Payment for items

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich4863

Combat Ho
I wasn't sure where to paste this & I'm sure its a controversial subject for some but one that's happened quite a bit on here for sure.

Heres the issue: A person lists a bat for sale at a certain price, lets say $140 shipped or best offer. Another person responds to the other persons listing & offers $125. First person agrees to take $125 shipped. Second person paypals $125 shipped for the bat. After payment is sent, seller says he wanted payment made by gift so as to not pay the fees. Buyer tells the seller, that the 125 is the final price as any fees charged by paypal should be deducted from the purchase price. The sellers post never made any mention about paying by gift. Buyer & seller hit a stalemate. Buyer doesn't think he should have to pay the fees & accept responsibility should something happen. Seller feels he shouldn't have to pay the fee. Who is right?

Ill post what happened after

tjhjr56

Addicted to Softballfans
This has happened too me and i just paid the extra fee and moved on. Lesson for me was to change what I have control over. After he excepts your 125.00 price. Return a pm with all the details listed including how you intend to pay, how he intends to ship, with or with out insurance and so on. Both party have a chance to accept or reject to deal!

My .02 cents

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
The historical standard has been price PP as goods unless otherwise specified. But recent years, lots of yokels trying to say the standard is FF unless agreed as goods.

Bottom line, it is best to clarify during offer..."Would you take $125 shipped as goods"? Either side you are on as buyer/seller, put that extra wording in with negotiations especially if they don't so that if there is hiccup, the contract has been set. Hopefully it just makes everything crystal and any issues can be worked out before pp sent.

My .00000000000002 pesos.

bird25

34/30 Club #25
The historical standard has been price PP as goods unless otherwise specified. But recent years, lots of yokels trying to say the standard is FF unless agreed as goods.

Bottom line, it is best to clarify during offer..."Would you take $125 shipped as goods"? Either side you are on as buyer/seller, put that extra wording in with negotiations especially if they don't so that if there is hiccup, the contract has been set. Hopefully it just makes everything crystal and any issues can be worked out before pp sent.

My .00000000000002 pesos.

This. .

Rich4863

Combat Ho
This is what I thought

Well there was a stalemate. I said that I am ready to walk away from this as I shouldn't be buying anything else anyway. I requested my $ back several times & the seller just seemed to gloss over that & kept insisting that I pay. I suggested that I would pay 1/2 of the fees to compromise & that person was still adamant about receiving all the fees. After awhile I guess we just wore each other out and agreed on the 1/2 fees. To me, its basically adding on to the final price of the item. It should be deducted from the sellers agreed upon price as a cost of doing business (conducting a sale)
But just to confirm, if a person states a price, it should be paid for by goods & not F & F. Oh & best to specify exact terms to be clear.

Rich4863

Combat Ho
Because I stuck to my guns about offering a certain amount & the seller attempted to change the terms which I didn't agree to do. Yes I know its a matter of $4, but I was willing to walk away from the deal. And to some people its a big deal.

My reason for starting this thread was to find what the proper method of paying is. Either paying by GS or FF. Apparently the right way is GS unless its clearly stated.

Last edited:

SBG SHREK

Coach
I personally pay the amount me and the seller agree on. I cover the fees or send as gift. I don't need the seller telling me.

tjsully47

He hates these cans !!
I personally pay the amount me and the seller agree on. I cover the fees or send as gift. I don't need the seller telling me.

I agree with this ^ I don't believe the seller should have to pay the fees out of his advertised price . The fees are basically buyer insurance. The seller is taking the risk . If the bat disappears in the mail the buyer can put in a paypal claim while the seller is sol except for the 50ins the PO offers. So why should the seller pay for the buyers insurance ?

In my threads I specify buyer covers fees as goods . Personally when buying on here I choose to use my gut and judge the feedback . If I feel comfortable I'll send as FF if I don't I'll add the fees but that's on me if it goes south and I understand that .

jhsfive

Outstanding Mutha****er
I agree w shrek... That being said... Rich, you and the seller are splitting hairs. Imo, ur being a tad petty but the seller should learn his lesson and just take what u gave him and complete the deal without further cash.

As a self proclaimed ambassador of this board, thought processes like what u and the seller are displaying are what's hurting this board as of late.

To further prove my point, you posted this in the selling section.... But I digress.

Last edited:

Rich4863

Combat Ho
I don't disagree with it being petty however, I just wanted to know the typical way it should be handled/assumed when a person makes an offer.
If person a is asking 140 & I counter with 125 does that give the seller right after payment to then say, oh I want to be paid Friends & Family which increases the amount about $5 over what the buyer offered?. That method of payment is not what its intended for & its bypassing the system, plus if the bat is lost in transit, paypal will not reimburse if the bat is lost. I posted here in the selling section because there was no other appropriate place else to post. But I took into consideration that the seller probably did things the other which is why I offered to split the difference, which I thought was being plenty fair. Terms were not stated before, so I offered to undo the deal if the stated conditions weren't met. Again, I believed I was being fair. Seller did not want to return my $, so we hit stalemate. If there was no meeting of the minds then my funds should have been returned & we both are on our merry way. Again, I agree it was made bigger then it should because we both were stubborn & both assumed certain payment terms. Its over & done now. And as far as hurting this board, there are far more pressing issues that are hurting the board. If a person cant ask an opinion of his fellow softball peers then there really are much bigger issues, imo.

GreenRun1

Addicted to Softballfans
I have been on here for awhile now. in all my deals F/F is the normal payment.. Thats why new guys have to ship first until feedback is trust worthy enough to have payment sent first through F/F .. So if the seller had 125 in mind as a final sale price me as a seller would think I was getting 125 at the end. I also do say in the final PM Please send F/F or pay fees just to make sure buyer understands I am not paying fees..

Chris85

Manager
To be fair a lot of people have have adjusted their selling terminology for this reason. The sellers post should have stated $125 F&F / shipped & insured or seller covers PP fees if sent as goods. Also as the purchaser you could have just shot over a text or pm stating how you were sending the funds to make sure that was ok before any money exchanged hands. Everyone learns from their deals and it has gone as far as people not accepting F&F payments anymore and strictly doing the deal for payment as goods only.

addicted2bats

You offered less than asking price (which everyone does 100% of the time and it drives me nuts), he is willing to accept less than asking, and you want him to eat the fees I top of that? Shame on you.....

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Seller should be clear on how he /she wants payment sent, if I don't see (as f/f) I'm not going to assume seller want payment as such..
Yes both sides can/should be sure they are on same page prior to sending/receiving $$...
Imo it never has been a given that payment should be sent as f/f if nothing at all is stated, in fact i am thinking the opposite...

pears

Addicted to Softballfans
I personally avoid the option of F/F and do all my deals as goods. Ill foot the extra couple bucks for the piece of mind

Chris85

Manager
Seller should be clear on how he /she wants payment sent, if I don't see (as f/f) I'm not going to assume seller want payment as such..
Yes both sides can/should be sure they are on same page prior to sending/receiving $$...
Imo it never has been a given that payment should be sent as f/f if nothing at all is stated, in fact i am thinking the opposite...

But that being said you know he wanted $125. why send him $125 which he has to pay the fees on. I guess his frustration stemmed from him wanting $145 you offered him $125 he accepted then you hit him with the fees.

bird25

34/30 Club #25

Standard practice back in the day was that all bats were priced to include fees and shipping.

If someone is offering less then they should be clear about what they are offering, If I want the bat and the seller says they want it as friends and family I typically ask if it ok to send as a purchase and I cover the fees. I have actually walked away if that is not acceptable . Also when I sell something I always ask for payment as goods so I can use PayPal shipping and there is no issue with the address or tracking.

FauxTH

GO CUBS GO
I personally have everything sent to me as gift or buyer pays the fees because when i ship i always over insure the item so if lost or exc. which can be pricey sometimes up to around $30 and I can refund the buyer and cover the price of the item replaced to me.

MR.PISSILE

Addicted to Softballfans
You must have really didnt need or want the bat as bad as you thought... i wouldnt let $4 separate or come between me from my SWEETIE...

beernbombs

Abby's dad

Well there was a stalemate. I said that I am ready to walk away from this as I shouldn't be buying anything else anyway. I requested my $ back several times & the seller just seemed to gloss over that & kept insisting that I pay. I suggested that I would pay 1/2 of the fees to compromise & that person was still adamant about receiving all the fees. After awhile I guess we just wore each other out and agreed on the 1/2 fees. To me, its basically adding on to the final price of the item. It should be deducted from the sellers agreed upon price as a cost of doing business (conducting a sale)
But just to confirm, if a person states a price, it should be paid for by goods & not F & F. Oh & best to specify exact terms to be clear.

This is NGTG imo. Seller changed terms of sale after payment and then held your payment hostage.

Seller is responsible for clarifying all terms of sale. Price plus any fees, method of payment, shipping details (insured?, delivery or sig confirmation? Carrier) all should be stated by seller in OP. If not in OP, then before payment is accepted.

killer mike

Addicted to Softballfans
This is NGTG imo. Seller changed terms of sale after payment and then held your payment hostage.

Seller is responsible for clarifying all terms of sale. Price plus any fees, method of payment, shipping details (insured?, delivery or sig confirmation? Carrier) all should be stated by seller in OP. If not in OP, then before payment is accepted.

My only guess as to why seller is holding the payment hostage is because he already spent it on something else and doesn't have the funds :eek:

stillballin

The Veteran
this...

Standard practice back in the day was that all bats were priced to include fees and shipping.

If someone is offering less then they should be clear about what they are offering, If I want the bat and the seller says they want it as friends and family I typically ask if it ok to send as a purchase and I cover the fees. I have actually walked away if that is not acceptable . Also when I sell something I always ask for payment as goods so I can use PayPal shipping and there is no issue with the address or tracking.

and this...

http://forums.softballfans.com/showthread.php?t=461525

If the seller does not want to undo the deal or accept the payment and ship the bat... start a claim... reason why you paid as goods... shouldn't have to pay anymore...

rimmedup91z28

Star Player
If you don't state in OP or before payment being received, how you'd expect the payment to come, then you are stuck with how the buyer sends the $. Everything should be clear before hand, if not stated, then nothing should be assumed by either party.

Rich4863

Combat Ho
I started this thread because I thought it was a legitimate issue. Not over the $4 or $5. It almost seems like the vote is split on this now. I guess the best thing in the future would be to either go above and beyond or be clear as to how I want to pay. I will say this much if the roles were reversed, I most definitely as a seller would eat the fees. In fact that's I do things, its a cost to do business or do the deal, but to each his own.

Rich4863

Combat Ho
I'm going to delete this thread. I am going to reimburse the additional fees, but not because I believe I'm wrong, I just don't want hard feelings from the seller.

Status
Not open for further replies.