Pitchers?

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
When I pitch, RHT no step, staggered stance with my right foot on the rubber behind me, and a contralateral release. When you step, your eyes move up and down along with your head making it harder to aim. Also with no step forward, it's faster to get in a defensive stance in case someone buzzes the middle

blakcherry329

When I pitch, RHT no step, staggered stance with my right foot on the rubber behind me, and a contralateral release. When you step, your eyes move up and down along with your head making it harder to aim. Also with no step forward, it's faster to get in a defensive stance in case someone buzzes the middle

I beg to differ.

Not sure why your eyes are moving so much. Mine stay focused on the target, wherever that may be. If you step you just follow through with your other leg, just like baseball pitching.

It's not that difficult. If you're the type of pitcher that likes to run back, then you probably don't want to step when you pitch.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
I beg to differ.

Not sure why your eyes are moving so much. Mine stay focused on the target, wherever that may be. If you step you just follow through with your other leg, just like baseball pitching.

It's not that difficult. If you're the type of pitcher that likes to run back, then you probably don't want to step when you pitch.

Agree. I use the full extension on my follow through and at point of release my eyes are focus on target and my glove is up for defense.

TomicSquad13

Addicted to Softballfans
I pitch righty. I start 6 to 8 feet back of the rubber (really as much as the umpire will give me) and I usually don't step but I'll adjust my feet a lot trying to change up my look so its a little different each pitch. I pitch with backspin or throw knuckle balls but knuckle balls that don't dance get hit about 400 feet lol.

If I'm missing the plate or dudes are taking pitches that miss by an inch I'll get a little closer and then go back to stepping with my left foot since that is how I did it when I first started pitching.

Regardless of how I throw it I always take two steps back and set my feet as quick as I can to protect myself.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
I beg to differ.

Much like in batting you should want to eliminate any unnecessary movement, different strokes I guess. Most if not all the Major pitchers don't use a step

It's lobbing the ball underhand, not building rockets or cutting open skulls.

Once you get out of Rec it's a lot more than just throwing it up there so the other team can hit it, even a trained chimp can lob a ball 12 mph.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
Much like in batting you should want to eliminate any unnecessary movement, different strokes I guess. Most if not all the Major pitchers don't use a step

Once you get out of Rec it's a lot more than just throwing it up there so the other team can hit it, even a trained chimp can lob a ball 12 mph.

I tried not taking a step but I seemed to lose my accuracy and movement on the ball. Your right it takes more than just throwing it up there to be called a pitcher. We have 30 teams in our league with each team having 2 pitchers and would be willing to bet there aren't more than doz pitchers. Rest are just throwers.

blakcherry329

true, but you step when you bat, correct? Like you said, different strokes...

As long as you throw strikes, it's all good.
Major pitchers do both, as far as I know.

Did you just call the OP and a few of the posters in here untrained chimps?

LOL. I was thinking the same thing