Organizing a tourney

rocketman98

Starting Player
I am trying to organize a charity tournament here in DFW for those affected by the tornadoes in OK. Has anyone organized a charity tournament before? I need some help on some of the finer details that I do not know about yet. I am looking at using my local field or the smaller fields in my area. I know with the smaller fields that there is more of a chance for HR's so if I went there I would try and do a pay by HR set up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Nateorious

Addicted to Softballfans
I would say make it as simple as possible being your first tourney that you have ran.

Divisions - open, upper/lower, or E/D/C?
Games and type - 3/4/5gg? Round robin our brackets?
Price point/prizes - less expensive with no prizes, mid with no prizes or small prizes, higher price and prizes?
Balls - boyb, supply teams with balls that they keep track of, or umps have balls?
Umps/rules - sanction it, local league, or find voulnteers?

Here is a good list of things to think about.
You don't want to be chasing balls all day so figure out a system that you want to use that keeps teams accountable.
Simple, smooth, on time! Fun

rocketman98

Starting Player
I am looking at it being open with a byob. I am working on sponsors for prize packages. I have one guy that will make shirts for me and get me a crew of usssa umps from my local park to help. I was told for the size of the tourney it will cost $500 to rent the fields from 8am-11pm. I would hope that this will be a long enough time frame. I would like to make it a 3gg, but that would depend on the amount of teams I have show up. I am wrestling on whether I want to have it only men's or have a coed as well. I can either use the adult softball park, or the smaller girls park in our city. If I do use the smaller park, I am thinking of a HR derby as well. I have a friend that is a dealer for worth so I am talking to him about donating a bat for the winner.