ASA Pinch Hitter Question

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
This came up in our Tournament Finals today.

Team A pinch hits for the pitcher in the bottom of the 3rd inning and the pitcher reenters in the top of the fourth to pitch.

Team tried to use the same pinch hitter in the 5th for the pitcher.

Can he do that or once someone pinch hits and the original player reenters the game the pinch hitter is done for the game.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
This came up in our Tournament Finals today.

Team A pinch hits for the pitcher in the bottom of the 3rd inning and the pitcher reenters in the top of the fourth to pitch.

Team tried to use the same pinch hitter in the 5th for the pitcher.

Can he do that or once someone pinch hits and the original player reenters the game the pinch hitter is done for the game.

There's no such thing as a pinch runner or a pinch hitter in slow pitch softball. It's only a substitution.

Any player may re-enter the game once, so long as it is in the same spot in the line-up. This applies to both starters and substitutes.

corsmr50

im curious as to why in the hell they wouldnt just DH for the pitcher if they had this extra guy who was gonna be hitting for him at least 50% of the time? regardless, listen to what ncasaump speaks of

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
im curious as to why in the hell they wouldnt just DH for the pitcher if they had this extra guy who was gonna be hitting for him at least 50% of the time? regardless, listen to what ncasaump speaks of

Because unless the pitcher is an ADA player, you can't have someone hit for you every time unless you have enough subs.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
The fact that there is no Designated Hitter in ASA softball might have something to do with it...

MarlSrSoftball

So in his case the "pinch hitter" can hit for the pitcher again and the pitcher is done, correct?

That is the why I understand NSAUMP's answer which would have meant I would have had to go in to pitch.

I ruled the other way but it ended up making no difference as we won the game and championship anyway.

Bad part now is I have to apologize to my manager for being wrong.

Last edited:

MarlSrSoftball

oh fred....must be getting senile in your old age....:eek::p:D

you coming down to dalton,ga this year.......

I don't think so. The 80 team I was going to try to play with folded when the sponsor died.

At 78 I qualified to play for the 80's this. I will miss it as for me that was the best tournament of the year. Just loved playing down there. The area, the food etc where the greatest.

I may go to Ft Meyers with our local 75 team if we can get enough quality players to go.

I don't think so. The 80 team I was going to try to play with folded when the sponsor died.

At 78 I qualified to play for the 80's this. I will miss it as for me that was the best tournament of the year. Just loved playing down there. The area, the food etc where the greatest.

I may go to Ft Meyers with our local 75 team if we can get enough quality players to go.

we are talking about ft meyers this yr instead of vegas,i have never like vegas anyways.have always liked dalton,and would go there over phoenix any day.but the best of them all is the huntsman games in st george,ut for my money.

MarlSrSoftball

Our 75 team was going to the Huntsman but some players pulled out so hopefully we will have enough for Ft Meyers.

Playing in the Cape Cod Classic next month with our 70's. Not a very good team but they needed a pitcher so I said I would go. I will probably be sorry I did when it is over. Not much offense with ave defense. The only power we have is me and I am not hitting that well this year.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Since you fellas are now talking about Senior Slow Pitch, there is one thing I'll add to my previous statements. ASA Senior Slow Pitch allows for courtesy runners. They can be anyone on the roster, regardless of whether they're already in the line-up.

Putting a courtesy runner in for a runner on base does not count as a substitution. It's just a courtesy runner.

I figure you two already know that, but for those playing the home game, I figured I'd bring it up.

I'm surprised neither of you are going to Burlington, NC, this year.

Since you fellas are now talking about Senior Slow Pitch, there is one thing I'll add to my previous statements. ASA Senior Slow Pitch allows for courtesy runners. They can be anyone on the roster, regardless of whether they're already in the line-up.

Putting a courtesy runner in for a runner on base does not count as a substitution. It's just a courtesy runner.

I figure you two already know that, but for those playing the home game, I figured I'd bring it up.

and you think we don't know this why.....:rolleyes::eek::p:D

ASA doesn't do a whole lot of senior tourneys,just basically the national one,and they don't like the bat/ball combo so they stay away,unlike the seniors assoc's that allow the hot bat/ball.....even tho the ball is the same as ASA's ball....

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
and you think we don't know this why.....:rolleyes::eek::p:D

ASA doesn't do a whole lot of senior tourneys,just basically the national one,and they don't like the bat/ball combo so they stay away,unlike the seniors assoc's that allow the hot bat/ball.....even tho the ball is the same as ASA's ball....

YOU know it, but others may not. Sheesh, don't you read? :D

Oh well... I was going to drop by and make an appearance there to visit with some of the out-of-town umpires I know. :D

MarlSrSoftball

Good Point.