I'd say you should have approached the other team and let them know, that way if they have beef you can play with 9. In league that a **** move on their behalf IMO.

Jomatty

Starting Player
Why have rosters at all if you can bring whoever you want? Doesn't matter if just for t shirts people still play to win and should play against the people who have been playing on the team. If it is so unimportant that you can bring non roster players why do you care enough to call him a *****? By that logic they only cost you a t shirt, and that's no biggie. Next time you just have to play 9 and shouldn't put that guy in the position where he has to enforce the rules and is called a ***** when he does

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Around here if you don't protest before the game you can't after you're losing. I think it's bull that these types of things get put on the players to be honest. If you're going to make these things a league rule it shouldn't be the player's responsibility to police them.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
lulz ya when I read these posts I always try to picture the man small enough in stature, confidence, and self respect to call out a ringer in the league playoffs.

Why? Personally I've never called anybody out but you can be damn sure about one thing: If I got to play by the rules than so do you. Guys around here are always trying to pick up more than legal amount of c players they can have (can have 2 on roster) and roll to sanction tourneys with them. I don't have a problem with them playing but if they get to play then I'll be sure to bring my buddies too. You build your team with in the framework of what class you want to play. Don't try to cheat and bring more than your allowed and expect me to play you when I followed the rules and you did not.

Hambo

Starting Player
As far as etiquette, I'd say you should have approached the other team and let them know, that way if they have beef you can play with 9. In league that a **** move on their behalf IMO.

Gotta agree with this...

I've been on the opposite side of some serious BS... teams trotting out 3-5 C league tourney players (who happen to be drinking buddies with the team manager) in a local rec D league come playoffs and then run rule everyone on their way to a league championship. I hate that ****...

Having said that, if an opposing manager came up to me, explained that they were four players short and were having one guy sub in to pitch... I'd say let's play.

Waiting until you're losing to protest is a total ***** move.

Chrisklol

301' Bombs
If im not correct someone feel free to correct me but...
In USSSA tournaments, a roster check costs 100$ and is announced before the game. Also the two teams still play the game, the outcome may change due to a illegal roster but they still play..
I also think you can protest a roster at any time during the game.

pompetti

Softball Player
On second league, it is a loose ASA league. Pretty much open roster through the season, everyone knows everyone, but any protests during playoffs have to be done before the first pitch. Otherwise, too bad, play.

How does that work if the illegal player is on the visiting team and isn't the first batter? Do you have to get their lineup and match it against the official roster? Seems like it's ripe for teams to abuse by hiding the illegal player until after the first pitch.

saint

Voted '15 Mod of the Year
Why have rosters at all if you can bring whoever you want? Doesn't matter if just for t shirts people still play to win and should play against the people who have been playing on the team. If it is so unimportant that you can bring non roster players why do you care enough to call him a *****? By that logic they only cost you a t shirt, and that's no biggie. Next time you just have to play 9 and shouldn't put that guy in the position where he has to enforce the rules and is called a ***** when he does

How many times have you protested in league?

huzzdog

retired
How does that work if the illegal player is on the visiting team and isn't the first batter? Do you have to get their lineup and match it against the official roster? Seems like it's ripe for teams to abuse by hiding the illegal player until after the first pitch.

do they even still play softball in lil rhody?

zuke 37

Star Player
rules are rules.

rule #1 never turn down anyone who wants to play, put them on your roster anyway. you had 13 guys on your roster, think,
a fender bender can whip out 1/4 of your team. you would have had someone legal to call even if it was Ironsides or
shimkee the blind man.

when i have space on my roster i always add babe ruth & lou gerig, i tell my teammates i know they won't show, but if they do they are playing

NEVER NEVER NEVER turn down anyone, i've been playing for over 55 years