Our League Went 52/300 and Players are Not Happy

CK77

Starting Player
Our Rec league Season started this week and over the first few nights of games, we have had plenty of complaints about the new ASA Softball we started using this year. It's the 52/300 ASA Dudley Hycon, which I read was supposed to be one of good ones to use. We had been using the 44/375 for quite a few years.

Lots of talk about how dead the balls are now every night and we all see the difference in performance. So far in the first 3 nights, there have been no Home runs and the games are definitely lower scoring. Game temps have been in the mid 50's to mid 60's, so heat is not affecting the performance.

Our Rec league supplies the bats for the Men's Composite league and we are still using the ASA Miken bats, the FX-700 from last year from when we were using the 44/375 balls.

Could the bat be the problem?

How have your Rec league players reacted going to the 52/300 ball for the first time?

Have you had any issues going to the 52/300 balls that made you switch back to another ball?

It just seems strange that if the ASA is going to make this ball, the sanctioned softball going forward, there would be more juice to the ball.

Psycho

Addicted to Softballfans
LOL!!! HAHAHAHAHA!! It's not the bat at all. I have been hitting them for 3.5yrs now. I know how they feel. Makes me feel good to hear people say this. The 52/300's are here to stay bro.

herts9

SEMI-RETIRED LEGEND
i like the ball. players that can hit homeruns with 44/375's should be able to hit those good 52/300's out.

it's never the bats fault.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
We went with the Tattoos and everyone is happy with them and they seem to really fly so far.

Ferrari1

Addicted to Softballfans
alot of egos being hurt? not as many league heros hittin BOMBS!!!!!

-Shows who are the true hitters an who arnt!

Ferrari1

Addicted to Softballfans
I LOVE IT!!!!! LMAO!!!! blame it on the bat right away! "****, it cant be my fault! I smash balls"

Pretty

Softball is cool
We were using the old 40 cor ball and switched, I hit the 52 just as far as the 40 or the occasional 44 I have hit in the past. It is not the bat or balls fault.

Psycho

Addicted to Softballfans
I LOVE to see these types of post/comments when people make the switch over to the 52/300's or 52/275's, it makes me LOL real hard!

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Lols, complaining about hycons in 50-60 degrees, try worth 52's in the 90's. The new balls aren't as affected by temperature changes but you have about the best you can get which is still an excellent combo.

Dudley, Tattoo, Apex, and Evil all make quality 52's. Looking forward to Apex getting their 52 ASA certified, the NSA is working great so far.

dponder

Addicted to Softballfans
It's not the bat man. At the risk of sounding mean, you don't have any powers hitters in your league if nobody can hit that ball out. Those things fly well.

XFactor01

Addicted to Softballfans
Weird... I was just looking up BP balls today and may pick up Evil 52 balls. Read nothing but rave reviews how they fly.

Indeed no power in your league then...

Psycho

Addicted to Softballfans
The 52/300's and 52/275's to the public that doesn't understand Cor/Comp they automatically sound like they are "hard as a rock" to most. But that is deff not the case at all.

JPritch

Addicted to Softballfans
I FINALLY got the chance to hit one the other night. My body of reference is only 4 AB's, so I will reserve judgement until this weekend at BP where I will give it a true test. They do sound like hitting a pillow though.

What do you all think: is a new 52/300>beat up 44/375 bp ball, or vice versa?

gaternation

Addicted to Softballfans
There's nothing to say about the two different balls. Regrettably the 52/275 ball is not going anywhere and in all likely hood be the standard in most leagues. It is like hitting a pillow and we're all stuck with it.

doG

dabz
They fly the same for me if I spin them. I noticed when I hit the ball square, or hit a sharp grounder in the hole they dont exit the infield as quickly though. Overall not a huge drop off.

To the OP...I wont say it is the bat, but the 2014 ASA ONLY bats do hit those balls better. They are better than last years bats with any ball.

itheshow

Addicted to Softballfans
You have to cut the ball and get good backspin to make the .52 fly and those hard knuckes that used to go 305 will now be landing around 270. It really shows any of the flaws in your hitting mechanics. Now since we have been hitting the .52's for over a year when I do get to hit a harder ball asa 44/375 they fllllyyyyy now that I cut the ball better.

strength

Extra Hitter
you guys think to much. A power hitter can hit anything out.

We've been using 52/300 usssa hycon's for the past several years. They hit great. I honestly can't tell the difference between a a 52/300 and a 44/375. They feel a little lighter that's about it.

Psycho

Addicted to Softballfans
You have to cut the ball and get good backspin to make the .52 fly and those hard knuckes that used to go 305 will now be landing around 270. It really shows any of the flaws in your hitting mechanics. Now since we have been hitting the .52's for over a year when I do get to hit a harder ball asa 44/375 they fllllyyyyy now that I cut the ball better.

Good description of how the 52's make a player become a better hitter.

Kramit

I hit about 5 homers a season. Last game was my first with the 52/275 and i hit two off the fence with the wind blowing in. Sure if i would have been using TA's they probably would have gone 320-330 but the balls still go when you hit them.

Pretty

Softball is cool
you guys think to much. A power hitter can hit anything out.

We've been using 52/300 usssa hycon's for the past several years. They hit great. I honestly can't tell the difference between a a 52/300 and a 44/375. They feel a little lighter that's about it.

I agree with this. I by no means cut the ball and my B3 w/ the 52 hits equal to if not better than my OG Flex/SY98 vs the older balls. I have been known to hit a few out of the park. Rec League All Star.

murc

Thinking about moving to wherevere this league is so I can be considered the second coming.

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
I've often dreamed of playing in a cooler climate where games aren't in the >90's.

How's that NRG treating you?