ASA pegged the on deck batter

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
runners on first and second. batter hits a ball to LF. The runner from second stops at 3B. The throw from the LF is just out of reach of the 3B and hits the on deck batter who is in the field of play.

The umpire ruled that the runner closest to home is out. It went as far as calling the UIC who agreed with the ruling.

thoughts?

could I just go around pegging the base coaches and on deck guys to get outs?

bd22_pub

BBAT #16
Why would the on deck batter be "in the field of play" do you mean the on deck batter was in fair territory? If a throw hits the on deck batter, no matter if they are in the on deck circle or near the plate directing the base runner, it should still be a live ball.. I don't know why the runner closest to home would be out? Jmo

crdizzle6288

Addicted to Softballfans
i know if the ball hits the other teams bat, it is interference and closest runner to home is out. im sure its the same as a player getting hit and being interference. im also curious if this a correct call or not? not many times do you see the on deck batter get hit with a throw..?

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
Why would the on deck batter be "in the field of play" do you mean the on deck batter was in fair territory? If a throw hits the on deck batter, no matter if they are in the on deck circle or near the plate directing the base runner, it should still be a live ball.. I don't know why the runner closest to home would be out? Jmo

in foul ground in front of the dugout.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
It depends. If it hits the on-deck batter, the ball is immediately dead, and runners return to the base(s) last touched. However, if the ball hitting the on-deck batter creates interference, then the runner being played upon is also called out.

If the throw is so far off the mark that it hits the on-deck batter at the fence, then it's unlikely that the defense would have been able to make a play on the runner. I'd have a tough time calling interference on that.

So no, you can't just peg the on-deck batter to get a free out. It's umpire's judgment as to whether or not the throw, had it not hit the on-deck batter, would have continued on and allowed the defense to get an out.

stang7222

Addicted to Softballfans
It depends. If it hits the on-deck batter, the ball is immediately dead, and runners return to the base(s) last touched. However, if the ball hitting the on-deck batter creates interference, then the runner being played upon is also called out.

If the throw is so far off the mark that it hits the on-deck batter at the fence, then it's unlikely that the defense would have been able to make a play on the runner. I'd have a tough time calling interference on that.

So no, you can't just peg the on-deck batter to get a free out. It's umpire's judgment as to whether or not the throw, had it not hit the on-deck batter, would have continued on and allowed the defense to get an out.

the throw was directly over the bag (about 8' over the bag), the runner that stopped at 3rd had rounded the bag but i doubt he was making any attempt at scoring. There were a lot of bodies over there and my view of the field was totally opposite of the umpires.

SouthernOhioNSA

Addicted to Softballfans
Even though has no bearing on the ruling above, I just wanted to share a story that this post reminds me of.

Men's Class D NIT about 10 years ago. Good local team down 4-5 runs in the bottom of the 7th starts big rally and starts chipping away at the lead. HP ump has to warn the team about too many men coming out of the dugout because a wild throw coming back in just missed hitting one of them in the middle of a live ball. Team gets down to 1 run to tie and last batter gets on to second base with 2 outs. Next hitter drops one right in front of the right fielder and it looks like they are going to tie it up and maybe win it since the top of their order is coming back up. Dugout erupts and several guys come out getting excited. Throw coming in is way off the mark and bounces into a player standing near the on deck circle while the runner is about 2-3 steps away from home plate and stops right on the ground. Heads up pitcher trying to back the play up runs right into the same guy going for the ball. HP ump has no choice at that point but to call interference and calls the runner closest to home out which ends the game and puts this team out of the losers bracket. After they clear the dugout and then after having the coach call me everything but a man, I grab a rulebook to show him why his player was called out (The minute I saw her make the call, I started thumbing the book to mark the page in case asked) and he smacks it about 3 feet from my hand. I tell him that since we can't have a discussion like gentleman to come back when he cools off and I will be glad to explain the ruling again and walk away from the confrontation. He calms down and comes back a couple of games later apologizing, admitting he was wrong for slapping the book, and then we proceed to have a nice chat about the play and why it went down the way it did.

I have read this scenario and this story just keeps popping up so I thought I would share. :)

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
the throw was directly over the bag (about 8' over the bag), the runner that stopped at 3rd had rounded the bag but i doubt he was making any attempt at scoring. There were a lot of bodies over there and my view of the field was totally opposite of the umpires.

Well, it's umpire's judgment as to whether the ball striking the on-deck batter hindered the defense from making an out. If he'd rounded the bag far enough and a fielder was close enough to scoop the ball and return the throw, we'd have interference.

Bottom line is that yes, this is a plausible call, but we'd have to see it. And even then, it's still a matter of judgment. One umpire may say yes, another may say no, and both could be equally correct in their judgment.

Lesson of the day for on-deck batters - pay attention, and stay out of the way. :)

cjangeloni1986

Addicted to Softballfans
I always thought that on deck circles were meant just for these situation so that as long as they were in that circle and did not intentionally interfer with the play that the play would go on live, I assumed the same with a coaches box at third and first. On another note why are on deck batters so lazy no and days. I know when I am on deck I am ready to get the bat out of the way if I have people in scoring position and ump or catcher don't and also I am ready to tell my player if they need to slide or not at home. Not just standing there watching the play unfold. Just my honest opinion.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Well,

I always thought that on deck circles were meant just for these situation so that as long as they were in that circle and did not intentionally interfer with the play that the play would go on live, I assumed the same with a coaches box at third and first. On another note why are on deck batters so lazy no and days. I know when I am on deck I am ready to get the bat out of the way if I have people in scoring position and ump or catcher don't and also I am ready to tell my player if they need to slide or not at home. Not just standing there watching the play unfold. Just my honest opinion.

If you "always" thought that then you're always wrong. Even a coaches box at 1st and 3rd bases are not "havens" for the coach.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar

Since there were lots of bodies all over the place is it possible the out was called because the player who got hit with the ball was not the on deck batter. I'm pretty sure in USSSA if the ball strikes a player other than the on deck batter or base coach who is outside of the dugout the player closest to home plate is out. Not sure if this is also true in ASA.

Last edited:

SouthernOhioNSA

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't do much slow-pitch anymore but learned a long time ago to keep one close by at all times. I still do this today even in fast-pitch. There isn't a tournament that goes by where I don't thumb thru it at least 2-3 times a weekend. You can never know everything and I always want to be prepared if asked for my opinion on a play.

In the old days, guys would sit around on their down time and quiz one another on rules and scenarios. I used to learn more about officiating listening to those conversations than some rules clinics I have been to especially if it was some of our better umps doing the talking :)

crdizzle6288;15767684[B said:
]i know if the ball hits the other teams bat, it is interference and closest runner to home is out.[/B] im sure its the same as a player getting hit and being interference. im also curious if this a correct call or not? not many times do you see the on deck batter get hit with a throw..?

and why so :confused: bat is part of the field after the batter drops it and starts running,thus no interference.....

gotigersgo

Addicted to Softballfans
i know if the ball hits the other teams bat, it is interference and closest runner to home is out. im sure its the same as a player getting hit and being interference. im also curious if this a correct call or not? not many times do you see the on deck batter get hit with a throw..?

According to this made up rule, you can just grab the ball and throw it at the bat and get an out.

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
Coaches boxes were originally put by baseball (I know, not softball, but hear me out) to prevent coaches from running up and down the foul lines trying to distract the pitcher. I'm pretty sure it was Arlie Latham who was the epitome of this practice, back at the early part of the 20th century.

it is the on deck batter's responsibility to get the bat out of the way of play.
Responsibility, maybe. Required to, no.

pob14

Addicted to Softballfans
One million points to Hebrew Hacker for making a 100% correct and relevant Arlie Latham reference on a softball board.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
This thread should be named the "SBF Rulebook". It's like a combination kickball/dodgeball game.

Let's see, you can get an out by "pegging" the on deck batter, but you have to wait until he steps out of his circle to battle with the umpire over moving the discarded bat.

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
You beat me to that one. I will not touch the equipment, unless it is flying in my direction.

I guess it is pretty much a statement of ignorance.

I will say in HS or JO ball if a catchers helmet is at my feet, I might pick it up and hand it to her after the throw to 2nd at the start of an inning. I try not to do it even if it is one of my favorite catchers......but sometimes, I can't resist.....;)

This thread should be named the "SBF Rulebook". It's like a combination kickball/dodgeball game.

Let's see, you can get an out by "pegging" the on deck batter, but you have to wait until he steps out of his circle to battle with the umpire over moving the discarded bat.

Although......I do love Calvinball...........:D:cool:

Calvinball.jpg

Joel

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
and why so :confused: bat is part of the field after the batter drops it and starts running,thus no interference.....

I'm going to hope the poster is referring to a bat not used by the batter. I've had to remind a couple teams this year that the bats that aren't being used by the current batter or the on deck batter need to be inside the dugout.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
You beat me to that one. I will not touch the equipment, unless it is flying in my direction.

I guess it is pretty much a statement of ignorance.

Nope, definitely not on my list of things to do.

It is a definite gig on an evaluation if seen.

It is a bad habit that can get you into trouble

I always thank the ump or the catcher if they pick up the used bat and hand it to someone on the batting squad --- when that happens, it's after the completion of play ...

%%%

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I always thank the ump or the catcher if they pick up the used bat and hand it to someone on the batting squad --- when that happens, it's after the completion of play ...

%%%

If time's been called and I'm coming back from trailing the batting runner, I'll pick up the bat to hand (never toss or throw) to the next batter. I just do it to keep the game going.

However, I won't move the bat during live ball play for the reasons mentioned earlier.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
If time's been called and I'm coming back from trailing the batting runner, I'll pick up the bat to hand (never toss or throw) to the next batter. I just do it to keep the game going.

However, I won't move the bat during live ball play for the reasons mentioned earlier.

Bad habit regardless of the reason.