Overlap grip & mechanics

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
I decided to give the overlap grip a try off the tee the other day. My goal wasn't to add distance, but rather to alter my mechanics in a positive way. I found that by using the overlap grip, I was forced to lead w/ my hands and reduce the casting. This of course had the positive side effect of added distance.
There were definitely some bumps (and new blisters) in the process, but I think it will work out well. I think the biggest adjustments will be hitting the ball so much earlier, and because of that, the higher pitches. I'll have to spend a lot of time working on those.

In everyone's experience, what are the hardest adjustments that you need to make?

EightSeven

Addicted to Softballfans
Hitting to the oppo field is difficult w/overlap. Also, I suggest getting Mechanix padded palm gloves for BP w/overlap grip. Once I got used to the overlap grip, it added 20-30ft distance:D

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
Hitting to the oppo field is difficult w/overlap. Also, I suggest getting Mechanix padded palm gloves for BP w/overlap grip. Once I got used to the overlap grip, it added 20-30ft distance:D

I do use the mechanix gloves and they didn't help. I took about 60 swings and ended up w/ a blister on my palm and one on the joint between my hand and 1st finger - that's the bad one. I wonder if the knobcuff is to blame for that. That's right where the knobcuff meets the handle.

crdawg2521

PowerTek Performance Apparel & Lizard Skins Rep.
I do use the mechanix gloves and they didn't help. I took about 60 swings and ended up w/ a blister on my palm and one on the joint between my hand and 1st finger - that's the bad one. I wonder if the knobcuff is to blame for that. That's right where the knobcuff meets the handle.

I didn't get one in my palm but on my index finger on the bottom hand. I had to tape it a few times so I could have another round of BP. It has since healed but it was pretty nasty.

I still put a piece of tape on that part because it tends get a little sore with my "girly" hands :D

On that note, I agree in that the overlap changed my swing for the better and eliminate the slight casting I had in my swing. I still need to take more BP going oppo with the overlap though. If I'm going up there thinking oppo I currently go back to conventional grip for the time being.

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
I didn't get one in my palm but on my index finger on the bottom hand. I had to tape it a few times so I could have another round of BP. It has since healed but it was pretty nasty.

I still put a piece of tape on that part because it tends get a little sore with my "girly" hands :D

On that note, I agree in that the overlap changed my swing for the better and eliminate the slight casting I had in my swing. I still need to take more BP going oppo with the overlap though. If I'm going up there thinking oppo I currently go back to conventional grip for the time being.

Yeah, I get blisters very easily. I always use tape and/or newskin on my thumb just in case. Apparently I need to add another spot or 2.
I had more than a slight casting problem for a long time. It was hard to break the bad habit, and jumping to the overlap seems to help in that regard. I hope I don't have a problem going oppo because I prefer to spread the ball around.

I decided to give the overlap grip a try off the tee the other day. My goal wasn't to add distance, but rather to alter my mechanics in a positive way. I found that by using the overlap grip, I was forced to lead w/ my hands and reduce the casting. This of course had the positive side effect of added distance.
There were definitely some bumps (and new blisters) in the process, but I think it will work out well. I think the biggest adjustments will be hitting the ball so much earlier, and because of that, the higher pitches. I'll have to spend a lot of time working on those.

In everyone's experience, what are the hardest adjustments that you need to make?

yep mech gloves help with the extra padding they have.it ,took over 500 swings off a tee(worked over the winter a few years back, to get used to it) to get the feel of it.mine is a modified one tho,drop 1 finger down,with one finger overlap with top hand.
i never have a prol going oppo with this grip,just need to pick the right pitch...

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
yep mech gloves help with the extra padding they have.it ,took over 500 swings off a tee(worked over the winter a few years back, to get used to it) to get the feel of it.mine is a modified one tho,drop 1 finger down,with one finger overlap with top hand.
i never have a prol going oppo with this grip,just need to pick the right pitch...

I'm doing something a little different than what you're describing. I drop 1-2 fingers and it's a complete overlap. Basically I grab the bat with my left (bottom) hand like I normally would, but my top hand is basically positioned to push my bottom hand towards the knob (basically perpendicular to my bottom hand). I'll try to take pictures when I get a chance so someone can let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

murc

I'm doing something a little different than what you're describing. I drop 1-2 fingers and it's a complete overlap. Basically I grab the bat with my left (bottom) hand like I normally would, but my top hand is basically positioned to push my bottom hand towards the knob (basically perpendicular to my bottom hand). I'll try to take pictures when I get a chance so someone can let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

You got it right. Some of us just use the Todd Graham overlap..

The pic on the right..
http://www.swingmechanics.com/preswing.php

Swilldog

Everyone loves bombs!
Timing is number one as far as hardest adjustment but if you are not trying to gain distance there really is no reason to switch up. You give up control with the overlap atleast for the first year. Also if you do change understand with a overlap you are letting the bat do the work by extending it out further from your hands. In saying this try not to squeeze the bat but more of trying to figure out a smoother swing.

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
Timing is number one as far as hardest adjustment but if you are not trying to gain distance there really is no reason to switch up. You give up control with the overlap atleast for the first year. Also if you do change understand with a overlap you are letting the bat do the work by extending it out further from your hands. In saying this try not to squeeze the bat but more of trying to figure out a smoother swing.

Don't get me wrong, I can definitely use the extra distance. It just wasn't the primary motivation. My primary goal was to fix my casting problem. I seems harder to cast using this grip because the top hand is perpendicular to the bottom - there's only one way to go...forward.

you are doing a complete overlap,i tried but could never get used to it.my pull thru should has had rotator cuff surgery(complete tear of it) and i'm afraid to do a let go of the top hand like your supposed to in the overlap(and even in my normal swing).i have been told that i sometimes stop my swing just after contact of the ball,wish i could get that fixed.now i do let go some times and do like the results,but it just getting to trust that my shoulder is GTG for it.

oh by the way,where is ardsley at,i have family that live on the border in mass,where ct,ny,ma meet.