Player Eligibility

colbyjacks

Addicted to Softballfans
We are an USSSA E team. I have someone who wants to pick up with us when he can for tournaments. He is on the official roster for another team who just got moved up to D by the Area Director. That team while they were in E won a berth to World for this year. Their roster is not frozen because of the bump up. Right now with his job and working on some Saturdays, he can't commit to playing with them all the time and they play some out of state tournaments. My question is am I allowed to pick up this guy for a tournament? I tried to give as much info as I knew.

tnacty

Director
Definitely nothing saying you can't pick him up. What is possible however is your director could reclassify you based on that pickup if they deem it significantly changes the character of your team. I'd suggest you ask your director if you're still eligible to play E if you pick the dude up.

trent42

The Nation
What about a C player dropping to E? Neither of the teams are frozen. Is there anything in the rules saying this is a no no?

tnacty

Director
That's entirely a State Director's call. Nothing in the book but I know many directors who don't allow a two class drop. Only thing I can think of from the bylaws involves Major and A players dropping down. I have a few former B guys in D and an old C guy or two in E, but that's because I know the players in question.

My advice as always is ask your State Director. Better to ask permission than forgiveness and if your director is anything like I am, a working relationship with them as a player/ manager is definitely advantageous. The guys on here from my state would definitely tell you the same....

Stallings18

Outsider Looking in!
It depends if your frozen also.. If your team has a frozen/ qualified roster you can not pick up another player that has been on a level above roster, Regardless if they have qualified or not..

mrcub8

maybe next year!-Cub fans
well you are assuming he meant Q's/NIT's for tourney....he really didn't say....