Pick up questions

huntaholic21

Addicted to Softballfans
We have all either picked up players that we didn't know or picked up on teams where we didn't know the coach. I thought it would be funny to hear some of the things you've heard pick up players say at the first interaction with the coach. Could be real or hypothetical...
Example, "How many bumps do I get?" "Can I just shoot middle the whole time, or do you want me to mix it up? Whatcha got?

For the fall team that I was on last year, we got this guy like second week into the season who was and is the epitome of being a complete and utter d bag. The reason why I say this is because each and every week, he kept trying to get me to trash my current swing that I have put hours upon hours of work into with help from my boys to get it to where it is now and that he knows what hes talking about because "hes been playing softball for like 20 years and knows what hes talking about while everyone else that I have played with doesn't know what they are talking about at all." That team also had the typical softball Mr. Big Shots on it too, which just added to it.

jrockdog

Splittin Gaps
when they say that they can play anywhere .............. moments later you discover that they are a liar in addition to being a terrible softball player

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
I can play anywhere means "I'm not good enough at any position to ask you for it" as often as it means they can play anywhere.

2TransAms

Droppin' 280 ft bombs
I can play anywhere means "I'm not good enough at any position to ask you for it" as often as it means they can play anywhere.

You can't always blame 'em. Most people, and if you don't believe me ask around, think slowpitch does not require much talent. It's an eye-opener for sure when some of the guys take the field for the first time, claim they can play 3B, and Dwayne Johnson blasts an X-Rock at their nuts.

2TransAms

Droppin' 280 ft bombs
On that note, we picked up a kid who said he "used to play OF". After biffing several easy plays, we found out that his entire sports career consisted of exactly one season of little league.

jd10

Came to make a bang
when they say that they can play anywhere .............. moments later you discover that they are a liar in addition to being a terrible softball player

This every damn year. I run a corporate team and every year we get a few new guys who can "play anywhere". Maybe i mishear them and theyre saying i can play nowhere.

AreJay

Addicted to Softballfans
Had a guy once tell me he could play anywhere, but liked 3b or OF. Said he was excited to play ball again as it had been a couple of years but he "used to play a lot."

Shows up to the game, five minutes beforehand, in his sneakers asking me if I had a glove and maybe some shoes for him to use. Struck out swinging twice and looking once (without swinging the bat), and didn't pay up the beer he owed. He was no longer allowed to play with us.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
" the team I played for where I used to live won c state back in 2014"

That guy always gets me

mattya420

Manager
"that's the first time I've ever struck out in softball"

Sure it is bud.....go have a dart and think about why you're here

SandyWH

#Delicious
If his first question is "How many good fouls do we get?" I automatically assume he's not getting a hit today.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
"can I bring my baseball bat? I can hit that"
"i used to play X position when I played baseball" (usually 20 years ago as a toddler)
"I can play anywhere" (usually horrible at everything…even C runs to the backstop every 3rd pitch)
"do you know so and so? do you know so and so?" like the more ballers you know lets me know you are legit.
"how many hr's do we get?" (never hits one)
"I'm pretty much available whenever" (yeah noone is ever calling you to sub after the first time)
*talks about bats for most of the game but brought none*

other things that you know you picked up the wrong guy (even if he's decent)

takes a 2nd strike and just stands there not knowing you start with a 1 and 1.
warms up by throwing nothing but curve balls and knuckle balls at his partnerhes

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
warms up by throwing nothing but curve balls and knuckle balls at his partnerhes

So I have played on your team. I once threw a curve ball to the 1B during a game. Freaked him the hell out. (We were either up big up down big and I was in 'I don't care' mode)