Pitching mask help

yogi254

Addicted to Softballfans
Need a little help choosing a mask for pitching. I want to start pitching in a more competitive league but not until I buy a mask/helmet. I've asked around and the number one response I get is to grab the worth legit pitching mask but all reps say they're back ordered until mid-late June. Is there anything else out there that's works as good or better so I can start sooner? Thanks in advance.

blakcherry329

If only there was a thread about this...lol

just kidding...

It's all about personal preferrence. I use a lacrosse helmet w/the crossbar cut out. Some people use the Worth mask, Catcher's mask, Rip-it mask, etc. Just have to pick one

yogi254

Addicted to Softballfans
Is there a thread? I couldn't find it. If you could get me the link I'd appreciate it.

blakcherry329

doesn't matter. it's personal preference. You'll get 20 different answers. You just have to try different masks to get one you like.

c.mathews23

Addicted to Softballfans
I bought the Easton M7 Catchers helmet last year off amazon. Very secure, good vision. At least for me it is. But like a couple others have already said, it's a personal preference.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Easton-Catchers-Helmet-Black-Small/dp/B00LGBPJG2/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1463416083&sr=1-1&keywords=easton+m7+helmet"]Amazon.com : Easton M7 Catchers Helmet : Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/513FIsGLhmL.@@AMEPARAM@@513FIsGLhmL[/ame]

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
I bought the Easton M7 Catchers helmet last year off amazon. Very secure, good vision. At least for me it is. But like a couple others have already said, it's a personal preference.

Amazon.com : Easton M7 Catchers Helmet : Sports & Outdoors

Don't you find them heavy and ***bersome? When I was looking for mine it seemed that way when I tried those type helments. Ended up with a Schutt Titanium which was light and comfortable.

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
i use an easton stealth speed elite helmet that is a lot like the one above. (i think that was the model) i don't find it heavy or ***bersome at all. even breathes pretty well and i wore it mostly in south texas. for me, the fact that it was so secure and comfortable was most important. my vision with it was as good as my vision without. i think the worth pitching mask is essentially like the old school catcher's mask that was a helmet and mask in two parts so one being labelled a catcher's mask shouldn't steer anyone away

lx_2nv

Coach
My biggest gripe with the Worth is that the padding inside came unglued. On a routine fly ball when I looked up the helmet slid down and blocked my vision. May look into the other choices.

yogi254

Addicted to Softballfans
I tried the all star pro series they have at academy sports that my teammate has and found it was difficult to see out of. Plus I don't think I had it set to fit my head either so that may have been an issue.

OilCountryCanno

Star Player
RIP IT Defence is fine for me. Just started wearing it full time this year and the vision is pretty decent. no issues. I wear it without a hat.

yogi254

Addicted to Softballfans
My daughter has one for fastpitch. Maybe I'll try it out. I also heard about the glue thing with the worth helmet, but that's the first time I've actually heard of it causing a fielding issue.

c.mathews23

Addicted to Softballfans
Don't you find them heavy and ***bersome? When I was looking for mine it seemed that way when I tried those type helments. Ended up with a Schutt Titanium which was light and comfortable.

To me not really. It took some getting used too and it is a little heavier than some but I've worn it so much now that I've gotten used to it so no worries at all here.

i turned an old lacross helmet into this with just some kevlar and vinyl

547648137_tp.jpg
$_1.JPG

sure i have zero peripheral vision, but who needs it when you look like a bad ass...it's not about seeing, it's about intimidating the hitter and letting her know just how bad ass i am (like she couldn't already tell by my matching arm sleeves and sliding pads)

only thing i'm considering is some ventilation...i passed out from lack of oxygen in the middle of my sunday afternoon church league, luckily my helmet prevented and head trauma

ryanclink

goes hard your way catch
I'd expect nothing less than Brando rocking a B.A. helmet. Wearing it while pitching in a co-ed church league is a bit intriguing but so was his choice to slide into 2B with high cleats into Sister Margerets knees. Poor dear sill is limping this week.

Josh L.

Extra Hitter
I have a cascade lacrosse helmet I got from Play it again sports for $50. It's done it's job, my only advice on a lacrosse helmet would be to find one that has a mechanism to adjust how tight it is on your head then you don't really need to wear the chin strap. In my league there's a guy wearing a rip it, three in lacrosse helmets, one in a catchers helmet, two in worth pitchers helmets the other two wear nothing.

mongohitballfar

Cool Deal
If only there was a thread about this...lol

just kidding...

It's all about personal preferrence. I use a lacrosse helmet w/the crossbar cut out. Some people use the Worth mask, Catcher's mask, Rip-it mask, etc. Just have to pick one

I also use a lacrosse helmet with the crossbar cut out. I had tried a buddies worth mask, but preferred the lacrosse helmet.

lil_slugger

I just bought my first pitching mask, it's the "Rip It Defense Guard". I tried to attach a picture but I'm not sure if it'll work (just joined and am figuring this out). I haven't had any issues with it this far, visibility is surprisingly good and fairly comfy (if you can call pitching masks comfy). Worth a shot if you can get a hold of it.

rip-it-defense-fielders-mask-150817163719.jpg

I'd expect nothing less than Brando rocking a B.A. helmet. Wearing it while pitching in a co-ed church league is a bit intriguing but so was his choice to slide into 2B with high cleats into Sister Margerets knees. Poor dear sill is limping this week.

I sent her a bouquet of daisies, we're cool #jesustakethefield

I started with the worth and have since gone to the lacrosse helmet. I prefer the lacrosse, although it is a little heavier. Only thing I wish the lacrosse had was the fabric pads inside like the worth. On hot days the worth helmet tends to catch the sweat better from going into eyes.

c.mathews23

Addicted to Softballfans
I started with the worth and have since gone to the lacrosse helmet. I prefer the lacrosse, although it is a little heavier. Only thing I wish the lacrosse had was the fabric pads inside like the worth. On hot days the worth helmet tends to catch the sweat better from going into eyes.

I tried a friend of mine's lacrosse helmet and I said the same thing which is why I got the Easton.

RIP IT Defence is fine for me. Just started wearing it full time this year and the vision is pretty decent. no issues. I wear it without a hat.

i use the same mask and for a hat i use a coaches helmet turned around just like the catchers do.....that way the top of your head is protected....

Dr. Funkenstein

Addicted to Softballfans
i turned an old lacross helmet into this with just some kevlar and vinyl

547648137_tp.jpg
$_1.JPG

sure i have zero peripheral vision, but who needs it when you look like a bad ass...it's not about seeing, it's about intimidating the hitter and letting her know just how bad ass i am (like she couldn't already tell by my matching arm sleeves and sliding pads)

only thing i'm considering is some ventilation...i passed out from lack of oxygen in the middle of my sunday afternoon church league, luckily my helmet prevented and head trauma

This seems like a business opportunity...