Pitchers... Fielding the middle

gr8watson

The Rookie
We play 5 man a lot so I tend cover where needed, unless I miss a pitch to the outside. Then I scramble to my left to help out that side. Fortunately I play with 3 amazing ss that play ss, b2 and the wheel. As long as I do my job pitching the right pitch the guys behind take care of the rest and I just have to protect middle.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
We've been pushing for mandatory fielding masks for pitchers. I hope it eventually goes through. Because right now the only pitchers wearing masks are the ones that know how to pitch, get back, and are ready. The statue guys haven't smartened up yet.

It's unnecessary to force pitchers to wear protection - Just eject them for not getting into a protective stance - Or award the batter a walk every time the pitcher does not get into a protective position...

That is the problem - The pitcher is not protecting himself - Forcing them to wear helments just reiterates that they can be as irresponsible as they want and the league will look out for them...

Let's put the responsibility where it belongs --- on the pitcher to protect themselves with their glove chest high after every pitch... That's the way the game is supposed to be played - It wasn't intended to be played with football helmets...

Heck - Forcing batters back to Wood Bats is even more appropriate to the game than altering the field (halo, screens, etc.) to compensate for Bravado Intoxicated batters...

The real problem is that no one wants to deal with the EGOTISTICAL ATTITUDE that has infected the batting side of the game... Not the associations, not the bat companies, not the TDs and not the Managers... Those EGOs (sandbagging or headhunting or shaving) are continuing to destroying the all-around competitive game that softball was intended to be...

You eliminate those three things from today's game and the other 90% of the players would better enjoy the game...

%%%

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
I only pitch when I have to. I wear a mask. The ball is usually within feet of me by the time the message from my eyes reaches my brian. While I've never been hit, and usually get a glove on anything that would hit me, I really have no chance at stopping a hard hit ball that's a few feet to either side of me. Trying to back peddle usually throws off my pitching. I just step, release and plant. I've never paid attention to what other pitchers do, but back peddling is focusing on too much for me to pitch. A person that pitches regularly could probably handle it better.

Muscles220

Addicted to Softballfans
It's unnecessary to force pitchers to wear protection - Just eject them for not getting into a protective stance - Or award the batter a walk every time the pitcher does not get into a protective position...

That is the problem - The pitcher is not protecting himself - Forcing them to wear helments just reiterates that they can be as irresponsible as they want and the league will look out for them...

Let's put the responsibility where it belongs --- on the pitcher to protect themselves with their glove chest high after every pitch... That's the way the game is supposed to be played - It wasn't intended to be played with football helmets...

Heck - Forcing batters back to Wood Bats is even more appropriate to the game than altering the field (halo, screens, etc.) to compensate for Bravado Intoxicated batters...

The real problem is that no one wants to deal with the EGOTISTICAL ATTITUDE that has infected the batting side of the game... Not the associations, not the bat companies, not the TDs and not the Managers... Those EGOs (sandbagging or headhunting or shaving) are continuing to destroying the all-around competitive game that softball was intended to be...

You eliminate those three things from today's game and the other 90% of the players would better enjoy the game...

%%%

If you're saying wood bats or single walls, I'm all for it. If you're saying award a walk every time the pitcher is dumb, I'm not for it.