Other Pitcher Protection

yance

Addicted to Softballfans
SSUSA Is requiring pitchers to wear shin guards and face masks for 2014. Are there other associations that have similar regulations?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I don't know of any associations that require pitchers wear that equipment. I do know of one association (IFA) that does require fielders' masks be of a certain pre-approved model IF they are worn.

I think this is a bad idea.

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
I'm seeing some leagues do it. I'm actually the driving force for one of my leagues to adopt a mask requirement for pitchers.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I'm seeing some leagues do it. I'm actually the driving force for one of my leagues to adopt a mask requirement for pitchers.

I don't think that's such a good idea. Encourage, yes, but requiring a mask can open a whole new can of worms.

What if the mask fails, resulting in serious injury to the pitcher? For example, a line drive is hit up the middle, breaks the mask, and a piece flies into the pitcher's eye. You might be on the hook for damages, as you "required" that piece of equipment that has not undergone any standardized safety certification (such as NOCSAE).

This is precisely why you haven't seen any of the major associations (ASA, USSSA, NSA, etc.) go this route. These pieces of equipment haven't been properly tested by an independent organization capable of determining proper safety protections. Players are still welcome to wear these masks, but it's their decision to do so.

Secondly, whose responsibility will it be to determine what masks are "legal" and what masks aren't? Will there be pre-game safety inspections? Are you going to educate your umpires on what to look for when examining these masks? Sure, common sense dictates that if the mask is cracked, it's no longer fit for use on the field. However, most slow pitch umpires aren't used to being so diligent when checking equipment (it's more of a fast pitch thing), and hell, we're having troubles getting umpires to check bats before the game. Now they're supposed to check more equipment? Your mileage there may vary.

While I believe your heart is absolutely in the right place in wanting to prevent serious injuries, I would advise caution before mandating extra equipment beyond what has been tried, tested and certified by a proper authority.

That's just my $0.02.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Oh, and full disclosure. I'm not a lawyer. I'm a computer geek. So take my "legal advice" with a grain of salt. ;)

I am, however, just relaying some of the arguments I've heard over the years from various associations regarding the mandating of these masks, and why they haven't done it themselves.

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew
I don't think that's such a good idea. Encourage, yes, but requiring a mask can open a whole new can of worms.

What if the mask fails, resulting in serious injury to the pitcher? For example, a line drive is hit up the middle, breaks the mask, and a piece flies into the pitcher's eye. You might be on the hook for damages, as you "required" that piece of equipment that has not undergone any standardized safety certification (such as NOCSAE).

This is precisely why you haven't seen any of the major associations (ASA, USSSA, NSA, etc.) go this route. These pieces of equipment haven't been properly tested by an independent organization capable of determining proper safety protections. Players are still welcome to wear these masks, but it's their decision to do so.

Secondly, whose responsibility will it be to determine what masks are "legal" and what masks aren't? Will there be pre-game safety inspections? Are you going to educate your umpires on what to look for when examining these masks? Sure, common sense dictates that if the mask is cracked, it's no longer fit for use on the field. However, most slow pitch umpires aren't used to being so diligent when checking equipment (it's more of a fast pitch thing), and hell, we're having troubles getting umpires to check bats before the game. Now they're supposed to check more equipment? Your mileage there may vary.

While I believe your heart is absolutely in the right place in wanting to prevent serious injuries, I would advise caution before mandating extra equipment beyond what has been tried, tested and certified by a proper authority.

That's just my $0.02.

Oh, and full disclosure. I'm not a lawyer. I'm a computer geek. So take my "legal advice" with a grain of salt. ;)

I am, however, just relaying some of the arguments I've heard over the years from various associations regarding the mandating of these masks, and why they haven't done it themselves.
I know you're a computer geek...I'm one too (kinda).

It's a small 12 team league that does an excellent job of self regulating. Zero issues with altered bats, fights (some arguing, but that's all), etc. Teams are going to be provided with a mask to start the season (undecided on Combat, Worth, or Rip-It), and they're responsible for making sure that it's at the field. No mask = forfeit, or more likely the opposing team will lend you theirs. Masks are to be checked by the team for damage before games and after any shot to it. Players can wear a different mask or helmet of their choosing if they so prefer.

Players will also likely sign a waiver absolving the league and players of liability in the event of mask failure from both proper and improper usage.

It's not a very high level league, though the teams are evenly matched for the most part. Nobody aims for pitchers, but being that it's low level, some players do struggle with bat control and occasionally will send one through the box. And even then we're talking about guys who can't sniff 300'...with a handful of exceptions.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I know you're a computer geek...I'm one too (kinda).

It's a small 12 team league that does an excellent job of self regulating. Zero issues with altered bats, fights (some arguing, but that's all), etc. Teams are going to be provided with a mask to start the season (undecided on Combat, Worth, or Rip-It), and they're responsible for making sure that it's at the field. No mask = forfeit, or more likely the opposing team will lend you theirs. Masks are to be checked by the team for damage before games and after any shot to it. Players can wear a different mask or helmet of their choosing if they so prefer.

Players will also likely sign a waiver absolving the league and players of liability in the event of mask failure from both proper and improper usage.

It's not a very high level league, though the teams are evenly matched for the most part. Nobody aims for pitchers, but being that it's low level, some players do struggle with bat control and occasionally will send one through the box. And even then we're talking about guys who can't sniff 300'...with a handful of exceptions.

I still advise against it, and I especially advise against supplying the mask yourself. If it fails, one could argue "this is the mask YOU provided and mandated, and it failed to protect me."

A waiver is only valid when a judge/jury says that it's valid. It may stop some lawsuits, but it won't stop all. Don't put too much faith in them.

It's good that your league is more laid back. I hope it stays that way, as we need more of those kinds of leagues.

dychen

Phoenix SuperDraft
If a base coach can sue a child for a ruptured Achilles after he threw his helmet in celebration. Everyone can get sued for anything.

But, I would think that if you say a safety device is needed and that the user has to determine whether or not the device itself is sufficient to sustain possible impact. The responsibility goes back to the player.

Requiring something is a bit tough. But people who dont wear masks are crazy. Especially in Senior Ball. My dad got a ball just below his knee and it fractures his bone and tore miniscus. Required surgery. Senior bats are crazy and those guys can mash, especially major plus guys. He wears shins and a mask now all the time. I wear as much as I can when I pitch, especially utrip.

sjury

The Old Man

All this time I thought you were an umpire.....

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
I'd be worried that someone would get hit in the the chest or leg and get injured and sue because being forced to wear a mask cut down their vision. If I was gonna require masks, I would probably go with a pitching screen instead. Just my 2 cents.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
If a base coach can sue a child for a ruptured Achilles after he threw his helmet in celebration. Everyone can get sued for anything.

But, I would think that if you say a safety device is needed and that the user has to determine whether or not the device itself is sufficient to sustain possible impact. The responsibility goes back to the player.

And the highlighted portion is exactly why it should not be mandated.

Whether it is smart or not is another question. But, like sliding, if you mandate it, you damn well better be sure the people are instructed how to perform the mandated task or the equipment works as prescribed or you will be broke and out of business in a heartbeat.

mitchy

I've been seeing some little leagues around me requiring a pitchers/fielders mask for certain age groups, which I am recently liking now that my younger sister has started to play. I grew up playing without one, but I know the risks and would be more calm watching my sister play wearing one.

It's kind of the same debate that girls lacrosse and field hockey had when goggles were becoming introduced and mandated into the sport...it started with younger groups and now the collegiate level has to wear protective head gear. I think I would have been hesitant to wearing a mask, especially if I had to suddenly wear one after playing without it for so long, but after doing a lot of research, pitching masks make a lot of sense. I found a good breakdown of questions and research here, http://www.pitchershelmet.com/

Hebrew Hacker, it's good to see some others supporting it!

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I don't think anyone is denying that a fielder's mask can help to increase safety on the field.

However, when you start mandating equipment that hasn't gone through any certification process for safety, you're actually putting yourself at risk.

"You made me/my child wear this piece of equipment, and he still got injured as a result. I blame you."

I don't agree with their logic, but that doesn't mean the suit won't still be filed.

MrWilliams

The Veteran
A safety cert won't stop a determined lawyer/helicopter parent, they'll just raise other issues: Was the ball legal? Was the bat legal? Was the pitching distance in-line with the sanctioning body rules? Were the coaches certified by the sanctioning body? Were the coaches teaching proper safety? Yes, you say? Please produce the training materials used...Etc...etc...

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I've been seeing some little leagues around me requiring a pitchers/fielders mask for certain age groups, which I am recently liking now that my younger sister has started to play. I grew up playing without one, but I know the risks and would be more calm watching my sister play wearing one.

It's kind of the same debate that girls lacrosse and field hockey had when goggles were becoming introduced and mandated into the sport...it started with younger groups and now the collegiate level has to wear protective head gear. I think I would have been hesitant to wearing a mask, especially if I had to suddenly wear one after playing without it for so long, but after doing a lot of research, pitching masks make a lot of sense. I found a good breakdown of questions and research here, http://www.pitchershelmet.com/

To the best of my knowledge, no one has ever said to not wear a mask or that it is a bad thing. Just that it shouldn't be mandated. And it certainly shouldn't NEED to be mandated.

Arrgh

Addicted to Softballfans

Thank you. It's a good thing to do.

I wear a pitcher's mask when I pitch.

There're still people saying it's "pussie", or other words.

In fastpitch, our pitchers wear mask, for good reasons.

2fastxeg

Outstanding Bad Dealer
This would be a bit of a Catch22 in my league. Lets say these masks are mandated and they are also certified and tested to achieve some sort of certification, this would cause a few teams in my league to have reason to freely hit shots at the pitcher. I wish our league and all the teams were a bit more on the same page of playing lower division rec softball and simply just have fun playing the game safely and fairly.

MDUmp

Addicted to Softballfans
In ISA in Maryland, if you do not wear a mask and shin guards, you have to initial the lineup card stating that you are aware of the risks you are taking.

I don't agree with it, but that is what the Director wants, so that is what I do.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
This would be a bit of a Catch22 in my league. Lets say these masks are mandated and they are also certified and tested to achieve some sort of certification, this would cause a few teams in my league to have reason to freely hit shots at the pitcher. I wish our league and all the teams were a bit more on the same page of playing lower division rec softball and simply just have fun playing the game safely and fairly.

#1 Is the pitcher in fair territory and where is the largest hole in the infield?

The game has always had its risks and if you are not comfortable with those risks, maybe you should find another sport.

kingbenny

Addicted to Softballfans
I had a batter tell me after he struck out that he did not swing cause he would have hit me. I told him don't aim at me, what's the matter with you