Player assisted HR or Double call.

vanmol

A ball tipped in fair territory that goes over the outfield fence is obviously a HR. How about this play? An outfilder tips a ball in FAIR territory and the ball goes over the outfield fence BUT in foul territory.. I would call it a HR also but would I be correct?

ureout

The Veteran
this is not considered a HR it is a four base award and shouldn't be counted toward the total of over-the-fence home run count ... if a team/tournament has a limit

vanmol

It appears that my view is correct. Whether tipped over the outfield fence into fair or foul territory it is considered as a player assisted HR or 4 base error and does not count against any HR limit.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
A ball tipped in fair territory that goes over the outfield fence is obviously a HR. How about this play? An outfilder tips a ball in FAIR territory and the ball goes over the outfield fence BUT in foul territory.. I would call it a HR also but would I be correct?

Speaking USA, this is a two-base award (RS 26.c)

ureout

The Veteran
Speaking USA, this is a two-base award (RS 26.c)

not according to this... and your RS26C is only for games played on shortened fields

Section 8. HOME RUN RULE
NOTE:
a. Any fair fly ball touched by a defensive player that clears or has cleared over the fence in fair territory, should be declared a fourbase
award and shall not be included in the total of over-the-fence home runs

RS
26. HOME RUNS / FOUR BASE AWARDS / GROUND RULE DOUBLES.
When a ball does not hit the ground and leaves the playing field in fair territory,
it is a home run. In Slow Pitch, any fair fly ball touched by a defensive
player on either side of the fence that clears or has cleared the fence in fair
territory, should be declared a four-base award and shall not be included
in the total of over-the-fence home runs.
A. A batted ball hitting a foul pole above the fence is a home run.
B. A batted ball hitting the top of the fence and bouncing over in fair territory
is a home run.
C. A batted ball going over the fence in fair territory at a distance shorter
than the recommended minimum distance is a two base award.
D. A batted ball hitting a defensive player in fair territory, but going over
the fence in foul territory is a two base award.
E. A batted ball that leaves the park in fair territory and first touches the
ground in foul territory is a home run.

Last edited:

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
not according to this... and your RS26C is only for games played on shortened fields

Section 8. HOME RUN RULE
NOTE:
a. Any fair fly ball touched by a defensive player that clears or has cleared over the fence in fair territory, should be declared a fourbase

RS
26. HOME RUNS / FOUR BASE AWARDS / GROUND RULE DOUBLES.
When a ball does not hit the ground and leaves the playing field in fair territory,
A. A batted ball hitting a foul pole above the fence is a home run.
B. A batted ball hitting the top of the fence and bouncing over in fair territory
is a home run.
C. A batted ball going over the fence in fair territory at a distance shorter
than the recommended minimum distance is a two base award.
E. A batted ball that leaves the park in fair territory and first touches the
ground in foul territory is a home run.

No such condition set in the 2019 book, page 133

ureout

The Veteran

irish ...you are right I don't have the 2019 edition... it's a few years old.... so are you saying that there is no longer a HR explanation anywhere in Rule 5?? and that they removed the HOME RUNS / FOUR BASE AWARDS / GROUND RULE DOUBLES. explanations in RS?? ...or that they are not on pg 133... please paste the rule where you state that it's a 2 base award on a normal size field

Country469

I don't understand how the foul poul (lol) should matter in this scenario.

Ball touches fielder in fair play, live ball correct?
goes over fence in fair is now 2 bases in USA or 4? If its 4 it should be 2 for the foul fence too the fairness of the ball has already been established, the error takes the ball out play in the same manner, should be the same aware imo?

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Irish is correct. A batted ball that is touched by a defender in fair territory that then goes over the fence in foul territory is a 2 base award. See RS 26C.

Country469

once the ball is touched in fair play by a fielder, the foul pole is moot and has nothing to do with play at all anymore. If a player knocks a live, fair ball, out of play the penalty should be the same no matter where its at. 4 base error or 2 base, but it should be consistent across the board,

Joker

ball bounces off canseco's head and over the fence in fair territory = home run
ball bounces off canseco's head in fair territory and goes over the fence in foul territory, you calling that a home run?
if a normal batted ball clears the fence in foul territory, it's not a home run
but, the ball still contacted a player and/or the field in fair territory and bounced over the fence, out of play. sure sounds like a ground rule double to me

Country469

I would call neither a home run.

Error, with whatever base award it is. And when its an award based on carrying or moving the ball out of play, it should be consistent across the board. It would make more sense for them ALL to be a ground rule double rather than a 4 bases on a ball landing over a fair fence.

I fail to see how the play is any different if you are in the lf corner, canseco scenario, and it goes fair vs foul by a foot or whatever.

The chance it happens to an infielder or any other position is either so low it laughable or moot based on field dimensions and design.

Iceman6409

I would have called it a ground rule double. But ground rule double or 2 base award is essentially the same thing.

Joker

I would call neither a home run.

Error, with whatever base award it is. And when its an award based on carrying or moving the ball out of play, it should be consistent across the board. It would make more sense for them ALL to be a ground rule double rather than a 4 bases on a ball landing over a fair fence.

I fail to see how the play is any different if you are in the lf corner, canseco scenario, and it goes fair vs foul by a foot or whatever.

The chance it happens to an infielder or any other position is either so low it laughable or moot based on field dimensions and design.

fair or foul makes a difference in all other scenarios, but shouldn't in this one? trolling dumbass irish is fun but this makes no sense

Country469

foul in any other scenario is just a foul ball tho, ie you touch it in foul territory first its just a foul ball. We have that rule clearly defined.

Joker

and this is also clearly defined

Joker

Country469

yeah, Im maintaining it should be a 4 bases award all the time as the foul pole is meaningless to the scenario other than just writing a rule to write another rule. The "foul" line/pole/etc is meaningless to the play scenario at that time.

Joker

a ball that never touches the ground and goes over the wall on the fly in fair territory is a home run
a ball that never touches the ground and goes over the wall on the fly in foul territory is not a home run (foul ball)

a ball that never touches the ground but hits a fielder in fair territory and goes over the wall in fair territory is a home run (4 bases)
a ball that never touches the ground but hits a fielder in fair territory and goes over the wall in foul territory is not a home run (2 bases)

see how that tracks?

Country469

if the same scenario, had the ball hit the ground first, the rules don't change. so they shouldn't if its doesn.t

fair ball both ways.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I have argued this with State UIC's in both USA and USSSA as well as with the National Director of Officials for USSSA. The ruling in both associations is consistent, if the ball is touched in fair territory but goes over the fence in foul territory it is a two base award. I feel it should be a four base award but no one in upper management agrees with me.

Country469

right.............. while I really really don't find this to be possible, the scenario allows that we at least mention it.

If you are chasing a ball down that you cannot catch, but could only tip, you'd be better off tipping it over the outfield foul fence than trying to keep in the yard. a double on a ball hit to the corner like that is best case scenario

longball101

Part Time Player
It's fairly simple (pun intended) A HR or 4 base award ONLY occurs in between the 2 foul poles in fair territory. For all intended purposes, there is no "back fence" in foul territory, foul territory is a straight line from home plate to the foul pole, all of which is considered a "side fence" per say

vanmol

Just returned to this post after being away for awhile. It seems that the popular answer to my question is that if the player assisted ball clears the outfield fence but in foul territory it is a 2 base award and not a 4 base award. I this ever occurs when I am behind the plate I will go with the 2 base scenario. Thanks for all your input
PS----If I make that call and get any flack I will just have to put the blame on ya all as I think it should be a 4 base error or award or whatever.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
What rules are you umpiring under? I'm pretty sure this was on both the USSSA and USA umpire exams the last couple years.

vanmol

What rules are you umpiring under? I'm pretty sure this was on both the USSSA and USA umpire exams the last couple years.

Like I said, I am new to umpiring and have never taken these tests. Our softball league hold clinics every year to certify the umps. I think they use ussa and a combination of several other organizations rules which were adopted by out league.