Pitching Machine for Slowpitch???

RAG101

Well guys I'm sick of always pitching bp decently then getting pitched to by what seems to be a 7 year old. Anyone have any links to a good slowpitch pitching machine or any plans for how to build one myself??? I've had to swing at balls 8 feet outside for far too long.

Dan411

Star Player
Well guys I'm sick of always pitching bp decently then getting pitched to by what seems to be a 7 year old. Anyone have any links to a good slowpitch pitching machine or any plans for how to build one myself??? I've had to swing at balls 8 feet outside for far too long.
The Louisville Blue Flame pitching machine is what you need. Very durable, with an adjustable arc/velocity, and very reliable/consistent with the "pitches." If you're skeptical, do a little research on here, you'll find nothing but positives.

Party mafia

check your local craig list for the LS blue flame pitching machine. Used one should be cheaper than the new one.

Gilchrist44

The one that the BP Hero uses seems to work good. He even has a set up video to show his setting and tips. LS Blue Flame

lukeamdman

Last year Walmart had them on sale for $90, and a new cashier somehow cut the price in half and couldn't correct it. Got mine for $45.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wal Mart usually stocks a couple and marks them down at the end of the season when they don't sell. I should've bought one when I found it at close to that price.

FranDog33

Coach
Blue Flame is by far the best. I remember my pops buying one when they new, before Louisville bought the rights to them. Works for baseballs, softballs, even whiffle balls.

I have a PopToss tee for when I can't get anyone to take BP with me. It works quite well, but I use it on a soccer field to keep dirt out of it.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
If you are going to bat alone IMO nothing beats the Wheeler Dealer. A little pricey but well worth it if you do a lot of BP.

Normy

Having the same issues with teammates throwing 90% balls during practice. Will be investing in a pitching machine soon as well. Leaning towards the Blue Flame.

wizkid2016

I've looked into the poptoss a few times.

I also have the same problem. When I practice with my team, no one ever throws strikes and it messes up my swing.

I've used the blueflame and it's the best i've seen.

Luckily my good friend has an indoor ironmike machine with a slowpitch arm. Nothing beats this machine indoors.

dunkky

Although machine throwing is much better than T, from my experience, it is also very different than human throwing. yes, it's not 90 m/h ball, but still their motion and other aspects makes it different. If anyone lives in north Dallas(Mckinney), we can do some BP on Sat. I am a pitcher also, so throwing strikes is no issue for me. Has not been the case for opposite, maybe i am getting one strike out of 5 or 6 throwing. Forget about strikes, i am talking about hittable balls.

Normy

Although machine throwing is much better than T, from my experience, it is also very different than human throwing. yes, it's not 90 m/h ball, but still their motion and other aspects makes it different. If anyone lives in north Dallas(Mckinney), we can do some BP on Sat. I am a pitcher also, so throwing strikes is no issue for me. Has not been the case for opposite, maybe i am getting one strike out of 5 or 6 throwing. Forget about strikes, i am talking about hittable balls.
Never actually used a pitching machine but I could see how this could cause problems timing wise. Nothing can totally replace live pitching but a machine would definitely come in handy at times. When we have a team practice and nobody else wants to pitch. Maybe a 50/50 mix would work in that case. I love pitching, just not two hours straight during practice.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
There a couple cues I use and tell other people to use.

1) Look down when you press on the pedal. When the operator looks up, hesitate just a second and then throw. This gives you a general idea of when the ball is going to be released. Usually when the operator looks up my weight is loaded and I'm ready to go. In the video below, skip to about the 4:00 mark just to get past all of the into crap and see how Dalton does what I'm describing there.

2) You can also have the operator use their glove hand and swing it in the motion of a pitchers arm. As their arm passes the handle then release it and it'll give you the timing that way. See James do that in this one.

Not saying any of this is right or wrong, and it may not work for everyone. Just a couple ways to make this machine work better for you. I truly believe these are great. 2017 was hands down my best year at the plate, and I attribute most of it to this machine.

J2009

Boom !!!!!
I suggested the blue flame to be lsx freak on his video a year or so ago, they are great and I just got another one at Walmart for $25 in clearance area

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
I suggested the blue flame to be lsx freak on his video a year or so ago, they are great and I just got another one at Walmart for $25 in clearance area
WalMart in your area is very generous.. Pics of receipt of it didn't happen..lol
Dang, sounds like Wally World is the place to look!
Not around here..
Dang, my Wally World's are always asking $179. I'll keep my eye out though.
Pretty much the same here.. I did happen across a WalMart in the next town north of me and saw the clearance sign with the price $89.99 but they were all out of them..

oppotaco13

Never actually used a pitching machine but I could see how this could cause problems timing wise. Nothing can totally replace live pitching but a machine would definitely come in handy at times. When we have a team practice and nobody else wants to pitch. Maybe a 50/50 mix would work in that case. I love pitching, just not two hours straight during practice.

I'm a pitcher and I always tell them I don't pitch bp because starters don't do that ****

I'm also a primadonna.

I'm also a very avg pitcher

lukeamdman

I had one of my best years for batting after taking thousands of pitches in BP from the blue flame in the last year. 2015 and 2016 were terrible years for me.

What it really helped with was identifying strikes much faster. 99 out of 100 pitches with this thing are strikes, so you get a really good eye for what they look like.

I also have two different settings with the same point of impact behind the plate. One is an ~8ft arch and the other is ~10ft and it takes less than 30 seconds to make the adjustment. Early on this year I was caught off guard by some lower pitches but practicing for both 8ft and 10ft fixed that right up.

I still take live pitching whenever I can, but it really saves a lot of time in BP when you don't have to watch all those bad pitches go by. Swinging at garbage isn't a good idea either.

Normy

I had one of my best years for batting after taking thousands of pitches in BP from the blue flame in the last year. 2015 and 2016 were terrible years for me.

What it really helped with was identifying strikes much faster. 99 out of 100 pitches with this thing are strikes, so you get a really good eye for what they look like.

I also have two different settings with the same point of impact behind the plate. One is an ~8ft arch and the other is ~10ft and it takes less than 30 seconds to make the adjustment. Early on this year I was caught off guard by some lower pitches but practicing for both 8ft and 10ft fixed that right up.

I still take live pitching whenever I can, but it really saves a lot of time in BP when you don't have to watch all those bad pitches go by. Swinging at garbage isn't a good idea either.
Thanks for the info. I will definitely have one of these for the team come spring.