ASA Player Ejected after Bench Warning

Bill From Hanov

Addicted to Softballfans
Yesterday we had a double header and during the 1st game the one team questioned a call at 2nd base that the runner left early after a fly out. The field umpire clearly was watching the base runner and listening for the other plate umpire to make the call and also listen for the ball crack the glove, the team challenged the call saying the runner left early and clearly the umpire made the right the call that the runner left properly. After that the team was making nasty comments to that umpire for the remaining time of that game.

During the 2nd game that field umpire was behind the plate, that team was challenging every pitch coming in, that umpire called time and approached the team and gave them a warning that anymore nonsense and someone will be ejected, well as soon as that umpire turned his back to get back to the plate a few players from that team started laughing at him and the warning, showing complete disrespect for a game official. That umpire turned and ejected a player that was clearly laughing in his face. That player remained on the bench complaining and the umpire ignored it. That ejected player questioned his ejection saying your tossing me for laughing, seriously ... and that is total BS. Umpire ignored him and resumed play.

As a spectator watching this game, I think the umpire tolerated the abuse quite well, however it must have hit a point where enough was enough with those players questioning his calls at the plate and to be totally disrespected as he was.

Opinions ? Correct action taken by the umpire ?

ureout

The Veteran
yes... but he should have given a warning much sooner....and when he ejected the player make him leave the dugout and field area..

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
This is why we can't have nice things.

There's no need for players to act like jackasses on the field. If that's how you want to act, then you'll get sent.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
I think the umpire tolerated the abuse quite well...

Why is there an assumption that a game official has to "tolerate abuse"?

Nasty comments for an entire game just because a team didn't agree with a judgment call? Sorry, not happening in a game I'm working.

When this stuff starts up, nip it in the bud early because it will seldom get better as the game goes on if you don't. If anything it's just going to get worse. This umpire's failure to address things early on allowed the problems to escalate.

So, it only took him a game and a half of getting abused before he finally did something about it? Better late than never, I guess. But if you're going to eject somebody...make it stick! Remind them that the ejected player has one minute to be out of sight and out of sound and, if he's not, you will declare a forfeit. That usually gets them moving along..

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I agree - why do people still assume that it's okay to berate an official, then act shocked and surprised when they get dumped?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Yesterday we had a double header and during the 1st game the one team questioned a call at 2nd base that the runner left early after a fly out. The field umpire clearly was watching the base runner and listening for the other plate umpire to make the call and also listen for the ball crack the glove, the team challenged the call saying the runner left early and clearly the umpire made the right the call that the runner left properly. After that the team was making nasty comments to that umpire for the remaining time of that game.

The umpire needs to change his mechanics, but that does not excuse *******.

During the 2nd game that field umpire was behind the plate, that team was challenging every pitch coming in, that umpire called time and approached the team and gave them a warning that anymore nonsense and someone will be ejected, well as soon as that umpire turned his back to get back to the plate a few players from that team started laughing at him and the warning, showing complete disrespect for a game official. That umpire turned and ejected a player that was clearly laughing in his face. That player remained on the bench complaining and the umpire ignored it. That ejected player questioned his ejection saying your tossing me for laughing, seriously ... and that is total BS. Umpire ignored him and resumed play.

This guy sounds like he is his own worst enemy. Warning my ass. If they acted that way in the first game, just get rid of them when it continues. If not sure who needs to go, get rid of the manager or whomever is in charge of that team on the field. When asked why, the simple response is, "if you cannot do your job of controlling your players, there is no reason for you to be here". And I really don't care if it is also an active player, then you will need a sub. And you wait until they are gone or are confident they are heading out before you continue play. If they just won't go, sign the other teams scorebook with your name and a large 7-0 score

As a spectator watching this game, I think the umpire tolerated the abuse quite well, however it must have hit a point where enough was enough with those players questioning his calls at the plate and to be totally disrespected as he was.

Opinions ? Correct action taken by the umpire ?

Every umpire has their trigger point, some sooner, some late, but when it comes, act. I learned a long time ago, trying to be the nice guy gets you nothing, but grief.

Then again, you can always play their game and REALLY piss them off! :)

watsonrg

Questioning ball and strike calls by anyone other than the pitcher, catcher, or batter is grounds for ejection.

If I hear it I call on the manager and explain that to him. I also explain that I will eject the next offending player, but if I can't identify the offending player I will eject the manager.

Works for me.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've always been told by umps they aren't arguing balls and strikes. I've also had an umpire, while using a warning, say if I can't tell who it is I'm effecting your pitcher. That worked better than anything I've seen because not only does nobody else want to pitch, they know their team won't have their back so much if it comes to that.

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
Nobody mentioned the PU that let a team jabber at his FU? I wouldn't let that go on any more than I'd let them jaw at me. Bad calls happen, you let the players grumble for a bit but when they won't let it go you shut them down. After an ejection I give them 5 minutes to leave the property (stand alone field) and I make it clear to the coach that it is on him or her to make that happen. Player doesn't leave, FFT.

JabNblue

Why is there an assumption that a game official has to "tolerate abuse"?

Nasty comments for an entire game just because a team didn't agree with a judgment call? Sorry, not happening in a game I'm working.

When this stuff starts up, nip it in the bud early because it will seldom get better as the game goes on if you don't. If anything it's just going to get worse. This umpire's failure to address things early on allowed the problems to escalate.

So, it only took him a game and a half of getting abused before he finally did something about it? Better late than never, I guess. But if you're going to eject somebody...make it stick! Remind them that the ejected player has one minute to be out of sight and out of sound and, if he's not, you will declare a forfeit. That usually gets them moving along..
Bretman nailed it. We all as umpires have our level of thick skin. But in this case, without me being there and all said is accurate he did let it go way to long. What surprises me is the umpire allowed the player to sit on the bench and keep doing what had been going on. Definitely out of sight out of sound. If not, ballgame.

watsonrg

↑Questioning ball and strike calls by anyone other than the pitcher, catcher, or batter is grounds for ejection.

Questioning ball and strike calls by anyone is grounds for ejection after a warning.

Fixed it for you.

Disagree. Nothing wrong with a pitcher, catcher, or batter asking why a ball or strike was called. Arguing is a different matter.

What always gets me is after a called third strike, the bench erupts, but the batter doesn't say a word and walks back to the bench. Same with a walk, the bench complains but the catcher doesn't say a word.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

Disagree. Nothing wrong with a pitcher, catcher, or batter asking why a ball or strike was called. Arguing is a different matter.

They can ask all they want, not going to get much of an answer Strike - "it was in the zone", ball - "it wasn't in the zone"

watsonrg

They can ask all they want, not going to get much of an answer Strike - "it was in the zone", ball - "it wasn't in the zone"

What is so hard about, "just missed inside", or "pitch was deep"? Most often it's a reasonable question on a borderline call. No need to be a hard ass.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
It's usually not hard to tell where the pitch was. If it was right over the plate, then it must have been high. If it was a little in, then it was inside. Why is this such a mystery?

I might answer the first or second time, but I'm doing it through the catcher. After a while, it becomes coaching, and that's not what I'm there for. A catcher who's worth a darn will be able to tell his pitcher where to make the adjustments.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

What is so hard about, "just missed inside", or "pitch was deep"? Most often it's a reasonable question on a borderline call. No need to be a hard ass.

The umpire is not a coach or a play-by-play announcer. The catcher knows damn well where the pitch was, s/he can tell him After all, they know the strike zone better than the umpire, right?