ASA Out or foul ball

rdnewmanaz

Batter swings hits ball that lands in batters box at the feet of batter. The batter reaches down and touches ball. Batter was called out. Ump claimed that the ball was in fair territory, so batter was out. Batter and ball were in the box. Is this the correct call or should have been a foul ball?

J Blizzard

Addicted to Softballfans
The batters box consists of "fair and "foul" territiory. the foul lines go from the rear corner of homeplate. Therfore, the entire plate is also fair.
if the ball was indeed in "fair" territory inside the lines of the batters box, and the batter picked it up, he interfered with a love batted ball and he is out

MaverickAH

Pretty easy to determine even if there are no lines drawn...........
  1. Home plate is entirely in fair territory.
  2. Draw an imaginary line from the back point of home plate to the outside edge of the 1B & 3B bags. If the ball was either on or inside of said imaginary line, it's a fair ball.

Joker

Ls5iCkE.jpg

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
If he would have unintentionally kicked it with his feet while he was starting to run to first I would have a foul ball. Since he intentionally interfered with a live batted fair ball I'm calling him out.

vipvanilla

Addicted to Softballfans
I probably have him out as well, based on where the ball landed in the box. But as mentioned, intentional touching of the ball, in fair territory, batter out.

RNRPLZ

The batters box is 7 feet long by 3 feet wide 6 inches from the plate. Which as noted in earlier replies describes the fair line coming from the rear point of the plate down to first and third base. If where the batter touched the balll, not the ball touching the batter. That is two totally different calls. Offensive interference. Batter is out. If it was clearly a foul ball resume strike count, play ball.

LIKEUCM

This is a judgement call. If the ball was fair and the player picked it up, you have interference that prevented the defense from the ability to make a play. Call the Batter/Runner out and return all runners that may have been on base to where they were prior to the pitch. This is very different than a situation where a batted ball contacts a Batter/Runner in the box. In that situation, you declare a dead ball foul.