LTB Pancake glove

Lemond

Thinking about getting a training mitt for the kiddos.

Rawlings has their "Great Hands" version for on sale $32 on line, then they jump up to a HOH version for $150.

The GH version looks really cheap, and if I'm going to spend $150 and get in trouble for it, I'm thinking I'm getting another glove.

So, does anyone have any other suggestions/thoughts?

Thank you!!

Lemond

So, any ideas between the Rawlings great hands that may or may not be leather for $32 and the Horween or HOH? There's an Akadema on Amazon for $40 that looks ever so slightly better than the great hands, and a Mizuno GXTSA for $45. The Mizuno looks OK ish.

Goal is something I can use a few times over the next 2-3 years as the kids will not likely let me do much more than that. So, don't need it to last a lifetime (although I like that idea, DW has different ideas). Budget, less than $75. Used is OK.

Lemond

Ended up getting the PBPTPan29 for ~$35 +tax. It's definitely not Horween, but it will suffice. Cheap bats had it here in less than 48 hrs! I'm guessing that I'll be able to get the kids to use it for all of about 2-4 hours per kid per career. They already gave me the stink eye when I unwrapped it with a big smile on my face!

upload_2020-3-27_17-20-46.pngupload_2020-3-27_17-21-18.pngupload_2020-3-27_17-21-50.png

Thank you to all, especially @ANNASDAD who helped me go through the selection process! Not buying a horween trainer may allow me to buy a new glove in the future. Maybe something in a nice oxblood color @MaverickAH ;)

@Chocomochi23 - I'd still like to see some pix of the Sacco you had. I had never heard of that company before!

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
They already gave me the stink eye when I unwrapped it with a big smile on my face!
I used to get a lot of sideways looks from my entire infield because of these trainers! But, when used correctly man do they work!

That looks like one thick trainer, you should be able to hit some rockets to the kiddos! :D

Lemond

I used to get a lot of sideways looks from my entire infield because of these trainers! But, when used correctly man do they work!

That looks like one thick trainer, you should be able to hit some rockets to the kiddos! :D
This is the reason I shied away from the Valle KK. I thought the kids would feel it as a glorified batting glove.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Got any specific advice or drills for using it? I love gadgets, but HATE using them incorrectly!

What age kids? I know we both post over at DFP, so is this for a FP team (your team) or are you working with just your own children?

Of course you know you can’t backhand or go hard glove side with these trainers, so just know that right off. And if you’re doing full infield practice with these and throwing to 1B, just have your 1B wear her regular glove, it’ll save you time and frustration, you can work with her and the trainer individually later.

Where we got the very most out of the trainers besides the obvious was perfecting footwork, getting into the best possible position to field the ball. To beat the ball to the spot where it was best to field it and be in an athletic position.

On slow hit balls it enforced circling behind the ball so it could be centered and squared up below the chin, remember....... you can’t close these trainers, and trust me, they’ll lose focus and try, these trainers reinforce using the throwing hand to trap and transfer the ball, and the kids can’t cheat! These trainers don’t lie!

On harder hit balls, they really reinforce getting low and really engaging their legs.....legs bent, butt down low, and fielding the ball way out front, NOT between the legs, out front!!
Tell your kids when they field a ball, you want to see the button on the top of their cap, you don’t want to see their face, that make sense?

Remember, for us these trainers were primarily used for two years in 12U, a team me and a guy I go to church with started, once 12U ended, Anna and another girl were the only two who wanted to move on to a bigger organization outside of our town, Anna ended up playing for a organization that had several National teams, rest is history but I don’t think she ever used those trainers again which was a shame, they work, or they worked for us!

Some of those practices in those early years turned into pissing matches! We’d start infield practice and they’d look so unfocused and like they had a backpack full of bricks strapped to their backs........three words.........SHORT HOP DRILL!! Let the tears start!

We'd split them into two groups, put them in front of each dugout and throw short hops to them, for how long and how hard was completely up to them! Oh the tears! But you know what, that one drill, which they ALL thought was punishment, and that us two coaches were mean, that one drill taught those girls how to field a ground ball and to not be afraid of short hops, and that one mean drill was instrumental early on in getting my daughter recruited to play college ball! That little 12U church / rec team won an ASA World Series their first year together in travel ball, which under the circumstances still today makes me prouder than me and Anna winning a State Championship together in high school, silly I know!

Sorry so long winded, must have slept good. Hope this helped!

Last edited:

Lemond

What age kids? I know we both post over at DFP, so is this for a FP team (your team) or are you working with just your own children?

Yes, for FP and DS in LL. LOL, I've been going back and forth so much between the two sites, that I was thinking this was in the DFP site.

Of course you know you can’t backhand or go hard glove side with these trainers, so just know that right off. And if you’re doing full infield practice with these and throwing to 1B, just have your 1B wear her regular glove, it’ll save you time and frustration, you can work with her and the trainer individually later.
Since I only bought one, that should be an easy choice. haha

On slow hit balls it enforced circling behind the ball so it could be centered and squared up below the chin, remember....... you can’t close these trainers, and trust me, they’ll lose focus and try, these trainers reinforce using the throwing hand to trap and transfer the ball, and the kids can’t cheat! These trainers don’t lie!

Yeah, I already tried. It's oddly frustrating not being able to close it. Almost like having a cast on!

On harder hit balls, they really reinforce getting low and really engaging their legs.....legs bent, butt down low, and fielding the ball way out front, NOT between the legs, out front!!
Tell your kids when they field a ball, you want to see the button on the top of their cap, you don’t want to see their face, that make sense?

Watching those Kai videos was a very good lesson on seeing the head go down, as well.

Remember, for us these trainers were primarily used for two years in 12U, a team me and a guy I go to church with started, once 12U ended, Anna and another girl were the only two who wanted to move on to a bigger organization outside of our town, Anna ended up playing for a organization that had several National teams, rest is history but I don’t think she ever used those trainers again which was a shame, they work, or they worked for us!

Yeah, I'm a little late in the game for DD, but right on for DS. Hoping I can get in even a few hours of work with each of them to get some benefit. It's going to be a fight.

Some of those practices in those early years turned into pissing matches! We’d start infield practice and they’d look so unfocused and like they had a backpack full of bricks strapped to their backs........three words.........SHORT HOP DRILL!! Let the tears start!

We'd split them into two groups, put them in front of each dugout and throw short hops to them, for how long and how hard was completely up to them! Oh the tears! But you know what, that one drill, which they ALL thought was punishment, and that us two coaches were mean, that one drill taught those girls how to field a ground ball and to not be afraid of short hops, and that one mean drill was instrumental early on in getting my daughter recruited to play college ball! That little 12U church / rec team won an ASA World Series their first year together in travel ball, which under the circumstances still today makes me prouder than us winning us winning a State Championship in high school, silly I know!

Sorry so long winded, must have slept good. Hope this helped!
LOL! I got some good sleep last night, too! Must have been the wine!

That's amazing that you took a church rec team that far! Here, the ONLY league we have is our community rec league. Very different feel to the sport than what I read on line. One of our kids' dads just took a transfer to TX where she joined the local rec league in an area where FP is huge. She was easily the #1 or 2 player in the her age group, where here she more toward the middle. Everyone there told her she needed to be in the TB league, but she didn't want it.

Apparently, my coffee was also good. Time to stop typing! Thanks as always for great help!

With your permission, maybe I'll cut/paste and drop parts of this thread over in DFP for some others to enjoy.