Played against a painted ultraII

riotact

don't pitch, learn to hit
Saw them hitting missles with the shiniest freak98 I have ever seen. I have never actually ever seen one in person till today(that I know of) I was playing 3B and the guy hit the ball right to me and the bat had a very distinct loud "CLACK" when he hit with it, almost like a combat, but hollower sound. When I picked up the bat over by our dugout, I looked for the serial # and noticed there wasn't one. Other than that, I couldn't really tell it was a paint job. The hitter did look at me funny when I was looking at the bat, but I just smiled and handed it back to him.

We were winning pretty big, and he was the only one using it that I could see.

so yah, never called him out, and we won :D

greasyswing

Addicted to Softballfans
Saw them hitting missles with the shiniest freak98 I have ever seen. I have never actually ever seen one in person till today(that I know of) I was playing 3B and the guy hit the ball right to me and the bat had a very distinct loud "CLACK" when he hit with it, almost like a combat, but hollower sound. When I picked up the bat over by our dugout, I looked for the serial # and noticed there wasn't one. Other than that, I couldn't really tell it was a paint job. The hitter did look at me funny when I was looking at the bat, but I just smiled and handed it back to him.

you should have beat him with it and broke it over the fence that cheating !@#$.....;)

sk31

Unicorn tags for days
This has to be getting less and less common, right? Seems like a lot of work and Ultra 2's have to run out eventually.

Swilldog

Everyone loves bombs!
i hope the whole cheater bat thing fades out and the poor excuses people say for using one.

ISLANDGROWN

Addicted to Softballfans
i've seen some that looked factory done as rip it reapers and miken vicious's.can't tell til they hit it,the sound gives it away.

Biglny33

Addicted to Softballfans
I got a boy that stripped his Ultra down and painted it black but can't find anyone stickers... he swung in bp over the weekend and he cant hit for power but when he has that bat in his hand its a completely different story... he may want to sell it though since he is nowhere near 50 and cant use it anywhere

brock

Addicted to Softballfans

it wouldnt have made a loud CLACK.

ultras have a very distinct dead sound

warpath

BUTT****ING THE WORLD
I got a boy that stripped his Ultra down and painted it black but can't find anyone stickers... he swung in bp over the weekend and he cant hit for power but when he has that bat in his hand its a completely different story... he may want to sell it though since he is nowhere near 50 and cant use it anywhere

He obviously isn't going to use in a senior league if he stripped it down and painted it black you dumb ass.

B~TOWN

Addicted to Softballfans
At the begging of our season I saw tons of shiny Freak98 bomb droppers . Trend seems to be going away quickly since our LD has been at the park almost every night evaluating the umps and teams . Last week we played a team that couldn't keep the ball in park at the begging of the season last week they couldn't even hit a ball over our outfielders .

rme0018

<font color="RED">Outstanding Bad Dealer</font>
the easiest way to tell is look at the graphic and on a painted one the blue in the decal will be darker than the real freak 98's.

Hebrew Hacker

Derby Jew

PM teddersx6; he might be able to help you out.

slugger15

Addicted to Softballfans
Been seeing more and more of this lately...all the guys on some teams using one F98...knob is all worn down and stripped of paint, but the barrel is shiney and new...

VF500Racer

Addicted to Softballfans
I would say you'll see them mostly in tournies but not in league...
I never saw one in league play...
Shaved one yes, but not painted ones... $$$???

Last edited:

gittyup11

Addicted to Softballfans
there are a few that i have seen but they are using the original ultra not the ultra 2. 1 guy has his painted as a viscious the other as a freak 98. its rediculous that they get away with it because the umps dont know whats what even when they have been questioned.

i was playing in a park/cash tourney last year and this dood was swinging an ultra 2. he'd hit and then put it in his bag. i looked at him and he knew i knew. then he starts talking **** after i get a hit and blah, blah, blah. he was a bum using an ultra 2. that's my story.

synergy40

Addicted to Softballfans
At the begging of our season I saw tons of shiny Freak98 bomb droppers . Trend seems to be going away quickly since our LD has been at the park almost every night evaluating the umps and teams . Last week we played a team that couldn't keep the ball in park at the begging of the season last week they couldn't even hit a ball over our outfielders .

yeah we had one team we played against last year, had this maroon bat, they buy a new one every year. so this year we ask him where is your bat, 2 of the guys on our team know him. he said it broke and had no warrenty, riiiiiiiiiiiiight, it has a return just not when its shaved. he hits bombs with that bat and he was swinging a freak and couldnt hit one farther than 275. :rolleyes:

Carlyboy

Addicted to Softballfans
I play in a "no Miken" NSA league. The LD says its to avoid the painted Ultras. I think its a useless rule. With all the rampant shaving out there, Im sure there are plenty of non-Miken bats "thinner" than the Ultra, and probably more endloaded than the "Max Load" And like someone pointed out, they paint them to look like other brands anyway. Just choose your weapon and go out there and play, dont worry about the other guys bats. Its been going on for years now......no use stamping our feet over it.....Just my .02

riotact

don't pitch, learn to hit
I never stomped my feet. Like I said, I have hit at least 5 or 6 freak98's and I know how hard I hit, and when a lil kid who is like 17, hits a ball at me harder than the 6'6" power hitters, I tend to notice the bat. I just happened to noticed it was a brand new freak98....he hit a ball that I threw him out on and he had tossed the bat down the line some, and when I picked it up I just looked it over, rotated the bat looking for the serial...didn't see one and thats when I knew.

I handed it back, and i'm sure he knew....i KNEW :D

Carlyboy

Addicted to Softballfans
I hear ya, Im sure you have played against alot more than you know of, the good ones have serial numbers, and the other brands are near impossible to spot. And the slick players rough 'em up a bit before they bring 'em out.