Picking up bats

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I actively discourage on deck batters from trying to retrieve discarded equipment during ongoing play.

I would not do this. I don't like the idea of telling a player what to do or what not to do, because the moment you do that, you A) could be considered coaching them and B) may assume some amount of liability should they carry out your instructions, only to have someone end up getting injured.

Catchers have been kicking bats out of the area around home plate for decades, and on-deck batters have been retrieving those bats for just as long. I let them handle it.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
As a player, I'll always dart out and grab a bat from the home plate area when I'm on-deck as long as there's no immediate play at home (ball still rolling in the outfield, fielder just picking the ball up, etc.). If a runner is coming home and there may be a throw, I back way up and hope the catcher moves the bat.

It's a pet peeve of mine to see an on-deck batter on my team daydreaming and not moving a bat if he has the chance. It's such an easy, routine thing to do and it could save one of your buddies from a shattered ankle.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
I would not do this. I don't like the idea of telling a player what to do or what not to do, because the moment you do that, you A) could be considered coaching them and B) may assume some amount of liability should they carry out your instructions, only to have someone end up getting injured.

Catchers have been kicking bats out of the area around home plate for decades, and on-deck batters have been retrieving those bats for just as long. I let them handle it.

If the umpire picks up a discarded bat he/she has now taken his/her eyes off of the ball and/or runners. This could cause you to miss something important. Also, if the umpire picks up a discarded bat what does the umpire do with that bat? Throw it out of the way? What if you hit someone with it? Do you kick it out of the way? What if you hit someone with it? Do you carry it with you? What if you go to make a safe call at 3rd base and the bat slips out of your hand when you make the call and hits someone?

No, I instruct my umpires to leave discarded bats where they lay. They are a part of the field and there are rules to cover this issue.

MaverickAH

What liability could you possibly incur by instructing someone to not remove something that, by rule, is now part of the field?

Maybe having the on deck batter come out to remove a bat is less of an issue in slow pitch but trust me when I tell you that it can be a big problem in modified & fast pitch where bases are still 60' & runners can leave on the release. I can't tell you how many times my field of vision has been obstructed or I've been bumped into by eager on deck batters trying to retrieve a bat! if you think that bending down to pick it up yourself is an issue, how do you feel about an on deck batter causing you to lose your line of sight?

Sorry, the best thing is to instruct them that it's not their "job" & to stay out of the play.........

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Okay, I'm a computer geek, not a lawyer, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt.

Common law is built upon society's expectations of when certain things are to be expected, and, in particular, when these things are not done. For decades, teams have had the on-deck batters and catchers remove the bats from play whenever possible, so the expectation is that this is what's to be expected of these participants. If you give a blanket statement that teams should not allow the on-deck batters to remove bats from play, you're changing the parameters of how the game is played, going against what the expectations are.

A better instruction, in my opinion, would be something along the lines of "if you're going to get the bats, make sure you aren't in anyone's way. Look before you dive in." And if it's an issue, I'd work through the coaches to tell their players what to do or what not to do. If the on-deck batter ends up creating interference, well, then you already have a rule in hand for that.

But to give a blanket statement that on-deck batters shouldn't retrieve bats, in this layperson's experience, is ill-advised. Well-meaning, yes, but ill-advised.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Okay, I'm a computer geek, not a lawyer, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt.

Common law is built upon society's expectations of when certain things are to be expected, and, in particular, when these things are not done. For decades, teams have had the on-deck batters and catchers remove the bats from play whenever possible, so the expectation is that this is what's to be expected of these participants. If you give a blanket statement that teams should not allow the on-deck batters to remove bats from play, you're changing the parameters of how the game is played, going against what the expectations are.

A better instruction, in my opinion, would be something along the lines of "if you're going to get the bats, make sure you aren't in anyone's way. Look before you dive in." And if it's an issue, I'd work through the coaches to tell their players what to do or what not to do. If the on-deck batter ends up creating interference, well, then you already have a rule in hand for that.

But to give a blanket statement that on-deck batters shouldn't retrieve bats, in this layperson's experience, is ill-advised. Well-meaning, yes, but ill-advised.
Very well said

LIKEUCM

I'm with Irish on this one. I have taught umpires for years, and make a point to instruct them not to touch discarded bats. It may appear to be in the way, but kicking or tossing it somewhere elses, may place it in a position to be involved in the play. I believe the book does not address the issue as it gives us credit for being smart enough to leave bats alone, and instructs on what is our role, and not addressing issues that we should not be involved with. We should not tell a catcher that a runner missed home plate and to appeal the play, but the book does not tell us that we should not do that either....

ScootDog

Rather be surfing
I saw an MLB home plate up pick up a bat moments before a runner score last night......just saying.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I've also seen an MLB umpire get clocked across the face with a runner's cleats because he got too damn close to the play.

Just because MLB does it doesn't mean everyone else should.

ScootDog

Rather be surfing
I've also seen an MLB umpire get clocked across the face with a runner's cleats because he got too damn close to the play.

Just because MLB does it doesn't mean everyone else should.
That's why I said, "just saying".........

bartxe

1st base coach
Tell your on-deck teammate to stop flirting with the dudes in the stands and go pick up your bat...or hire a bat-boy.
the batter in the hole should grab the bat cuz thats what the big boys on youtube do. that way the on deck batter can sweep the box, take 7 super hard swings while stepping down third base line, then build a mound of dirt in the middle of the box to brace their back foot... duh

blakcherry329

I think this is much ado about nothing. Any umpire is not going to move a bat if there is a situation where a play is going to need his utmost intention. I've seen many umps move bats when a ball is crushed. A non-issue imo.

in the case of the OP, I'm sure the ump didn't throw the bat overhand again the fence or anything. The endcap was probably loose already. Glue it back on, wtf.

JabNblue

Is there anywhere is the USA Softball rule book for umpires that states their responsibility to pick up bats or NOT?

Recently, an ump tossed a bat from home plate to the on deck area in between batters and no one on and the cap of the bat came off, now the batter wants restitution of some sort.
Absolutely no. This along with many other reasons to avoid such.

JabNblue

No sir, I dont throw them but im referring to the OP's story of the ump tossing the bat and it popping the cap, also Ive seen people toss them hard enough to hit the back stop or fence etc which in my opinion is not respecting other peoples property is all.
I think a "toss" as it was quoted only caused a defective bat cap to come off. Raises the question if bat had been modified. But we don't have ways to check. Which I've inquired recently, with the modern day engineers and a person who has used an extensive amount of various tools why can't a hand held model be devised? We have torque wrenches, micrometers , moisture indicators, etc. why not a compression tester???

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I think a "toss" as it was quoted only caused a defective bat cap to come off. Raises the question if bat had been modified. But we don't have ways to check. Which I've inquired recently, with the modern day engineers and a person who has used an extensive amount of various tools why can't a hand held model be devised? We have torque wrenches, micrometers , moisture indicators, etc. why not a compression tester???

Jab, you can't be serious.

TomicSquad13

Addicted to Softballfans
I personally don't want the umpire or a catcher touching my bats. Two recent experiences I've had:

An umpire stepped on the knob of the bat to stand my bat up to pick it up. He ended up breaking the knob off. Later in the game he threw the bat out when my wife came up with the same bat (she put the knob back on and tapped it down) and he said the knob came off and can't be used the rest of the game.

An catcher flipped my bat back to the dugout and it was probably about 10 feet high in the air. It flipped end over end and landed directly on the end cap and it looked like a pogo stick. It ended up jarring the handle weight loose and it's rattled ever since.

Those are my most recent bad encounters but there have been several where catchers and umpires get overzealous throwing the back bat.

I tell my catchers to leave the bat because half the time they were picking up bats while the play was still going on lol.