Pitching Helmets

Cerealkrusher

I'm wondering when other companies will start making pitching helmets/masks? I use an old lacrosse helmet myself, but have been looking to upgrade. Partly since I can't find it. I like the Worth option, but its always sold out. I don't know why other companies don't have their own line out? They seem to sell well.

Any ideas?
I just paid the extra $50 for the exclusive version of the worth mask. This will be my first time wearing a helmet. Seems to be pretty light and doesn’t block my vision too much. Wish I would of pulled the trigger before all the regular worths sold out. Good luck on your quest

Last edited by a moderator:

AntonChigurh

I just paid the extra $50 for the SIS version of the worth mask. This will be my first time wearing a helmet. Seems to be pretty light and doesn’t block my vision too much. Wish I would of pulled the trigger before all the regular worths sold out. Good luck on your quest
Good for you! From what little I know, seems to be the best pitching specific mask out there. If I had the brass ones to pitch, that’s what I’d be wearing.

blakcherry329

Have you ever played lacrosse?

The helmets are more for protection from sticks than a ball, and also are designed to be super light as you’re running all the time.
Nope, never played. Don't the Goalies wear the same helmet? i'm asking cuz I don't know. But if they do... and what about Defensemen? There's always a chance they may get hit.
I'm not really arguing here. You may be right. However, I am just confident that it's adequate protection. I'm also confident that I won't take a direct hit to the helmet. I know, never say never, but I still have the reflexes to get a glove on anything directly at my head. I may not catch everything, but I do get a glove on shots I can reach, above the waist, that is. lol.

WiLD53

It forces me to put my head down and field it like you're supposed to for sure.
on hard hits your eyes track much faster than your head moves... head movement comes a little later... i found during warmup that the ball was getting to the facemask faster than my head was tilting down... that's one reason i should start doing some practice with it to see if i can adjust to that... i might need to get a different helmet if i can't...

What kind of helmet? I have perfect vision with mine.
i have a batting helmet with a face mask... i think it must be a baseball helmet though since it's got a rather small gap... here's a pic... it could be the mask is positioned too high for this use... :cool:
0306180632.jpg

Last edited:

AntonChigurh

Nope, never played. Don't the Goalies wear the same helmet? i'm asking cuz I don't know. But if they do... and what about Defensemen? There's always a chance they may get hit.
I'm not really arguing here. You may be right. However, I am just confident that it's adequate protection. I'm also confident that I won't take a direct hit to the helmet. I know, never say never, but I still have the reflexes to get a glove on anything directly at my head. I may not catch everything, but I do get a glove on shots I can reach, above the waist, that is. lol.
Goalies wear beefed up masks, also typically with a throat protector. I’m just glad that you’re wearing anything.

Last edited:

AntonChigurh

i was going to get one of those anton but i always play with a cap on... i don't like bright lights in my eyes when i'm playing... that's why i tried a batting helmet... i actually considered the possibility of putting some sort of a bill on one of these... :cool:
You’re wearing sunglasses lol

blakcherry329

on hard hits your eyes track much faster than your head moves... head movement comes a little later... i found during warmup that the ball was getting to the facemask faster than my head was tilting down... that's one reason i should start doing some practice with it to see if i can adjust to that... i might need to get a different helmet if i can't...

i have a batting helmet with a face mask... i think it must be a baseball helmet though since it's got a rather small gap... here's a pic... it could be the mask is positioned too high for this use... :cool:
View attachment 47190
Can see how your vision might be impaired looking down. I don't have that problem, at all. I wear sunglasses when I play the field, pitching or otherwise. They fit under my helmet, no problem.

WiLD53

My lacrosse helmet has a bill like a ball cap
i know... that was actually my first choice for that reason... i tried a lot of them on at the used equipment store and couldn't find anything i liked... i suppose i should try the new equipment store again to see what they have...

however, i really think i could attach a bill to one of those worth legit's... it's got everything i want except the bill... :cool:

blakcherry329

Perfect vision and no, the ball won't get through. lol

full

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
I confident that a lacrosse helmet will stop a softball. Lacrosse balls are way more dense and would cause way more damage, imo.
Lacrosse balls are lighter, bouncier, softer, and less likely to be travelling 100mph+.

Not saying a lacrosse helmet isn't adequate (not sure), but a softball will definitely do more damage than a lacrosse ball. Their COR is something like .8, and they deform into an oval when thrown at a high speed.

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
Lacrosse helmets are tested and held to NOCSAE® standards too......... if your worth mask?
Are you serious? They meet the standards set out for Lacrosse, not for softball or any other purpose. Are you going to wear your lacrosse mask to play goalie in hockey?

I understand you guys like wearing lacrosse helmets for softball. That's fine. Actually, I think it's great. But arguing that they are adequate protection with no evidence is just nonsense. Wear it, by all means, but don't make potentially false statements on here that people are going to take as fact.

Country469

So what standards are softball helmets held to? IDK if you realize this but, That NOCSAE standard is real. Its not a false statement. Those helmets get tested. Again, what standard are softball masks held to? I'd rather know exactly when and how hard a ball needs to be hit to break my mask, than know nothing at all? How many guys put that cheap ass plastic worth mask on and expect it to do anything? Lots, and again what standard is that tested with?

blakcherry329

I feel safe enough in the helmet. Not really going to debate the safety level of a lacrosse helmet vs. the Worth.

I will say this a lacrosse ball weighs about 5.5 oz and 7.5" around. a softball weighs apprx. 6.5 oz and 12" around. I'm thinking both balls traveling at the same velocity will do about the same damage. Personally I think the Lacrosse ball would be more dangerous since the point of impact is going to be smaller with almost the same amount of force. The fastest shot was recorded at 116mph. This is faster than almost any batted softball. ijs.

So, in conclusion, I am not worried about the ability of my helmet to minimize the damage caused by a batted ball.

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
So what standards are softball helmets held to? IDK if you realize this but, That NOCSAE standard is real. Its not a false statement. Those helmets get tested. Again, what standard are softball masks held to? I'd rather know exactly when and how hard a ball needs to be hit to break my mask, than know nothing at all? How many guys put that cheap ass plastic worth mask on and expect it to do anything? Lots, and again what standard is that tested with?

Exactly how hard does a softball need to be hit to break your lacrosse mask? You don't know anymore than you know how hard it needs to be hit to break the Worth legit mask or a baseball catchers mask, or a hockey helmet. That's my point. A softball pitchers mask is at least designed for this purpose, while a lacrosse mask is designed and tested for another purpose.

From a liability standpoint, I would suspect Worth has put some sort of research and testing into their masks. I can guarantee no manufacturer of a lacrosse helmet has thrown softballs 100mph at their helmets to see the effect.

Country469

I honestly don't think dude has ever been around lacrosse to say the balls are lighter and softer like that

Country469

Exactly how hard does a softball need to be hit to break your lacrosse mask? You don't know anymore than you know how hard it needs to be hit to break the Worth legit mask or a baseball catchers mask, or a hockey helmet. That's my point. A softball pitchers mask is at least designed for this purpose, while a lacrosse mask is designed and tested for another purpose.

From a liability standpoint, I would suspect Worth has put some sort of research and testing into their masks. I can guarantee no manufacturer of a lacrosse helmet has thrown softballs 100mph at their helmets to see the effect.

Its a formula......... I don't expect you to know this stuff, nor most people on the board. Mass and velocity hitting a stationary helmet.

AntonChigurh

As a minimum
According to the testing they fire a couple balls at the mask, at different angles, at 70 mph. Mask just has to survive. Same for baseball as well. That’s not saying that manufacturers don’t produce these to be more robust, but they only need to pass at 70.