Any Over running first base

mikeb424

This senerio happened in a girls fastpitch 10 - 12 yr old league. Runner on third with two outs. The batter takes ball four and heads to first. Catcher returns the ball to the pitcher who then throws the ball to first before the runner touches the bag. The batter who walked runs past the bag, about 2 steps, and turns back to the bag. The first base girl tags her with the ball before she steps back on the bag. Is the batter out?

lb16

the natural
answer

Unless she attempted to go to 2nd no. And it does not matter which way she turned walking back to 1st.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
And before you ask ;)

It is the umpire's judgement on if she made an attempt to advance to second.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Any batter-runner is entitled to overrun first base without liablility to be tagged out. A walk is no different than on a base hit.

So long as the batter-runner makes no attempt to advance toward second base and returns immediately to first, she can't be tagged out.

mikeb424

Thanks to Everyone who replied. I posted this Senerio because in the real life situation, the umpire ruled the batter "Out" stating she ran passed the base on a walk and the batter is not supposed to run past first on a walk.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Of all the many different baseball and softball sanctioning bodies I'm familiar with, there is actually one that says you can be tagged out after overrunning first base on a walk. That single one is high school baseball (NFHS rules).

It's a strange interpretation, but it's not an unheard of interpretation. Maybe this umpire also works high school baseball and picked it up there. Or, maybe he just flat out blew it!

Well I had a guy get called out on a tag for over running first base yesterday. When I asked the umpire why he called him out his response was "when he crossed first base be was aimed towards second." WTF does that mean?

Duriisimo

Aguilucho
Thanks to Everyone who replied. I posted this Senerio because in the real life situation, the umpire ruled the batter "Out" stating she ran passed the base on a walk and the batter is not supposed to run past first on a walk.

good call by the ump............

Duriisimo

Aguilucho
Found this(applies to baseball)

that a batter-runner may NOT over-walk first base. The interpretation is that a base-on-balls is an awarded base under ML rules. The protection ends when the batter-runner reaches the awarded base (1st).

This rule is specifically TRUE in NFHS Rulebook. A base-on-balls is considered a live-ball base award and therefore the runner is protected to the base(s) awarded and no further. If they run through the base, they are at-risk once they've touched the awarded base.