Pitchers Box?

jcf_64

Addicted to Softballfans
ok we start league monday and the person who is running our league is going to inforce a pitchers box this league to protect pitchers? if u hit at the pitcher while he is in the box you are out and it can even be a judgement call if u hit over the pitchers head. This is the dumbest thing ive ever heard if a pitcher cant protect himself he doesnt need to be pitching, have yall had experience with this?

///m3

Manager
That's how our league is here. Umps leave it up to the home team to leave the middle open or closed. ALOT of teams close it though.

Moose40

I make turtles look fast
personally no, but my teammate's friend plays in a league with a rule where if you hit the pitcher you are out, sounds similar to what you describe. (not sure if that is the same as stating you are enforcing the pitchers box)

jcf_64

Addicted to Softballfans
well with the box you dont even have to hit the pitcher to be out, just hit it near him when he is in the box

Moose40

I make turtles look fast
good lord, that's lame, I'm a pitcher and I know people are going to try to lace it between my ss and 2nd baseman, so I'm ready to field my position. I understand accidents happen, but my third baseman could take a rocket in the face/chest/leg just as easily as I could, or my SS could take a one hopper that hits a divot wrong and hits him in the face.
It's unfortunate because I think this rule is being made primarily because of the E and D leagues where people are putting too many fat sob's on the mound that can't run and field balls.
I think if this rule comes to my league, I'm getting a tee shirt screen printed with a fat guy on a mound with the phrase "Save the Whales" on it.

jcf_64

Addicted to Softballfans
i feel the same way, whats next put a box around the 3rd baseman?
i pitch too and have only been hit once in the ankle, but ive seen fat pitchers get nailed because they can hardly move
We have a lady running out league here, i wouldnt have a problem at all if she knew what she was doing and talking about

goodfella51

Addicted to Softballfans
I have played with screens up in front of pitcher and if you hit the screen your out. Have seen it where you hit the screen once deadball, second time your out.

jcf_64

Addicted to Softballfans
Safety first. It is only league after all.

i can understand that its only a game, but the sale mask u can wear and other stuff, part of pitching is being able to protect yourself, i always wear a cup when i pitch
but idk these boxes feel like its going to take away from the game

Moose40

I make turtles look fast
I agree Johnny to some point. It's only a game, but when does achieving safety become overboard? Just spitballing here, but if you play the infield, you have to know that a liner, grounder, or some other type of sharply hit ball is coming at you at some point. For safety's sake, those of us who are too fat, slow, or simply don't know how to field should stay in the dugout.
My opinion, I'm smart enough to stay out of E leagues, because common theory is, E ball players don't place hits, they just hit the ball. I don't play C ball (or above) because those guys know how to hit, and will try to make me dance if they thought I couldn't field. So I stay "safe" by playing in a league that is not above my ability. Again, accidents happen, but I will only blame myself if I can't catch or get out of the way of a middle shot.

Moose40

I make turtles look fast
on a side note, in lower leagues, d and e, is this rule going to stop the pitcher from getting hit? Sure it's an out when it happens, but do most e league players have the ability to place their hit, if they did, I would think they would play a higher level.

fldiverr

Addicted to Softballfans
I can kind of see both sides of this. The traditional, old school ballplayer in me says that this is bogus and cheapens the game. However, I've played this game for a long time and watched the evolution of bats and I have seen the difference that composite bats make in the way the ball jumps off the bat. I don't think that I would ever want any kind of pitcher protection rule in tourneys. But for league play, I'm okay with it. I've seen too many guys get hurt. And for league, it just isn't worth it. Now that I'm playing 45+ ball, it makes even more sense. After the age of 40, the reflexes start to slow down but for a lot of guys, the ability to still hit lazers (especially with senior bats) is still there.

JohnnyH

Addicted to Softballfans
We use this rule in some leagues in Houston. I dont mind it that much because shaved bats are such a problem here.

This rule will also cause some complacency by the pitcher. I was pitching one night and got my tower buzzed. I was so used to the guys not going middle all night that I wasnt as ready as I normally would be. Remind your pitcher to not take the rule for granted and to be ready.

well guys,they that have decided to use cheater bats are the ones to blame,pretty soon it'll be the 52-275 ball(and it has started in utrip).to many composite hero's trying to impress no one.

jcf_64

Addicted to Softballfans
the box is outlined in chalk i believe, when i pitch im going to kick dirt over it to get the message across i dont like it
i hope this doesnt last long

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
I've played tourneys like this, but it really wasn't that bad. The box was only about three feet wide. If you are talking about lower level leagues, I don't have a problem with a rule that discourages the hitters from hitting right at the pitcher. In more competitive leagues, it probably shouldn't be there.

My problem in the tourneys I have played in with this rule, the biggest problem was enforcement. The rule was over their head was ok, but what was considered over their head changed from ump to ump. The other problem was the box is forbidden, but what if the pitcher steps off to the side and you hit through the box, or steps to the side and gets hit? I've seen the pitcher step to the side, the ball go through the box and the batter be called out even though now it wasn't endangering the pitcher.

TwoStrokeTerror

You Know!
We have a halo-rule in our league. Pitcher has two feet on both sides, front, back, and over head, any line drive in that area is an out.

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
I would say that if this is going to be a rule in a league or tourney, there needs to be a rule also stating that the pitcher may not be the first defender to touch the ball unless he is inside the box. If the box is an out, you had better prevent pitchers from drifting outside of the box to become another fielder and to make more outs.

JGorms41

Addicted to Softballfans
I have played with screens up in front of pitcher and if you hit the screen your out. Have seen it where you hit the screen once deadball, second time your out.

i have heard of this before and i think it would be good for senior leagues....but if you are gonna sign up for a league where its 18+ you should be ready to field your position

///m3

Manager
I would say that if this is going to be a rule in a league or tourney, there needs to be a rule also stating that the pitcher may not be the first defender to touch the ball unless he is inside the box. If the box is an out, you had better prevent pitchers from drifting outside of the box to become another fielder and to make more outs.

Totally agree on this. A couple weeks ago a few people on my team kept blasting middle (not on purpose, just no bat control) so the pitcher would jump out of the box after the pitch. Gave him a much better chance to get an out.

jcf_64

Addicted to Softballfans
Totally agree on this. A couple weeks ago a few people on my team kept blasting middle (not on purpose, just no bat control) so the pitcher would jump out of the box after the pitch. Gave him a much better chance to get an out.

this is something im worried about as well
instead of making the pitcher field his position he can just move out of the way for a easy out