Pay Pal as a gift... what you don't know...

bryanvw61

Addicted to Softballfans
I was just talking to my friend who operates an online store and we were talking about how they use Pay Pal as their credit card processor. He was saying that recently he's seen a bunch of credit card purchases denied, not by the creditor, but by Pay Pal as the processor. It seems that they won't process cards at their merchants of those whose accounts are not in good standing, and one of those conditions was too many Pay Pal as a gift transactions.

Just another reason why Pay Pal as a gift, might not be such a good idea...

By the way, we won again last night and as Lou Brown said "Now we're contenders"

Stratt

to many bats
You don't understand, I could have had class, I could have been a contender, I could have been somebody, instead of a bum, it's what I am, lets face it.

ser7643

Every day I'm Shuffilin!
If you are worried about getting charged a fee then add the fee in the sales price and suddenly it's not an issue any more! Also protects all involved.

BRAIN

Rookie
If you are worried about getting charged a fee then add the fee in the sales price and suddenly it's not an issue any more! Also protects all involved.

Somehow I think people are less likely to buy an item when they see the "add 3% for PP fees" in the ad. Even though they are paying that 3% when they send as a gift. It is a mind game. :D

ser7643

Every day I'm Shuffilin!
Somehow I think people are less likely to buy an item when they see the "add 3% for PP fees" in the ad. Even though they are paying that 3% when they send as a gift. It is a mind game. :D

I meant instead of selling a bat for $165 sell it for $170 (not saying "add 3% for PP Fees). Include it in the price and use PayPal the way it was meant to be, which protects all involved. Unless someone has something to hide.....:confused: (not refering to you BRAIN)

ohmsy

SwingLevelRunLikeTheDevil
I meant instead of selling a bat for $165 sell it for $170 (not saying "add 3% for PP Fees). Include it in the price and use PayPal the way it was meant to be, which protects all involved. Unless someone has something to hide.....:confused: (not refering to you BRAIN)

then the person offers you $150 for it and you say $160 if you send as gift :D

AJ22

Super Moderator

When making a deal -

I wasn't worried about making the deal. Why would I be worried if paying as a gift ? Just a thought ....

But yes, I do see the point and the added protection.

Empire

Shave Balls Not Bats
it makes sense, but I think you have to be sending more then a couple bats a month, just my opinion as I have no facts whatsoever to back me up.

NotoriousSports

<font color="Red">Banned User</font>
An online retailer receiving payments as a gift would raise a red flag with PayPal since the account is a merchant account.

bryanvw61

Addicted to Softballfans
Where is the info we didn't know? This is old news.

Everyone knows the lost ability to make a claim when sent as a gift...

What I'm saying is that I was told from my friend who owns the business that Pay Pal is looking at people that are abusing the "gift" option and not letting them process credit cards through them.

This means you go down to the local speed shop who uses pay pal as a merchant, you try to buy some new 5100 series shocks and you get denied, not by Visa Chase, but by Pay Pal as the processor.

So the moral of the story is, paying as a gift when someone is GTG saves 3% or basically the cost of insuring the transaction. Doing this a few times a month probably won't hurt anybody, but if you do it a few times a week here and on some other sites or craigslist, it's possible you'll run into a problem.

bryanvw61

Addicted to Softballfans
An online retailer receiving payments as a gift would raise a red flag with PayPal since the account is a merchant account.

They have a store front too, they aren't receiving pay pal as a gift, people who constantly are abusing the gift option are coming into the store and having their cards denied.